Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

The hills school

baseball2baseball2 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
edited April 2009 in Prep School Admissions
Could anybody please share with me the ranking of The Hills school in Pottstown,PA.
Any detail and inside of this school is appreciated.
Post edited by baseball2 on

Replies to: The hills school

• MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,193 Senior Member
    First of all, it is "The Hill" (no plural). Secondly, there are many ways of ranking schools and much of the ranking discussions are pretty meaningless. The Hill is an excellent school in the MAPL conference. It is not in New England, as you noted, but has strong academics and athletics and happy students.
  • baseball2baseball2 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    thanks for correcting me.
    how is the diversity in this school
  • teamamteamam Registered User Posts: 447 Member
    It's near a nuclear radiation plant. or was.
  • I really hopeI really hope Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Personally, I disliked the school when I visited, but that was just what I felt.
    I really hope: I feel the same
  • 2et2et Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    MomofWildChild is right--so many variables to rank a school and what's "good" to one, isn't to the other. This school has a good reputation--that's what made us visit.

But we took a right when we should have taken a left to get in to the school and we were stunned by the abject poverty that makes up "the hill" across the road. Does that matter? The memory stays with me...
  • PorterSargentPorterSargent Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    baseball2, you asked about Hill's diversity. Here's our data from The Handbook of Private Schools: Out of 494 students, 77% white, 3% Latino, 7% black, 1% Native American, 10% Asian, 2% other. 12% international students.
    Thank you so much for all the information you are sharing.How is there matriculation data
  • PorterSargentPorterSargent Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    For the class of 2008, out of 147 graduates and 145 matriculating directly to college, the top six schools attended were Trinity College (6 students), George Washington (5), Georgetown (5), Hobart & William Smith (5), US Naval Academy (5) and NYU (4).
  • fun is funfun is fun Registered User Posts: 1,035 Senior Member
    IMHO, The Hill is still recovering from their late switch (compared to what WERE their peers) to co-education. Deerfield was late too but overcame it. The Hill also suffers from its location in Pottstown, PA, which has never been mistaken for Paris.

That said, it is still a very fine school.
  • NoDramaNoDrama Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    The campus is pretty nice, but for some reason it's just not a very poplular school even though it's one of the "ten schools".
  • Burb ParentBurb Parent Registered User Posts: 2,100 Senior Member
    Other than location problems noted above, it's a good traditional school with fine facilities.
    The majority of the people who post on this board are familiar with the New England schools. As a result, Hill is not included in many discussions.

I've been to the campus for a few sports events, and I've seen Hill students at other sports events. They seem to be a nice group of students.
    There matriculation list is not as impressive as other schools of TEN SCHOOL ORGANIZATION
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,193 Senior Member
    The campus is nice and the facilities are excellent. While Pottstown itself is not the greatest town, the surrounding countryside is beautiful. You are not far from King of Prussia (great mall) and Valley Forge Military Park. There is a wonderful hike/bike trail close by. There is a great new outlet mall within minutes (besides King of Prussia). Athletics are strong, and college matriculation is just fine.
    If you aren't liking what you are hearing, check out Blair, Peddie or Lawrenceville.
This discussion has been closed.