Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Some Stuff That Took That Took Forever To Type

Replies to: Some Stuff That Took That Took Forever To Type

• watertesterwatertester Registered User Posts: 534 Member
    some stats:
    Acceptance rate: 522/2636 = 19.8%
    yield: 64%
    Financial aid: 27%
    47.6% Caucasian, 28.7% Asian, 16.1% students of color and 7.6% unkown
    17% international (!)
  • chaidrinkerchaidrinker Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    I thought Exeter was a richer school than Andover and with a larger endowment. If Andover could maintain its need blind status this year, then why couldn't Exeter do so?
  • PA-CPA-C Registered User Posts: 960 Member
    Thingslost: I do feel cheated- although not sure if this is what you meant.

I feel a little bit like a legacy family now- we MAY have had an unfair advantage in son's admission to Exeter but we'll probably never know what he was rated A1-A2 ect.. He had excellent grades/recs/essay, good interview, but not amazing ECs so probably A2.

We applied for FA but were not given any- so we were put back in the FP pool I'm sure. We'll never know if S would have been admitted if we had been awarded FA. On the flip side I think S would have been admitted to MX if we did not apply for FA- he was waitlisted.

As far as this affecting the quality of the classes- I don't agree with that in my son's case- his academics, discussion ability and class participation are excellent. I don't think someone who had a more unusual EC (which is what I think he is lacking to be rated A1) would necessarily be a more interesting/better participant in class discussions than he will. As for diversity- they seemed to have off set that a bit by admitting lots of FP foreign students!

All in all a shame- but I guess this is what people who are legacies or minorities may feel when admitted - was it all me or was it my "hook".

One thought I had about Andover- I wonder if more of their endowment is earmarked for FA by the benefactor- ex: Tang scholarship. So even if they wanted to they could not change their policy without losing that money. Of course I am oversimplifying but when I was thinking about why E changed and A didn't that was one thought that came to mind.
    Also, E never came out and said they were need blind according to the article. Pretty careful word choice if you ask me..
  • PA-CPA-C Registered User Posts: 960 Member
    istoleyournose: When you first start quoting you write about class of 2012- was that supposed to be class of 2013? I don't see much about entering 9th graders.
  • JC65JC65 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Full-paying students can also be great students and high-quality classes. My S was accepted by other great great schools though he's FP.
  • MaterSMaterS Registered User Posts: 1,558 Senior Member
    It's a slippery slope to start admitting lower quality students.
  • HockeyDad95HockeyDad95 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Trying to understand how much drift there actually is in the quality of students. Lots of assumptions here, but think some of the implications are interesting. From previous articles, 27% of 522 admitted on FA = 141. Since they didn't consider 71 A1 candidates due to FA needs, think we can assume that all A2 admitted were FP = 154. Assuming that A1's have a greater range of BS choices, assume that yield is lower -- 50% for the sake of argument. So with 145 A1's accepting admission, implies 290 A1 students admitted. So 141 out of 290 A1 admitted students received FA offer. Assume (big assumption) that 60% of A1 FA students accept admission, works out to 85 FA A1 students that accepted admission. Implies that 60 FP A1 students accepted admission out of 149 (290-141) admitted A1 FP = 40% yield (sounds too low, which implies that the 60% FA A1 acceptance is too high). At any rate, leaves 141-85 = 56 FA spots open. Assuming the same 60% yield on the 71 A1's not admitted due to FA considerations = 43 that would accept spots on the waitlist. Given that estimated 56 FA spots declined, I assume the 20 additional waitlist students offered admission will be from the A1 FA pool given the available resources. So the final total A1 pool of students will be 145 + 20 = 165. Without consideration of FA, total A1 pool would have been 145 + 43 = 188. So drift is 23 A1 students out of roughly 325 accepting admission. If 290 + 71 = 361 A1 students applied, then the 23 student drift works out to 6.4% shift. Other than additional FA, they can achieve the additional 23 student A1 representation by increasing the yield on FP A1 students from a very low 40% assumption to roughly 55%. However, not really clear if the concern of faculty is the decline in A1 students as a percent of total student population, or a decline in the number of A1 students on FA, or both. Seems that it would be equally important to improve yield on FP A1 applicants as well as provide financial resources for FA A1 applicants.
  • NoDramaNoDrama Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    I think that was a wrong decision made by the Exeter's trustees. It's not that they couldn't do it but because they didn't want to - might not be in "bad wolf" way though but rather they had other priorities. It's interesting to see some people second guessing Andover's policy because Exeter dropped its NB. Does that make sense? We didn't hear SPS or Deerfield changed their FA policy either. SPS increased FA this year and had a smaller tuition increase. i guess we are just too cynical to believe anything that seems too good to be true.
  • catgcatg Registered User Posts: 516 Member
    just because SPS and Deerfield didn't change their fa policy doesn't mean it was the right policy. Let's wait a year and see what happens. It may turn out that Exeter was actually the only one that was thinking correctly for the long term good of the institution.
  • SoontoBoardSoontoBoard Registered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    Well Exeter lost 20-25% of their endowment. They probably had different, worse investments than Andover.
  • TomTheCatTomTheCat Registered User Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Andover lost 22% of its endowment. It's quite likely that the stocks and bonds Andover's endowment is held in are just as volatile as Exeter's.
  • HockeyDad95HockeyDad95 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    As always, my guess is that the devil is in the details. In an Andover article in another post, Andover noted that applications for FA were up from 55% to 61% of applicants. However, FA only increased from 42% to 44% of matriculating students. I guess it was lucky for Andover, being need blind, that all those additional students who needed financial aid didn't meet their need blind admissions standards (sorry for picking on Andover Tom). Based on the range of financial aid packages I've heard offered from school to school for the same student, I assume that schools can relatively easily stay true to their need blind admissions policy while still managing their FA budget via higher or lower average awards. Would be interesting to see the yield % for FA admitted students versus FP admitted students at the various schools. Might tell you a lot about the relative strength of the FA grants at each institution.
  • vk77vk77 Registered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    exeter are just stingy lol
    thanx for the post.
  • Padre13Padre13 Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    I don't think it was luck that made the % receiving aid rise at a slower rate than the % requesting. In fact, I'd expect it.

First, many with marginal aid requirements that might not have requested aid in the past probably did so this year. That could be because they are less confident in their ability to pay due to economic conditions or, more likely, because they no longer have to pass on applying out of fear that it will reduce their chances for admission. Some of those students won't qualify although Andover may provide aid in the future if their circumstances worsen.

Second, Many academically marginal candidates with significant FA requirements that wouldn't have bothered to apply in the past ("With my grades/test scores and FA needs it doesn't make sense to apply because I'll never get in") are now free to try and overcome the longshot odds. Obviously a smaller percentage of those students will be accepted.

As for the amount of aid, Andover commits to meeting 100% of a student's demonstrated need. Obviously schools can may interpret a family's requirements differently, but they have traditionally been very generous and I've heard nothing to indicate that's changed.
  • NoDramaNoDrama Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    well, if you think Exeter made the right decision then you are not alone. At least Exeter's trustees thought so too. I dont' know. Maybe Exeter saved itself by dropping NB one year ahead of other schools? History will tell. It certainly didn't do much good to the school this year. Its reputation was hurt, and look at the stats. Lower yield, higher acceptance rate, lower FA. If you are ranking it with its peer schools such as Andover, SPS and Deerfield based on this year's data, it's not as a difficult task as it used to be.
This discussion has been closed.