Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Some Stuff That Took That Took Forever To Type

istoleyournose!istoleyournose! Registered User Posts: 607 Member
edited May 2009 in Prep School Admissions
Alright here's two article that you guys better than thank me for typing up =p

Recession Slices into Admit Yield
Fewer students admitted to Pea will enroll this year.
The 2009 admissions yield dropped by 5 percent compared to last year, according to Director of Admissions Michael Gary and Admissions Operations Manager Lisa Jennings, with "financial difficulty being one of the top reasons for declining PEA's offer of admission," Jennings said.
Last year's enrollment rate was 69 percent.
"If we had offered financial aid to more applicants, the yield might have been higher," Gary said.
He cited competition as the second biggest reason why some admits declined Exeter's offer. "Many of four admitted applicants have also been accepted to several other baording schools and they chose other boarding schools over exeter." Gary said.
Ricky Hong, who lives in Seoul, South Korea, was accepted to both PEA and Phillips Academy Andover, but after giving a lot of thought to his decision, decided to attend Andover. "For me, it was not a matter of which school is better, but which school I felt more suited to," Hong said.
"From the tours I took last year, I got the feeling, even though it was a vague impression, that Andover has a more liberal atmosphere and I thought that it suited my personality better."
On the other hand, students who decided to enroll at PEA also had their own reasons for their decision.
Renee Wang of Saratoga, California, will enroll as a prep in September. "I attended Exeter Summer School this past summer and this experience had made me decide to come to Exeter," Wang said.
Stephanie Hull of Franklin, New Jersey, comes to Exeter as a new upper next year. "I decided to enroll at Exeter because of the warm atmosphere," Hull said. "When I toured at Exeter, I felt welcomed and was made comfortable by the smiles of the students and teachers."
Jun-Hyuk Yang, an international student from Seoul, South Korea, who will be coming as a prep, said the the rigorous academics and Harkness table were main attractions for him. "I think that it's a revolutionary idea that the students can learn from each other, rather than from one-sided lectures from teachers," he said.
This admissions season, 1,622 students applied, 312 were admitted and 192 enrolled for the class of 2012. Out of 507 students who applied for class of 2012, 98 were admitted and 43 enrolled. For the class of 2011, 307 applied, 61 were admitted and 43 enrolled. For the class of 2010 ,200 applied, 51 were admitted and 29 enrolled.
The admissions Office ranks applicants A1 through A4, A1 being the highest ranking. Altogether, 145 A1 applicants and 154 A2 applicants enrolled. No A3 applicants were admitted.
The gender proportion for the class of 2013 is 50.8 percent female and 49.2 percent male and ethnicity proportion is 47.6 percent Caucasian, 28.7 percent Asian, 16.1 percen students of color and 7.6 percent unkown. International students make up 17 percent of this new class.
The Admissions Office plans to take about 20 applicants from the waitlist, according to Jennings. Some 238 applicants have currently confirmed their spots on the waitlist. The families of accepted students notified the Academy of their enrollment decision by last Friday, sending along a deposit check.
Post edited by istoleyournose! on

Replies to: Some Stuff That Took That Took Forever To Type

• thingslostthingslost Registered User Posts: 896 Member
    Wow. Interesting. Thanks for posting!
  • MilkandCookiesMilkandCookies Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    wow! nice of u to type this!
    and thats really interesting about the waitlist!! lower admission yield= more waitlist acceptances? thats what is looks like- especially the last paragraph (20 spots) i have a friend who is waitlisted, and i know this we give her a little more hope! (as it will for a lot of people!)
  • istoleyournose!istoleyournose! Registered User Posts: 607 Member
    Heres another article I thought you guys might want to read.

Financial Aid Drops 50 Percent
    Budget constraints led the Academy to offer financial aid to 27 percent of new admits this year, a sharp drop from the 56 percent figure for new students in 2008, according to Director of Admissions Michael Gary.
    The Admissions Office has almost doubled the number of applicants on the waitlist this year compared to the last two years. More than 200 students were invited to join the watlist, compared to 131 in 2008 and 112 in 2007, Gary said.
    The admissions staff ranks applicants A1, the highest ranking, through A4, the lowest ranking. This year 71 A1 applicants were not offered admission and within the 9th grade applicant pool no one who was rated A2 was offered admission if they needed financial aid, according to Gary.
    In each of the last five years, every applicant rated A1 was admitted, regardless of his financial aid status, according to math instructor Joseph Wolfson, a member of the admissions committee.
    This is the first time in recent years that the Academy has not been effectively need blind.
    When asked if there were any A1s whose families earned less than $75,000 who were refused admission, Gary said: "Possibly, but I don't know because we admit first and then assess need. If not admitted, we don't spend time calculating their need."
    Because this year's senior class has an usually high number of full-paying students this year in part to compensate for those students tuition revenue, according to Wolfson.
    The result of these changes is that the "overall percentage of students receiving aid in our community will decrease," Gary said.
    "From my perspecive, the quality of the ninth grade admits won't be as high for lack of financial aid," Wolfson, who reads ninth grade applications, said. "I continue to think that the faculty needs to be made aware of this issue, including numbers, so that they can let the trustees know how important, or not important, it is to increase financial aid money."
    Faculty should be notified of the implications of the reduction in the financial aid budget, Wolfson said. "Will it be okay, for instance, if we become a school that caters to predominantly wealthy families? Is this okay, or do we want to encourage the trustess to give higher priority to financial aid? Even if we cannot become completely need-blind in the immediate, do we want to ensure that all of our A1s can be admitted?"
    English instructor Eimer Page said she hopes financial aid will be a priority in future budgets.
    "It's hard to know how having fewer students on financial aid will impact the quality of classes," Page said. "I'm more worried about its impact on the community in a wider scope-- in the drom, in other interactions. The narrower the admitted pool of sudetns, the less students can learn about lifestyles and experiences different from their own. I understand why we have to offer less financial aid in this economy, but it's a shame financial aid was forced to pull back."
    "I hope in our recovery over the next few years, we will explore ways to return to our status of need blind, or nead need blind, which means that this incredible experience of Exeter is open to all those who can meet the challenge of working hard and dedicating their engergy and smarts to this place," religion instructor Jamie Hamilton said.
    "I trust that the students we accepted for 2009-2010 will be just as wonderful as always. I don't think there will be a noticeable difference, but a shcool of our resources needs to be open to as many students as possible. Money should never get in the way of a student's ability to come to Exeter. Our commitmetn to that vision has always been admirable; it's what makes Exeter special."
    For Wolfson, increased use of the waitlist poses an ethical question.
    "Studetns who get rejection or wait-list leters are ledto believe that there weren't enough available spots for them.," he said "True, I guess, but really half-true; for a great many of these students, the reason they were not admitted is that there wasn't money available. They were fully qualified, in many cases raned higher than others who were admitted. Somehow it seems only right ot me to let people know this before they apply; that is, if they need financial aid, they will be compteting for a limited number of spots."
    Wolfson said there is a "public perception" that Exeter is need blind, which was true in 2007 and 2008 though it was never a states policy. "Further, this may have an impact on readers; if I see someone who I really like and I see that they need aid, I'm tempted to rank them hgiher than I normally might because I know that unless they get a top rating, they will not be admitted."
    "In the past three years, we've had the privlege of practicing need blind admissions, althoughi t has never been a formal polciy," Gary said. "The financial aid budget predetermines the number of applicants we can admit with aid. We pick those applicants first, and then let the financial aid office know so they can determine financial need and meet it full.y"
    Althought he size of the qaitlist has grown, Gary said the admissions is not doing anything differently this year to assure target yields.
    Director of Financial Aid Paul Mahoney said it is too early to know what the impact of financial aid will be on the quality of the incoming class because more than half of the families of accepted students have yet to respond to say if they will enroll.
  • catgcatg Registered User Posts: 516 Member
    thank you for typing!
  • principalviolaprincipalviola - Posts: 2,418 Senior Member
    Wow! I am glad Exeter has come out and accepting that the quality of their classes may be lowered. While I know that even a full pay applicant (such as myself) would not have been admitted purely based on our ability to pay, I hope that the integrity of the classes fostered by Exeter will not decrease.

May the recovery over the next few years prove to be fruitful.
  • cdnhockeymomcdnhockeymom Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    This just emphasizes what others like principalviola were saying, that if it comes down to a full pay or a FA with similar credentials, the FP will get in.
  • JC65JC65 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Istoleyournose! : I'm curious to know where you got those information from. But anyway, thanks for that.
    This just emphasizes what others like principalviola were saying, that if it comes down to a full pay or a FA with similar credentials, the FP will get in.
    After reading this article I think it may be worse than that. They declined some seventy-one A1 candidates due to financial situation. I can see them choosing a A1 full pay candidate over an A1 financial aid candidate, but choosing A2s and A3s above those A1s is another story.

I am truly curious how Andover has the money but Exeter does not, they have some three hundred million more dollars in endowment than Andover. Will Exeter maintain facilities better? Maintain a better teacher to student ratio? More opportunities overall?

Money goes somewhere; if they had a lot of extra money lying around this would not be the situation. Andover and Exeter have allocated their money somewhere and somehow. I am very curious as to where and how this has been used. Too bad I am not a trustee! I am sure they would have sent us a breakdown (and a plea for more money!)...
  • istoleyournose!istoleyournose! Registered User Posts: 607 Member
    @Jc65: I typed out an article from the Exonian, exeter's newspaper
    @viola:they rejected all a3s and A4s. And the seventy one A1s were not FA ppls thats just how many A1 ppl there were. Sorry if i mistyped something in the article
  • creative1creative1 Registered User Posts: 1,657 Senior Member
    Sounds like some faculty are not happy with trustees decision to limit FA this year. Seems like trustees are taking a very conservative approach - which may or may not be prudent. It depends how things pan out and how long it takes us to climb out of this economic trough.
    @Nose: I see, OK!

creative1: I don't think anyone is. This stuff is happening everywhere, startups, VCs, anything that requires people to invest. The angel investors are not very flexible this year, and unless the forthcoming year proves fruitful Andover will lose their unique policy also.

Take happiness in the fact that these schools are not a plutocracy, yet! :)////
  • benevolent4thembenevolent4them Registered User Posts: 1,154 Senior Member
    incredibly interesting!

I wonder if I was A1.

I wonder if those handwritten 2 page letters that only some people got from Exeter were only sent to A1's.
    I got quite a lengthy letter from Exeter too and I cannot see myself as an A1. Andover, Exeter, and Milton were my three top choices during the season until M10 and I showed quite a bit of interest. I don't see how I can even be compared with some of the power- houses that applied there.

I would consider myself an A2 applicant, solid one at least. As for those letters, I have not a clue. Very well written, though!
  • thingslostthingslost Registered User Posts: 896 Member
    Wow! Thanks for typing!

I am also curious how Andover is maintaining their need-blind status... Does anyone else feel sort of... cheated?
  • hotchkissjinhotchkissjin Registered User Posts: 745 Member
    Wow, good luck to the people on the waitlist, there's hope! I feel more and more grateful for the FA I was given from Exeter every time I see these kinds of reports.
This discussion has been closed.