Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help! any advice

goneverstopgoneverstop Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
edited May 2009 in Prep School Admissions
I just received a Advisor Questionnaire and a Housing Questionnaire. And I am not sure which choice is better.Any advice? Well, do you prefer to live in a single room or with a roommate and why? Which do you like better, a female or a male advisor, be in a all-male or a co-ed advisory group? (I am male)
Post edited by goneverstop on

Replies to: Help! any advice

• pnb2002pnb2002 Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    I think you're over-analyzing this form. Just put down what you think. They just want to know your preferences so that you feel comfortable when you come. No choice will be 'better' than the others. Take some time, think carefully, and be honest. You'll be fine.
  • MilkandCookiesMilkandCookies Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    most people prefere to have a roommate their first year because its an instant friend and there are limited singles rooms for freshman.. but whatever works!
  • rutland274rutland274 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I think having a roommate is an essential part of the boarding experience. If you find out having a roommate is a hindrance after the first year, then request a single next year. At least you will be confident in knowing exactly why you prefer to be alone. As for advisor groups, I think co-ed is always best. Obtaining a perspective on issues from both sexes can broaden your outlook and provoke an interest or solution to problems in avenues you would not ordinarily seek.
  • boarder56boarder56 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    I thought the same thing too, but I told that to my host at one of the revisits and they warned me that though everyone thinks that, there is a VERY slim chance that you and your roommate will actually end up being friends. (Apparently most roommates in the dorm really did NOT get along)
    I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
  • hj0519hj0519 Registered User Posts: 631 Member
    I found the opposite to be true when I was at school, boarder56. Most people I knew were friends with their roommate, or at least got along well enough to live with them even if they weren't friends. There were a few pairs that didn't get along, but definitely not "most".
  • keylymekeylyme Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    I think if you are a boy, you might be more comfortable discussing any personal issues that could arise with a male advisor.
  • asiankid29asiankid29 Registered User Posts: 340 Member
    I requested a single dorm for next year, just because my study habits are quite odd. haha.
    I usually sleep after school, and do my homework in the morning. (My internal clock is ruined) Hopefully, I won't have any trouble making friends.

Mhm, I think picking a male adviser might suit you. Just because you can more openly discuss really private and personal things.
  • boarder56boarder56 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    alright, hj0519, I stand corrected. just relaying what my host told me, but I've never roomed with anyone before, so I can't really talk.
  • helpmeoutmanhelpmeoutman Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    This is not a part of application process... the process was already over when the dinosarus ruled the earth. so just relax and put down what you want. they wont reject you for that!
  • DontClickHereDontClickHere Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Hey just go with a male advisor, co-ed advisory group, and a single, so you have more privacy. But you really cant go wrong with ur choice, unless somehow ur choice causes a rip in the fabric of space and time and all our heads explode. What school are u going to?
This discussion has been closed.