Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Possibility of a Californian attending Exeter senior year.

JamesChangJamesChang Registered User Posts: 510 Junior Member
edited September 2009 in Prep School Admissions
Hi there, I'm a Californian (Orange County, to be precise) who has attended public schools throughout his entire life. I'm currently a high school junior.

So by chance I came across the website for Phillips Exeter Academy and it would be an understatement to say how blown away I am by what these kids get to do (: Truth be told, I've always wanted to attend a boarding school.

As a result, I'd love to have the chance to join them. My question is this: how hard is it to go there for junior year, and if I need financial aid, will it make admission more difficult?

Also, how will transferring to another school midway in my high school career look to colleges? I'm thinking of applying to HYPS and a couple of other ivies such as Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, etc.

Sorry if these questions come off as kind of newbish, but I've never really considered going to a prep school until now.

Post edited by JamesChang on

Replies to: Possibility of a Californian attending Exeter senior year.

  • zozza1zozza1 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    From what I gather, the only people who are admitted for senior year are PGs (post graduates) who are nearly almost always athletes. It would be easier to repeat your junior year, but even then, it's ridiculously hard to get in due to the lack of spots. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • almost therealmost there Registered User Posts: 1,417 Senior Member
    I'm not sure about the senior thing (although there are quite a few PGs) but this yearv uppers had one less member than they did last year but that's because they did lose some people. I don't know how many they accepted.
  • cdnhockeymomcdnhockeymom Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    I have two friends to went to Exeter last year as repeat juniors and they were strong students with hooks. If you are a strong student AND can bring something special to the school besides academics it is completely achievable. Both got FA as well. My son also is a repeat junior this year and we were advised that it does not look bad to be changing at this point...looks more like you wanted a challenge.
    Good Luck!
  • JamesChangJamesChang Registered User Posts: 510 Junior Member
    Here's a chance thread I made:


    Will taking junior year over have adverse effects on my college applications? Also, will taking the SAT suffice if I apply for jr year? (I know you can take the SAT instead of the SSAT if you're applying for senior year, but what bout junior year?)
  • cdnhockeymomcdnhockeymom Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    SSAT is enough for junior year. I do not profess to be an expert but we were told repeating jr year would not have adverse effect at all. Repeating one year is common in prep.
  • siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Registered User Posts: 4,461 Senior Member
    Another option, if you are looking for enrichment but are reluctant to change schools, is to attend summer session at Exeter.
  • neatoburritoneatoburrito Registered User Posts: 3,449 Senior Member
    That's an excellent idea, siliconvalleymom. If the OP is at the top of his public and has leadership positions, interesting EC's, etc, he may be in a better position to attain his college goals from his current school. The summer program will show the desire to challenge oneself as well.
  • JamesChangJamesChang Registered User Posts: 510 Junior Member
    I was thinking of applying to TASP, but I think I'll apply to both and see what happens. What do you guys think?

    A small part (I'd say 40%) of my desire to transfer to Exeter is to be more competitive for admissions, and the other 60% is to experience boarding school life and living by myself. I already kind of have a bit of experience for that (traveling to Taiwan to help needy under Red Cross) but doing that in a college-like environment would be way cool.

    As I stated in my chance thread, I don't think transferring there is going to be a possibility (parents do not approve). However, I think they'd be more okay with the summer program.

    Quick question: is it one of those "pay bucketloads of money and you automatically get in" programs, or is it like RSI/TASP? Also, do they offer financial aid?
This discussion has been closed.