Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Andover? Ask a student.

Replies to: Andover? Ask a student.

• jasony0325jasony0325 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    what were your ssat scores to get into andover?
  • overandoveroverandover Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    I scored a 96 overall percentile, but that really doesn't mean much. I know people here who scored in the 100th percentile and people who scored below 80. Just do your best and don't worry too much about it.
  • ksong12ksong12 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    overandover is correct. There are no smartboards on campus.

That's not a guess. There are no smartboards in classrooms here.

There is a projector in every classroom in the science, history/language, and math buildings, and movable plasmas in the English building.
    overandover, is wrong, however, in saying that he knows people who scored 100th percentile. That is completely false. Why? because you cannot score 100th percentile. Since that would mean you did better than 100% of the people who were taking the test. Including yourself. Which is not possible.

(But yes, SSAT scores by no means determine everything)
    Alright, sorry, I meant 100%, perfect score. I'll try to work on my wording.
    Ah so it appears I'm wrong too. Over the summer, they did upgrade all the rooms in Morse. Most of them got simple projector upgrades so teachers can hook up calculators to the projector, but there are a few (one or two) that do have SmartBoards - I just took the SATs this morning in such a room.
  • BrooklynGuyBrooklynGuy Registered User Posts: 666 Member
    You can watch the Andover/Exeter football game live right now on the web from Exeter.....

Follow the instructions at this link:

Phillips Academy - Andover/Exeter Weekend Features a Live Webcast of Football Game on Nov. 14
  • puppylvrpuppylvr Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    What should I wear to an interview? People say semi-formal, but what does that exactly mean? Would khakis and a polo be good enough? (I'm a girl, if that helps)
  • andovergirlandovergirl Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    I had to go to a presentation in the Peabody for class last week and the presenter used a smartboard, so yes, there are smartboards on campus.
    Yes, semi-formal. Skirt, casual dress, nice pants with a nice top would all work just fine. Wear comfortable shoes and bring a jacket/scarf for the tour.
  • assignassign Registered User Posts: 712 Member
    Hi overandover,
    Is Andover super stressful? I know there were Andover students who dismissed because of the heavy work loads. Please be honest and tell me what you really think. Many students, because of their competitive nature, don't even admit that Andover is hard.
    Also, is Ivy admission a huge deal among seniors?
    I'm sorry if those questions have been asked elsewhere on the board.
    Yeah, I'm not going to lie, it's stressful (especially upper and senior year). But it's so worth it. The work is hard, and though not every student will say this in the midst of completing a research paper due the next morning, it's a good hard.
    I'm not a senior, so I can't really answer that, but I know a very large percentage of students apply/go to Ivy League schools.
  • YangsterYangster Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Overandover: do you know about the andover swim program?? I heard it was pretty good, and that's why I'm applying. So stressed right now though, I have finals AND I have to study for the SSAT's this sat.
  • puppylvrpuppylvr Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    overandover: do you know of any students that have skipped a grade? is it considered good or bad if a student has skipped a grade? some people told me its a major turn-off because they think that you are not mature enough, but i think that its really unfair to say that!
    Yangster, sorry, I really have no idea about the swim program. You should definitely ask about it at your interview and contact a coach, though.

Puppylvr, I actually don't think I know anyone who has skipped a grade. It is unfair to make assumptions, but very often people who skipped have trouble because they are a little less mature. It's different with everyone, but I would really recommend repeating a year (there are TONS of repeats, very common) if you're younger.
This discussion has been closed.