right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Why are asians overrepresented at boarding school?

shrlyheshrlyhe 107 replies11 threads Junior Member
edited February 2010 in Prep School Admissions
Obviously I know why whites are over represented, but why are asians? Most of the asians I know have no intention of going or applying to boarding school.
edited February 2010
6 replies
Post edited by shrlyhe on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Why are asians overrepresented at boarding school?

• failboatfailboat 383 replies11 threads Member
    The first/second generation Asians usually form very cohesive communities. (Remember that the majority of the stereotypes about asians stems from these groups.) As such, these communities are often rather homogeneous in their sets of beliefs, which include the perception that Boarding Schools will give their kids better chances at getting into an Ivy League school. Ask around.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mainer95Mainer95 356 replies5 threads Member
    Read the book Outliers.
    · Reply · Share
  • sbergmansbergman 202 replies6 threads Junior Member
    Are you asking about domestic Asian students or international students? If you are asking about international Asian students, it's because the college admissions process in China and Korea are still very Draconian - if you don't test high in the national exams, you have no chance of getting into the most pretigious universities and degrees from lesser universities have less cache than an American university diploma. Korean parents who can afford it, will opt out of the high stakes Korean system and send their children to the US where there are more options. When you tour those campuses, you'll have no idea which of those students are domestic and which are international.
    · Reply · Share
  • GiffordGifford - 146 replies0 threads Junior Member
    International students from Asia are the primary target market for many boarding schools due to the ability & willingness of many Asian families to pay full costs for their child as education is highly valued in most, if not all, Asian cultures and due to the abundance of well qualified students. Boarding schools conduct several informational recruiting tours throughout Asia each summer.
    · Reply · Share
  • somnuscsomnusc 151 replies5 threads Junior Member
    yeah i agree with Mainer95, read Outliers!!

Asian parents really do care about education a lot, and many of them will sacrifice some aspects of their lives just to provide the best education for their kids...
    · Reply · Share
  • konikamanokonikamano 231 replies6 threads Junior Member
    @Mainer95 I love that book!

From what I know, education is very valued in Asia (especially in Korea, where the majority of middle school students attend cram school until 9:30 at night), and many of the kids would be able and willing to attend a boarding school due to their previous encounters with such academically strenuous experiences. At least, that's my theory. But something that's popping into my head while I'm thinking about this - I wonder if they think the same things about American transfer students? O_O
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity