Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to convince your parents to let you go to prep school

13»

Replies to: How to convince your parents to let you go to prep school

• randomfloridianrandomfloridian Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I have some tips:
    1. Show your parents that you're dedicated and determined. A good way of doing this would be to stalk the websites of the respective schools that you're thinking of applying to and compiling a bunch of pro's of going to private school. Not only will it allow your parents to see that you're truly determined to get into private school, but it'll also show them the benefits of you attending private school. If you're one of the few in your family to go to private school, then your parents probably harbor the stereotype that private school is only composed of rich, snobby kids and that it's a waste of money. This is your time to prove them wrong!
    2. Channel your inner debater. Sit down with your parents and discuss with them what their fears or concerns are about you going to private school, then proceed to knock down their arguments. If you've done sufficient enough research, you should be able to do just fine with reassuring their worries.
    3. Work hard on the SSAT's and your application. If your parents agree to let you go, but you start taking the application process not-so-seriously, then they might reconsider. Study hard, work hard, and do your best!
    4. Show them CC! There's plenty of great comments and stories that prep school students/alumni have written here that might not only ease your parents' fears, but help them get totally on board with the prep school idea!
    Good luck! I hope this was helpful to you.
  • willmowillmo Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    Maybe convincing them to let you go to a BS summer program would get them on board... for me, it definitely not only helped my parents get excited about it, but it let me have a much better perception of what I would be getting myself into.
  • randomfloridianrandomfloridian Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    @snapchat That's actually a great argument...why didn't I think about that #-o
  • snapchatsnapchat Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    @randomfloridian I consider myself a natural convincer :P
  • Cristian007Cristian007 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    What I did, was to begin to apply without my father’s permission. Then, when it came time for my dad to sign me up for the SSAT I made the argument that I have already worked very hard to apply (studying, writing essays, etc.) and that it would be devastating if he wouldn’t let me.
  • FunintheSun1211FunintheSun1211 Registered User Posts: 417 Member
    I think my parents would just get mad if I did that. @Cristian007
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 36,297 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: This is a very old thread, so I am closing it.
13»
This discussion has been closed.