Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How Are You Going to Decorate Your Dorm?

Replies to: How Are You Going to Decorate Your Dorm?

• MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,284 Senior Member
    My DD also brought a wire milk crate (Whitmor Storage Cubes White Set of 4) and used two of them vertically to create a nightstand and she has baskets that fit inside. For the extras panels, we zip-tied them together and hung them on the wall with command hooks and she attaches photos using binder clips (search wire memory board on pinterest). Her first year shared dorm room was so small that a rug wouldn't work. She now has a single and has a super nice and cozy shag rug (At Home store C19 Green Senses Shag Rug- 5x7 ft)
  • MaxLMZMaxLMZ Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    My best friend, who is a VERY talented artist, will draw some drawings for me to put in my dorm
  • brassarrowbrassarrow Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    I have a LOT of books here, more than fifty, so I can't take them all with me :( I'll only take five or six of my favorites, probably keep them on the side. That's all I have planned.
  • Ravenclaw3Ravenclaw3 Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    @brassarrow Which books will you take? (Just curious what your favorites are :) )
  • FunintheSun1211FunintheSun1211 Registered User Posts: 417 Member
    I have the same problem! I tend to hard books. I think I'll bring the Harry Potter series, some Agatha Christie, and maybe some new reads for the school year
  • missinghome21missinghome21 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    edited March 20
    I'm probably gonna hang a few pictures up and talk through ideas with my roommate (let's hope they're up for decorating) before doing anything drastic.

I've been stuck watching dorm room remodels for hours now so that's been messing with my mind.

I wish you knew who your roommates were before meeting them though! It'd be nice to get to know them and talk.
  • woodcal03woodcal03 Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    @missinghome21 I think a lot of schools give you your roommate's phone number in advance once they finish matching people, although not sure about them all.

Those dorm videos are eating up like all my freetime, lmao
    @woodcal03 do you know when they finish matching people? And what schools give out the numbers?

And I know right? It's just one video after the next in an endless black hole of cubby organizers and weird posters.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 37,499 Super Moderator
    although not sure about them all.
    Not all do. Some schools take FERPA to the nth degree and the student only gets the roommate info upon arriving on campus.
    edited March 20
    Probably:
    - To Kill a Mockingbird
    - The Kite Runner
    - Southern Lights
    - Heroes of the Valley (Jonathan Stroud)

And some others, but I haven't decided anything yet.

@Ravenclaw3
  • Ravenclaw3Ravenclaw3 Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    @brassarrow To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorites too!
    Yeah, I'm frequently rereading it. One of my friends borrowed it but only read a few pages because she found it boring. :/
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    edited March 21
    AppleKid's dorm essentials: ultra-soft sheets, a memory foam mattress topper, fan, trash can (our school provides recycle bins), command hooks, hangers, a bedside lamp with a plug in the base for charging the cell phone and a floor lamp by the desks so as not to take up valuable surface space with tabletop models.

This year roomy gave us the green light to bring FLOR carpet squares which coordinate with the bedding on each of their beds (they're running a sale through 4/2). Roomy's parents replaced the shower curtain and also bought a shelving unit with bins for the bathroom where the kids can place their toiletries (yup, bathroom decor can be a thing too). All in all they've got it very nice this year (except when AK's pile of clothing gets out of control on the floor X_X ).

Note that several of the extra touches were added on the day of move-in or shortly thereafter (same as last year which was AK's first year) because that's when you and roomy (if applicable) decide where to put the furniture and decide what else to put in the room. This year the furniture arrangement allowed the kids to add small bedside tables, under-bed storage (last year AK had a bed with built-in drawers) and small shelf units.
    edited March 21
    The school I'm going to attend has made a list of things you need to bring... your school probably has one too. Try searching on their website.

Mine includes:
    - Computer (but I think a laptop is fine)
    - Power strip (with surge protector)
    - Desk lamp
    - Alarm clock
    - Bathrobe
    - Towels
    - Shower sandals
    - Twin sheets
    - Bedspread
    - Pillows
    - Hangers
    - Umbrella
    - Binders,notebooks, etc.
    - Backpack (obviously)
    - Graphing calculator
    - Room decorations
    - Sleeping bag
    - Swimsuit
    - Formal clothing
    - Raincoat
    - Fleece

So I came back to this discussion after some perusing and it seems that memory foam mattresses are quite popular. Aren’t they expensive though?