Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which schools have Saturday classes - Pros/Cons

2»

Replies to: Which schools have Saturday classes - Pros/Cons

• momof3swimmersmomof3swimmers Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    Exeter has about 6 per year. Some teachers choose not to use it. Its also only a half day.
  • alooknacalooknac Registered User Posts: 1,271 Senior Member
    Saturday classes contribute to kids staying on campus rather than going home for weekends.

Nobody complained about it at D's school (short Wed & Sat every week, Sat was part of normal class rotation)

I think it helps to have that extra structure when you have a whole bunch of teenagers on location.
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 Registered User Posts: 744 Member
    If you are a day student/parent it can be really inconvenient to have Saturday classes. My kiddo also did not like the idea of not having a weekend. Having Saturday and Sunday off is a mental break. Though it wasn't a deal breaker, it was a factor in the final consideration. Kids who do a lot of activities ( esp. sports) will find it difficult to balance having Saturday classes with high levels of achievement in all areas. Plus sleeping in 1 or 2 days is needed and good for teens. My kiddo looks forward to the weekend. That doesn't mean we aren't at school. It just means there are any things you HAVE to go to, only things you WANT to go to. Additionally, most of the schools with Sat classes are pretty strong academically so you never get a break.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,547 Senior Member
    Most of the New England prep schools (can't speak for other areas of the country) have varsity games on Saturday so in any case by it's tough to plan weekends away. IIRC the schools with Saturday classes all have a late start day and/or a short day in the middle of the week.
  • CavsFan2003CavsFan2003 Registered User Posts: 412 Member
    Brooks School has a half day Wednesday and Saturday every week.
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    @happytimes2001, My kid was a day student for 9th and 10th and felt differently, so I think it is more about finding the fit that works.
    DS still looked forward to the weekend and loved being on campus on Saturdays and would have been there for sports and extracurriculars and hanging with friends even if there were no Sat classes. While the schedule is stressful at times, long weekend breaks seem to come exactly when they are needed. Sat classes, sports, etc were actually a factor for DS in choosing between being a (day) student at a boarding school and being a student at a day school.
    Like everything else, you need to carefully consider fit for yourself (or your child.)
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 Registered User Posts: 744 Member
    @carpoolingma Good points. Depends on the kid. One of my kiddos needs real downtime so Saturday classes were an issue. For the other, it doesn't really matter.
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 Registered User Posts: 590 Member
    Just adding to the good insights shared above.....We have found that Saturday classes can be an issue for some students who are very invested and involved with club teams or “travel” teams. For some sports, this may be part of a recruitment goal....We did not realize this fully until we started the school search process. We know kids in soccer, lax, and hockey who have outside commitments on the weekends. Some schools have coaches that understand the travel/club team commitments. Some kids need to leave during their “travel” season. We also know students who are feeling “left out” and are missing out on campus bonding because they are away for travel or club sports teams. So check on this while you are selecting schools if your sport may be at that level, or if you need to go....also, we found that a couple of the single-sex BS’s with large day students basically become quiet and lonely without Saturday classes. So, if you are looking to attend a school far from home, you may want to determine how quiet the school becomes on the weekends. We found this to be the case with a couple of schools without Saturday classes.
2»