right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Weird question about BS

2»

Replies to: Weird question about BS

• CaliPopsCaliPops 329 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 331 Member
    edited November 2018
    From what I've witnessed, I'm inclined to agree with those who have provided a generally positive image of what you're likely to encounter. I think it's fair to say that most top schools try to filter for positive personality characteristics to at least some degree, and that filtering (as imperfect as any filter is likely to be) can only work to your benefit. From the outside looking in, I've seen kids of every size, color, gender, and sexual orientation who appear to be very popular, and I think students make some effort to police one another about any truly boorish behavior. But, as others have said, I would not expect any dramatic shift in how you are currently treated by peers. While I think the schools are generally populated with good kids, it's still high school, and no school is perfect.
    edited November 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5130 replies236 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,366 Senior Member
    Also, if you attend a school that requires athletics you might actually end up fitter than you were previously

I almost never surf the cafe, and I see this thread has been dormant a while, but I'll add my anecdote as additional encouragement for @CavsFan2003 and anyone else who reads this thread with the same concern.

ChoatieKid was pudgy when he enter BS. He had zero athletics prior. He worried about the sports requirement because, not only had he never played a sport or thrown a ball, he never watched sports or had any interest. When he had to choose an activity at BS, he looked at the physiques of the rowers and thought, "I want to look like that!" Believe me, he had a long way to go but, by the end of freshman year, we hardly recognized the kid we'd dropped off in September. He stuck with rowing and made the varsity team his junior year. He got that physique. Then, he chose the military for college and has had to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) multiple times a year. Fail it twice in row, you get separated; fail before graduation, you don't graduate. Fitness is an ingrained part of his life now.

The point I want to make, @CavsFan2003, is that not all kids at BS are fit but BS will give you the opportunity and encouragement to work on that if it's important to you and you are determined. I think it took courage for our formerly bullied out-of-shape son to show up for crew, but he said that no one made fun of him or made him feel unwelcome. In fact, the experienced rowers were very patient with him, and it was their kindness and encouragement that helped him stick with it. We were so impressed by their inclusiveness, but I don't believe this ethic is unique to crew. I have said many times on this board that rowing was the greatest thing our son got from boarding school. Given how transformative it was for him, it trumped the academics by far. He didn't have to work anywhere near as hard on his schoolwork as he did on his body, and his teammates encouraged him every step of the way.

One other point I'll make is that the years from 14 to 18 cover a lot of physical growth, especially for boys. Coupled with even moderate activity and good diet, those extra inches can give you a big boost.

Good luck, @CavsFan2003. I hope you reach all your goals.
    · Reply · Share
  • CavsFan2003CavsFan2003 879 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 949 Member
    @ChoatieMom Thank you for the comment! I really appreciated it. Tell ChoatieKid I say good job lol (or don't, but I'm hoping I make a transformation like him lol)

I'm definitely excited about the healthy food and sports factor of BS. I participate in sports but none that make me super cut and healthy food is an issue at home. My dad was just laid off so we're in broke mode, so dinner's been Kraft macaroni and cheese and Hamburger Helper—good enough to eat, but can't say it's healthy lol but having the resources (and being forced to at BS) sounds like it'd make me a lot healthier

I'm waiting for the growth spurt, lol, hopefully it'll come. Rowing seems like an awesome sport! I love kayaking and boating, whenever I go camping I always make sure to rent a kayak or a canoe and I spend a few hours on the lake/river. I definitely won't say I'm good enough to compete but I do enjoy rowing boats casually!

Again thank you very much, I really appreciated your anecdote. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • dogsmama1997dogsmama1997 408 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 434 Member
    @ChoatieMom what a great story! I am hoping that the schools my daughter is applying to have kids like that.
    · Reply · Share
  • CTMom21CTMom21 405 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 407 Member
    That is such a great story, @ChoatieMom! I think the sports at BS offer such a great oppprtunity for any level of athlete, from beginner to D1 prospect. A kid at any level can learn a sport (many of which are no-cut or have a level for anyone) with really good coaches and spectacular facilities. DS — who hadn’t skated in nearly 10 years — is in his 2nd year of “varsity rec puck” and has friends playing who had never skated before. The other kids are really supportive, and sports in general are a great stress reliever. Best wishes to you, @CavsFan2003 !
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity