right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

Study methods

YoungThriverYoungThriver 474 replies46 threads Member
How do you guys study? Do you just sit at a desk, take out a textbook and cram it all in for 5 hours straight?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Study methods

• skieuropeskieurope 42310 replies8428 threads Super Moderator
    No.

For starters, it's unlikely you will have "5 hours straight" based upon the time when dinner/clubs end and when lights out occurs. It's more effective to take short breaks at regular intervals, e.g. after you finish math and before you start English.

How you use your time (and time management skills are critical) will depend upon the school and its daily schedule. Personally, I've used my free time during the day to knock out some assignments.
    · Reply · Share
  • dogsmama1997dogsmama1997 481 replies30 threads Member
    Also, it's a good idea to figure out if you are an auditory or visual learner. I am a visual learner - when my kids ask me homework questions while I'm cooking I have to walk over and LOOK at the question to be able to answer it. When I was actually in school (and before I got so old) it wasn't quite so bad but I knew that I was better at learning in certain ways. Knowing things like this about yourself can help you study more effectively. For instance, I would copy info I wanted to learn, as I copied I was reading and then writing it down. While I don't have a photographic memory, during a test I could kind of visualize the info and that helped my recall.
    · Reply · Share
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 2496 replies21 threads Senior Member
    And know what time of day is best for you. My kid studies in the morning before classes begin and later after dinner. Also using free periods to get work out of the way may be one of the ways to do your best.
    · Reply · Share
  • CTMom21CTMom21 606 replies2 threads Member
    @Golfgr8 ‘s tips are (of course!) great. I may show it to my son, in fact. I think HS is when you really figure out how to study and how YOU learn most effectively (alone/in a group, when/where, visual/auditory, etc). Your advisor, teachers, and if needed tutors can help with study skills, and hopefully your school will give you some flexibility as to finding the right place. DS got permission from his advisor to spend study hall in the English office when neither his dorm room nor the library was working out great.
    · Reply · Share
  • BordDuLacBordDuLac 48 replies5 threads Junior Member
    @Golfgr8 Thank you for providing an explanation for the use of the old “school room” at Groton. We assumed it was mostly used as a museum set-piece.
    · Reply · Share
  • bellsproutbellsprout 6 replies0 threads New Member
    Something important I had to learn was when I was more productive studying with others and when I should just go back to my dorm and study by myself. At Andover, we have a lot of public spaces open during study hours, but we also have Silent Study in our library. Picking a good study spot for yourself is key!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity