right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

Why are standadized tests so expensive?

YoungThriverYoungThriver 474 replies46 threads Member
So, I (and by I, I mean my mother) paid for 2 ssat exams, which totaled to $280 ($140 each). I’m not complaining here as this is an investment for my future, but I’m curious as to why are they’re so expensive.

Can somebody give me an explanation?
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Why are standadized tests so expensive?

• Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 2496 replies21 threads Senior Member
    Wow, I do remember them costing more than I expected. Maybe it's the demographic. Also, fewer people take the SSAT so they have to spread the cost of developing the test across fewer people. Just stats.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 42310 replies8428 threads Super Moderator
    I don't know the answer to your question (other than spouting off various economics theories), but when I was applying, as I was living abroad, my test fee was twice the US fee, and skidad had to drive me to a different country to take it. $140 is a bargain in comparison. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom 5668 replies338 threads Senior Member
    wait until you need the GRE!
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 42310 replies8428 threads Super Moderator
    edited December 2018
    wait until you need the GRE!
    Or MCAT.

FWIW, when I was a HS senior, I added up what was spent on SAT/Subject Tests/AP Exams. $1544.50. Yikes!!!
    edited December 2018
    Post edited by skieurope on
    · Reply · Share
  • YoungThriverYoungThriver 474 replies46 threads Member
    The MCAT is $315 so I guess it’s time to rethink about my dreams of becoming a psychiatrist.

(lol, I’m joking.)
    · Reply · Share
  • AltrasAltras 455 replies8 threads Member
    It's (unfortunately) just economics. Monopolistic pricing. If you had 20 different tests to choose from, all equally accepted, accessible, difficult, etc., you can bet prices would be much lower. At least the SSAT, GRE, and MCAT are the only tests you have to take to get into the respective schools. The amount of testing (pointed out by skieurope) required to get into college (particularly, competitive colleges) is truly out of hand. Thankfully, there seems to be a trend to eliminate many, if not most, of those tests.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity