right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Exeter 2023 Students Thread

Replies to: Exeter 2023 Students Thread

• skieuropeskieurope 37373 replies6486 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 43,859 Super Moderator
    edited March 13
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    This thread is for newly accepted students to discuss their journey/hopes/dreams/fears. It is not a thread to ask questions about life at PEA, how hard are the classes, how to drive to PEA. That thread is here:
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/2129981-exeter-q-a.html#latest
    Posts that don;t belong with be deleted without notice or comment.
    edited March 13
    · Reply · Share
  • HappyCriaHappyCria 101 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    I don't know if this counts as journey/hopes/dreams, but I've been reading the coursebook, and the courses are amazing! Especially history - there's literally everything, from history of witchcraft to modern China. What courses did you people find intresting and why?
    · Reply · Share
  • ImWaisianImWaisian 152 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    @HappyCria I found the history courses the most interesting as well! I feel that learning about another country, time period, or important events helps you think in a more educated way. My belief is that being knowledgeable in many cultures and events can help impact both your judgment and decision making positively because you are able to compare your circumstance to some other famous event and see how it turned out.
    · Reply · Share
  • HappyCriaHappyCria 101 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    @ImWaisian And Harkness is the best way to learn about it, imo. Okay, here's a story: I convinced my literature teacher to use Harkness for one class, we moved the tables and all. Then, somehow, the conversation moved from discussing Twelfth Night to debating whether giant isopods make good pets. I really hope that won't happen at Exeter.
    · Reply · Share
  • ImWaisianImWaisian 152 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    I love giant isopods :))
    · Reply · Share
    Yeah, they're adorable. :D
    · Reply · Share
    @momof3nyc Would you be comfortable telling us what exactly was so hard about CS? I have also heard that religion is a tricky course so you should take it fall of prep. What do you think?
    · Reply · Share
  • rjh2677rjh2677 18 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    @momof3nyc That's a very helpful tip.
    · Reply · Share
  • momof3nycmomof3nyc 121 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    @ImWaisian My son is much more of a humanities person than math/science. He took three years of CS in middle school and hated every minute of it. He said the work itself wasn’t impossibly challenging, but combatting his inherent disinterest in the subject was what made CS challenging. He says he liked the instructor, and felt the assignments were fair, but it just wasn’t his thing.
    Conversely, he took a religion class in the winter and absolutely loved it. He’s said he wishes he could take as much history and religion as he has to take math and science. Religion classes tend to be very discussion and writing-centric courses. If you’re not comfortable with those skills, it may be challenging.
    · Reply · Share
    @momof3nyc would you recommend religion so you know what to do the second term or computer science and just get it over with? I am fairly competent with math and I had fun with python but I was just wondering if it would be better to get some experience with the religion discussions and writing assignments before they're actually graded.
    · Reply · Share
  • vegas1vegas1 547 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 549 Member
    @ImWaisian I would definitely recommend taking the classes fall term that are most challenging for you. CS was given as an example of what one student chose after knowing what they would most benefit from. CS was a breeze for all of my kids and they definitely would not have chosen that class to take prep fall. Our kids are math, science kids, so they all took history or religion prep fall. Of course only 2 benefitted from the pass/ fail option, as it did not exist with our older 2.
    I also can tell you that my many kids hold off on taking religion classes until later in their careeer at PEA because there are many classes that are not open to preps or lowers. My suggestion is go with the subject you will find more challenging, but choose a class you are most interested in. The point of a pass/fail term is not to game your gpa- but to have the opportunity to learn how to engage at the Harkness table.
    · Reply · Share
    Aside from the subjects, there's also over a hundred ECs! I'm planning to make an Esperanto society - who's in?
    · Reply · Share
    I'm personally most interested in MUN and Exeter's debate team!
    · Reply · Share
    edited March 17
    Those are definitely going to be fun! I heard the debate team used to be a secret society.
    edited March 17
    · Reply · Share