right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Dorms: How to Choose?

2»

Replies to: Dorms: How to Choose?

• sparkatzzsparkatzz 190 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    @CavsFan2003 Haha Idk why we are so early but apparently Choate never sends out emails lol. I'm already planning my classes next year since we are doing course registration in early May.
    · Reply · Share
  • CavsFan2003CavsFan2003 879 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 949 Member
    That's wild! I'm pretty sure we don't get housing surveys until may and course registration sheets in like June lol
    · Reply · Share
  • CC4lifeCC4life 237 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    edited April 18
    @sparkatzz @cavsFan2003 In fairness, Loomis just says you have to complete the housing survey by early June. I am, of course, procrastinating and have just had the tab open on my computer for the week with absolutely nothing filled out.
    edited April 18
    · Reply · Share
  • sparkatzzsparkatzz 190 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    Well I use this kind of things to procrastinate on my actual work at school..so I guess these are two different kinds of procrastination lol.
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 961 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 978 Member
    You think you have a choice? Just be prepared for being disappointed. But the worse off you are, most needy, most protected and most in need of accommodations, you will have priority. If you have a medical disorder be honest about your needs.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 37348 replies6485 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 43,833 Super Moderator
    You think you have a choice? Just be prepared for being disappointed.
    To be fair, it's better than the questions from incoming 10th graders to Andover who ask which dorm to choose, where the answer is that they have their choice of dorms that the current 9th graders did not want. :smiley:
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliMexCaliMex 1667 replies34 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    edited April 20
    I’m surprised there are choices st some schools and that the quality of the rooms vary so much.

Don’t let @Golfgr8 scare you. Not all dorm rooms are terrible.

At Thacher, there is no choice, but the freshmen dorm rooms are all quite nice, especially in the girls dorm. We love the high ceilings and skylights that make the otherwise tiny single rooms feel incredibly spacious ... lots of natural light, too!

At Chatham Hall, you earn room lottery points by keeping your room neat. If you want priority in picking a room sophomore year, you just to keep your room spotless.
    edited April 20
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 37348 replies6485 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 43,833 Super Moderator
    edited April 20
    that the quality of the rooms vary so much
    This varies by school. But at Andover, there are about 40 dorms, built at different times, many of which are converted homes. So aside from the fact that renovations are not all done at once, many of the layouts are unique. I found the same when I went to college.

At schools where dorms are basically cookie cutters and the doubles are a standard size with halves being mirror images, it's less of an issue (other than perhaps distance from class buildings). But then those dorms also have less character. :smiley:
    edited April 20
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20253 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,462 Senior Member
    My experience and my kids - in college you will look back fondly on your boarding school dorm rooms and realize how lucky you had it!

· Reply · Share
  • livelaughxclivelaughxc 76 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    I've actually heard from new lowers that they tend to get slightly better dorms than the current ninth graders at Andover due to how the housing lottery works.
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 961 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 978 Member
    Depends on your school....very few of the NE schools have new dorms. Some schools have dorms dedicated for Freshmen and/or by Uppers/Lowers. In general, at least in the NE, the best dorms/rooms are not given to Freshmen. There are a few schools where students of ALL grades live in the same dorm. Keep in mind that most of the NE schools frequently mentioned on this site are OLD. Many used to be single-sex schools and had different set ups. Also, different needs of students years ago. On our revisits, Hotchkiss seemed to have the relatively newest & nicest dorm for Freshmen. The biggest rooms with walk-in closets we saw were at Miss Porter’s. Most Hogwarts themed were at Emma - some with fireplaces and gargoyles outside the windows. I hear Westover has large rooms with windows seats in some.

To the OP’s original question @ how to choose? When you do have a choice of dorm, think about the location that serves you best. Do you want to be in the middle of all the action? Do you want a dorm close to the athletic center or, instead, the library? Do you need to be close to the pool or ice rink? Some students like to be near the dining hall or chapel (if there is a morning check in). Think about which dorm you would like to be residing in when it’s January (miserable) and you’re walking in the snow.

After you thought about this, go out to your parent’s car with your sleeping bag and spend the night in the back seat. That is about how much personal space you will get in some dorm rooms (LOL). Chances are...You will have a nicer dorm Freshmen year at BS compared to your Freshman year at college.
    · Reply · Share
  • Eely_HovercraftEely_Hovercraft 13 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13 New Member
    A small counterpoint that will no doubt sound crumudgeonly...: learning to co-exist with a roommate is a really important life skill. I would recommend that, absent compelling health reasons, new BSers roll the dice and receive a randomly assigned roommate if that is an option for one's first year.

Is that stressful? No doubt. Might there be conflicts or bad matches? Surely. Is it easier to live alone? Absolutely. But learning to peacefully, respectfully and cooperatively coexist with someone who is different than you is not only a skill that will come in handy in ways that are difficult to anticipate, but also opens up the opportunity for a unique, strong relationship in a way that is a bit different than that developed by being dormmates or classmates.
    · Reply · Share