Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Boarding School...Breaking the ice?

Debogal21Debogal21 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
edited March 2010 in Prep School Cafe
How/when should i start the boarding school process? I am currently in 7th grade and i would like to know all about the apps etc.. I would MAINLY like to know how to break the news to my parents...ive thought of a few ways but idk how to break the ice...
( i know i have to have my parents on board when/if i go through this process, but the reason i want info on the apps is because i want all my facts straight before i present the idea) ALL ADVICE WELCOME PLEASE :)
Post edited by Debogal21 on

Replies to: Boarding School...Breaking the ice?

• Hcos12893Hcos12893 Registered User Posts: 810 Member
    go get some viewbooks from various schools
  • Debogal21Debogal21 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Thanks i appreciate the reply! do you know how i could get some/ im in the mid-west so there isnt many schools by me :( and i still havent told my parents..
  • Rad-in-Plaid96Rad-in-Plaid96 Registered User Posts: 3,207 Senior Member
    go to boardingschool.com to find some schools you like. they have links to the schools' sites where you can order viewbooks and other info
  • BlueRaven1BlueRaven1 Registered User Posts: 2,109 Senior Member
    I didn't have my parents on board till March.Just try and get your parents to let you apply for the experience, seeing as it'll help for college and stuff. Make a powerpoint, mabye? Show them some school videos, write some statistics down and compare them to the high school you will attend. Show some college matriculations and highlight how often you'd be home.
    Look at some schools websites, watch videos, resarch your options and mabye take a practice SSAT if you can afford it?
  • assignassign Registered User Posts: 712 Member
    @ rad in plaid& assign - thanks :) ive already looked at those websites! do you guys know how much it costs to order viewbooks?

@ blue raven1- OMG ! the powerpoint is a great idea! i was thinking of sending them an email... do you think that would work to? thanks for all the info! howd you get your parents on board?
  • 2010 hopeful2010 hopeful Registered User Posts: 2,041 Senior Member
    viewbooks are free.

just go on the school's website and under admission it should say inquire or request information. If you click on that, it should ask you for some information (name, address, phone, and other basic information).
  • bookluver07bookluver07 Registered User Posts: 738 Member
    you could also try to point out the positives and negatives of boarding school vs. the school you would go to if u didnt go to boarding school
    2010- idk if i should because i still havent told my parents and i dont want thme to get to the mail before me.. but its a great i dea! can they email it to you?

bookluver-hahah i actually made a sheet like that during school! i probably shouldve been paying attention ( i dont want my grades to drop) hahah thanks :)
  • KCcansps15KCcansps15 Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    just request a viewbook and act like they just sent you it, then your parents will hope on quicker lol.
    well thats a good theory! but i want them to trust me! usually im the one who picks up the mail on the way home from my bus stop so possibly! do you know how long it takes fro them to send the info?
    Say someone at school signed you up? There was a presentation or something.. This depends on how involved your parents are of course.
    well, they aren't supperr involved...but i live in the mid- west so i doubt people from b.s. would even come to my school. good idea though i could say that we were having a school convention...then again she does get the school email so yea...

EVERYONE!!! thanks again sooo much! keep posting alll of your ideas are so helpful, and greatly appreciated :)

if anyone of you were ever in my situation could you pm me and give me some i deas that you used to convince your parents?
    The Groton video convinced my mother and the FA package convinced my father. My powepoint convinced them to allow me to apply.
    thanks! do you know what the average FA rate is? idk how much my dad makes... what are some thngs that i should put in a power pointt... videos links?? im sorry for all the questions .
This discussion has been closed.