Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Andover Vs. Hotchkiss Vs. Lawrenceville

pressurizedpressurized Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited June 2010 in Prep School Cafe
I was recently accepted by the schools above.. but i am really not sure of which one to attend...
While Andover has a really high reputation, I also realized that Lawrenceville's matriculation is rather impressive.
So what do you guys think?
Post edited by pressurized on

Replies to: Andover Vs. Hotchkiss Vs. Lawrenceville

• lindhalindha Registered User Posts: 605 Member
    Andover they have no Saturday classes!
  • skisoccer2014skisoccer2014 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    I think that Andover does have Saturday classes, but only once a month. I would choose Lawrenceville because of it's matriculation data and it's a very well-rounded school. I've heard that there is less academic pressure there than Andover and Hotchkiss, and everyone I've seen go to Lawrenceville has enjoyed their experience. Nonetheless, all of those schools are top-notch, so going to any of them should make your high school experience fantastic.
  • toombs61toombs61 Registered User Posts: 775 Member
    Congrats, pressur'ed. These 3 schools are all wonderful BS's, but I think that you must already know this fact by now. There is no wrong choice here. You are, however, very fortunate to have choices.

In the end, you need to pick the school that "fits" best for you. Trite, but true. Please try to make revisit days at each school to help you find that fit. Also, make a list of things that are the most inportant to you and then see which BS might be able to help you best in developing or finding these things. (For what it is worth, I would be happy to compare these 3 schools by "pm's" with you and share with you my personal insights here, seeing that I had one brother who was a post-grad at L'ville, another brother who attended PA for three years, and a son who is now at Hotchkiss.)

Again, huge congratulations to you!
  • catgcatg Registered User Posts: 516 Member
    toombs, can you share your insights on lville and andover for the forum? thanks
    I dont know this, but Lville's matriculation stats may be skewed by proximity to Pton. Possibly a lot of Pton prof's kids? Any thoughts by sommeone in the know?
    catg, I could convey some views here on Andover and Lawrenceville shared with me by my brothers, but these points would be quite antidotal and badly dated. (My brothers attended these schools in the '70's when these BS's were all-boys and poorly supervised by faculty.) Hence, I depreciate these tales greatly (which are both good and bad) because of the passage of time and their occurrence to others and not me. Much has changed over the past 35 years, although there are probably traces of old traits and issues still lingering at PA and L'ville...as well as at Hotchkiss, for that matter. In the end, I rather keep my third-hand views on ancient stories informal and one-on-one. Thanks for asking anyway.
    You are probably right. you can get a lot of bad anecdotal info on all the schools especially from the 70s. I know some of the top schools were having problems with faculty dating students at the time!
  • newebsnewebs Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    Congrats!!

All three shcool are good. Hoever each school is different from other.

Andover is one of the largest school and is located in urban setting.
    Hotchkiss is smaller and located in a rural setting.

Andover and and Hotchkiss are part of HADES Schools. Considered the top 5 schools.

If you are from China, Hotchkiss maye be better due to their program.

It all depends where you fit in and what you are looking for?

This year 2010, it seem Hotchkiss has the lower Acceptance rate compared to Andover and Lawrenceville. This doesn't mean a thing. (Andover applciation fee was only $20 so more poeple apply too).

If you are very independent, you may be happy at Andover. Andover Program could be more challenging then Hotchkiss, depending on what courses you select. If you select AP courses they are more difficult at Hotchkiss.

Hotchkiss has some of the best facilities. Most beautiful campus. Its has a small community close net family feeling.

Lawrenceville would be my last choice compared to the other two you listed.
  • BlueRaven1BlueRaven1 Registered User Posts: 2,109 Senior Member
    I'd go with Andover which is funny because the only one of those 3 schools I applied to was THS where I was accepted. It really depends on what sort of person you are; you should go to revisits if you possibly can if you are undecided.

Sorry for the rant here but I can't resisy. HADES isn't considered the sole top 5 schools outside this forum. Just 'cause Lawrencville didn't make a cool sounding acronym made up by applicants doesn't mean it isn't as good. I have no problem with the HADES acronym it just annoys me when people take it literally as "considered the top 5". Sorry it has just started to annoy me.
  • Rad-in-Plaid96Rad-in-Plaid96 Registered User Posts: 3,207 Senior Member
    ehem (cool acronym including l'ville): LADIES L'ville Andover Deerfield ...Interlochen... Exeter and SPS ;)
    As a footnote to newebs's comments on the "Andover Program", I would like to point out that Hotchkiss has the same or similar ratio of students to courses: 2.4 students per course offered. An excellent, if not remarkable, ratio for both PA and THS.
  • neatoburritoneatoburrito Registered User Posts: 3,449 Senior Member
    Andover and and Hotchkiss are part of HADES Schools. Considered the top 5 schools.

aaaarg! *bangs head against desk*
  • BlueRaven1BlueRaven1 Registered User Posts: 2,109 Senior Member
    See, the wise parent of the year agrees with me :p!
    newebs, have you ever toured Lville?
  • newebsnewebs Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    Yes, I have visted Lville too. Beautify and a very good school too, if location, distance is not an issue.
This discussion has been closed.