Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Help! Terrible grades?!

perfectionisticperfectionistic Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
edited March 2013 in Prep School Chances
I've applied for repeat 9th grade 2013-14 to Exeter, Hotchkiss, Choate, Milton, Lawrenceville and Deerfield and submitted all application materials by the deadline. I know decisions arrive in only 18 days, but I'm wondering how badly my current transcript would hurt my chances. I go to one of the most rigorous top private secondary schools in Hong Kong, where all subjects except Chinese are taught in English. There's no ranking, but I'm in the honors class.

I didn't do so well the first term this year and my current transcript has more B's than A's and a few C's in Chinese. I also got a D+ in Art because I submitted a major project late, and I wasn't the only one who got such a terrible grade from the teacher. My transcripts from last year had more A's than B's though. How much would this hurt me? I also got an overall 94% score on the SSAT that I took in the middle of my mid-year exam period. Thanks :)
Post edited by perfectionistic on

Replies to: Help! Terrible grades?!

• GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    This I how I see it:

Let's assume that approximately 16% of all the students in a given BS are 9th graders. Then multiply the number of total 9th graders by the percentage of students that are int'l. That will give you idea of how many total openings there are for int'l students in the 9th grade. Now divide that number in half, to calculate the number of int'l girl slots and int'l boy slots.

So here’s the arithmetic:

Total____9thGr____%intl___9th.intl
    630_____101_____16%_____16____Deerfield
    1063____170______9%_____15____ Exeter
    599______96_____13%_____12____Hotchkiss
    864_____138_____15%_____21____Choate
    810_____130_____18%_____23____ L-ville

So for Deerfield, I predict they have slots for roughly 16 int'l 9th graders (8 girls + 8 boys).

The schools will NOT fill the int’l slots with kids all from one country. So let make a VERY, VERY generous estimate and say ½ the int’l slots will be filled by kids from China/HK. So for Deerfield, that computes to 4 girl slots and 4 boy slots for the 9th grade from China/HK.

Now consider that you are applying from the country (China/HK) that has the most applicants by a long shot, and that your application will be put in a pool of applicants from China/HK so your application will be compared to those of your countrymen (a lot of them) for a handful of openings.

Because there are so very many applications from China/HK, an applicant really needs to stand out.

Now also consider that you have applied only to schools with among the LOWEST acceptance rate for U.S. BS's. These far-reach schools are difficult to get into even for a domestic applicant.
  • karenhan4951karenhan4951 - Posts: 26 New Member
    Do you have to send the BSs your current transcript, or can you just ride on the basis of last year's?
  • perfectionisticperfectionistic Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    @karenhan current transcript + last year's
    @GMTplus7 thanks for your post, but I already know my chances (anyone's, really, from here) of getting in are really low.
  • perfectionisticperfectionistic Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    I guess there's no definite answer to my question huh, except that any low grades would/ already have decreased my chances of getting in
  • CellyZCellyZ Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    @GMTplus7, would you please do that but for domestic tenth grade? I'm not too skilled at fact digging and would really appreciate it.
  • PxAlaskaPxAlaska Registered User Posts: 520 Member
    I'll do it for you CellyZ. Do you want it for the same schools?
    Andover and Exeter please :) and thanks!
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    PxAlaska, you need to subtract the % day students for domestic students
    I like GMTplus7's format, but I'm gonna type it my way. I'll cite my math first. Then post an easy to read chart.

Based on Andover's website:
    Phillips Academy -
    Phillips Academy -
    There are 85 new tenth graders every year.
    8% of the school is international students. We can multiply 85 x .08 as well to find the number of international applicants selected for 10th grade. That is equal to 6.8 or we'll say 7. So out of 85 new 10th graders, 7 are international. 78 are domestic.

Exeter's website is less helpful in terms of solid numbers, but here's what I found.
    Phillips Exeter Academy | Fast Facts
    They accept around 350 new students every year. 9.6 are international. That's 350 x.096 so about 34 international accepted students per year. Or 316 domestic students.
    MY CAT JUST BROUGHT TWO DEAD BLEEDING MICE INTO MY ROOM AND I SCREAMED.
    I can't find anything about the specific number of 10th graders admitted every year.

Grade 10
    School
    New Students
    Int'l
    Domestic
    Andover
    Exeter
    350 (overall)
    34(overall)---316(overall)
  • eecaceeeecacee Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    yikes. your cat is crazy. but good stats anyways.
    Thanks Alaska! So great, I just need to be the top 78 in the USA :(
  • karenhan4951karenhan4951 - Posts: 26 New Member
    It's weird that you cite that Exeter has 350 students in Grade 10 overall. I believe if you look at their school profile, they only have about 250 or so in the senior class. I doubt that they lose 100 kids from sophomore year to senior year.
    No no no. I mean they accept a total of 350 new students overall. Not for any particular grade.
    @GMTplus7, I already did
  • kiwikiwi525kiwikiwi525 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    This is a late response, but I'm also applying for 9th grade from Hong Kong to about the same schools as you. From what I know and heard, usually schools accept 4 Hong Kong students, 2 boys 2 girls. This number can fluctuate, depending on the applicant. I believe that schools have begun to accept more students from China/HK though, so if your application is really strong, I'm sure you'll be fine :D
This discussion has been closed.