Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
exeoverexeover Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
edited March 2013 in Prep School Chances
I applied to a small number of prep schools, now I'm sitting around waiting for answers (which is the worst part).
SSAT - took once a few months ago - scored in upper 80's, I was a little disappointed but decided not to take it again (would be happy to explain).
GPA - 4.0 unweighted (all A's and A+'s for all years)
Excellent interviews, essays, letters of rec.
Many EC's: Play an instrument, study multiple foreign languages, five years of swim team, lots of volunteering for various causes. A few good awards. Will need partial financial aid.

I realize that these are just stats and do not tell the whole picture, and I realize that these cold stats are solid but not a slam dunk. The difference will be in the details, the things that might make me stand out in the essays and interviews or letters of rec... But based on the cold stats, what do you think? Since we are all sitting around nervously waiting anyway. In any event, no matter what the outcome, I'm glad I went through the process because I learned a few thing about myself.
Post edited by exeover on

Replies to: chances?

• PxAlaskaPxAlaska Registered User Posts: 520 Member
    It depends on your schools. But at Exeter/Andover I believe you will have a pretty good chance. It may be helpful to clarify exactly what you do in terms of EC's.

Champion swim team? Volunteer for? What kind of awards?

SSAT scores don't matter too much so no explanation needed.

What are you passionate about? There are many qualified applicants to selective schools. The ones who get in usually have a passion for something.
  • patronyorkpatronyork Registered User Posts: 436 Member
    Glad to hear you learned from the process. A very very positive attitude and I hope you displayed that during interviews.

BS is not the goal. It is the tool. You can be whatever you want ala you remain positive.

Your cold stats are not super but they are unlikely to work against you. It is details of ECs and other components such as what class you have taken etc.

So in general your cold stats look ok. The schools would then look more into things like what kind of person you are and what you can bring in as well as what you can benefit from, given different school culture and orientation.

Your cold stats look similar to my son's. I wish you all the best. Hope that you share good news here with us.
  • exeoverexeover Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I didn't want to get too detailed for obvious reasons. The reason I asked about the cold stats is because I wanted to feel reaonsably confident that I have the basic qualifications for such good schools and that I was not in some unrealistic dreamland when I applied. I try to be grounded but sometimes my enthusiasim and imagination prevail.

As for the SSAT, I decided not to take it again because it felt weird. Shouldn't the system be that you practice the SSAT multiple times and take it once, and not the other way around? It just felt like I would be taking two bites at the apple, and the schools would see right through that. And what if a person gets a lower score the second time? would that work against them, just like getting a better score would suposedly work in their favor? Makes no sense. I have heard of some people taking the SSAT a second time and getting a lower score and not sending it to the schools. Isn't that a bit misleading? Surely the schools can see that you took it a second time and didn't send in the score. So I decided not to retake the SSAT even though I felt I could do better (I guess everyone feels they could do better).

I am just thankful for the opportunity and I'm hoping for the best. But the truth is that even if it's disapointing news, at least I tried my best. If you don't apply, you don't have any chance. This way at least I have a chance.
  • PxAlaskaPxAlaska Registered User Posts: 520 Member
    Well said.
  • exeoverexeover Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Thanks! I think I have a reasonably good chance, if my details (essays +) are as good as I felt they were. I will post the results. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • asdfexeterasdfexeter Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Well said PatronYork!
This discussion has been closed.