Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chances for Exeter, Andover, other good schools

taximan230taximan230 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited March 2013 in Prep School Chances
I am a homeschooled 9th grader right now, and after tenth grade, I might want to repeat tenth grade at a boarding school (it's feasible, I just turned 13 in November)

So, my story goes like this:

I was born in New York to Belizean parents(a small, modest, and pretty poor country, south of Mexico, east of Guatemala). My mother and I moved to Belize soon after, and I grew up in Belize until summer 2007, when I moved to New York again.

My mother and I then moved to the Cayman Islands in summer 2008, and I went to a little Catholic School called St. Ignatius. My grades there were modest. In Year 7 (7th Grade) I had, by the end of the year, 7 As(Mathematics, Science, IT, French, Spanish, History, Music), 3 Bs(Religious Education, English,Geography), and 2 Cs(Art and Phys Ed).

From September 2011 onwards, I became homeschooled. My grades in the 2011-12 year were pretty good, with my having an A or B(not certain) in Mathematics and Grammar, and World History, and A in Literature,Writing, General Science, French, Spanish, and Music Theory.

I have had a long involvement with music. I started playing the violin when I was four years old in November 2004, and I have been playing ever since. I started playing the piano in 2006 as well(I haven't stopped)

I have had a short involvement with the cello from 2008-2011, but I dropped it.

I have done Music Theory since 2006 as well.

Grades for Music Exams- VIOLIN (Can't remember the exact numbers)

Distinction= 87 to 100 out of 100
Merit= 75-86
Pass-60-74

Grade 1- Distinction
Grade 2- Distinction
Grade 3- Distinction
Grade 4- Merit
Grade 5- Merit
Grade 6- Merit
Grade 7- Pass

Grades for PIANO

Grade 1- Distinction
Grade 2- Merit
Grade 3- Merit
Grade 4- Merit
Grade 5- Merit
Grade 6- Merit

Grades for Music Therory( I can remember the figures this time)

Grade 1- Distinction (100/100)
Grade 2- Distinction (98/100)
Grade 3- Distinciton (96/100
Grade 4- Distinction (96/100
Grade 5- Distinction (94/100)

I have been nominated for the Cayman Islands Young Musician of the Year twice (never actually won, though)

I won the Spelling Bee of the Cayman Islands in 1st place in December 2010.

*END STORY*

So, what are my chances?
Post edited by taximan230 on

Replies to: Chances for Exeter, Andover, other good schools

• taximan230taximan230 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Replies, please?...
  • patronyorkpatronyork Registered User Posts: 436 Member
    Have you taken SSAT?

I think your musical talent looks very impressive. Good luck next year!
    I haven't taken the SSAT as yet, although I intend to take it.
  • sohamc25399sohamc25399 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    i too have applied to exeter and andover this year......so we have something in common....and even i am a grade 6 in guitar practical and grade 2 in piano...

so which music exams did you take??.......the ones conducted by trinity college of music or the lcm(london college of music) or the ABRSM.

and how well do you expect to perform in the ssats. ??? ( 85% and above should be good)

except for music what are your othher ec's( sports?community service? etc.)

AND last BUT NOT the LEAST- will you be requiring financial aid( if yes then how much)

after you provide all the info i asked for i can make an estimate.....but dont rely on my judgment too much .....even i am a exeter,andover applicant/hopeful .

and it would also be good if you contact the music teachers/heads and send some videos/audios of ur perfomances........if they really like u it could raise ur chances quite high..

anyways GOOD luck..
    For the music exams, I took all ABRSM exams for Music Theory, and for Violin I did Grades 1-3, with ABRSM, the rest with Trinity. For Piano, 1-2 were done with ABRSM, and the rest with Trinity.

I expect to perform over the 80% range in the ssats. I will be requesting full financial aid, as my parents have too many other expenses and are constantly in debt.

I'm not a sporty person, however I'm going to take up swimming and kickboxing. I also participate in an Army Cadet program here, so I guess that could count as an EC?
  • sohamc25399sohamc25399 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    well..........ur music ec's are really really good........if u have ur own compositions or something then u should send them to the music heads of the departments. if they really like u....then u would have a great chance as top b.s's really value creativity

since u require full financial aid .....i think your ssat scores should be atleast 85 or above.

and u virtually dont have any other ec except for music ( since u havent started swimming or kickboxing as of now , i dont think u can really win any laurels in such a short period of time

and u should try and win some music compeetitions in us ( u sid u won in cayman)

its always an iffy with schools like this but i think u have a 40% chance of making it with full f.a
This discussion has been closed.