Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Prep School Chances for Top Schools

2»

Replies to: Prep School Chances for Top Schools

• LifeLongNYerLifeLongNYer Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    @PhotographerMom‌ do I get a prize!!! Madeira!! We may be the only two people on this board old enough to remember that...
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Registered User Posts: 1,829 Senior Member
    @LifeLongNYer - You are correct!! (LOL) For your glorious prize, I will LIKE all your posts for one week. Congratulations!!

Jean Harris- Headmistress of The Madeira School murdered Herman Tarnower ( Author of The Complete Scarsdale Medical Diet ).
  • preppieasker101preppieasker101 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey guys! I am joining George School in the fall as a sophomore! I'm quite happy with my decision but wanted to know a bit more about it from personal experience. I haven't gotten the chance to visit yet .
    How are the dorms and social life?
    How many roommates would I have?
    Is it a common bathroom or each room has their own bathroom?
    Is the food good? :P
    Are most weekends free to study or are there activities?
    How many free periods would I have if I do 6/7 courses?
    Would I have a peer mentor?
    Do the sports have classes for beginners as well as more advanced people?
    And is the community as welcoming as most say?
    I hope to get some replies soon! Thanks:)

@nylecoj007 @Brookline @Momtwinsplusone
  • preppieasker101preppieasker101 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Registered User Posts: 1,829 Senior Member
    Congrats, @preppieasker101!! Maybe @Sudsie can answer some of your questions :) .

All the best and good luck!!
  • SudsieSudsie Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    @preppieasker101 I'll try to answer what I can--D2 just graduated, transferred in Junior year. Are you male or female?
    Where do you come from?

I've only seen one dorm but it was fine. D2 hasn't been in the sophomore dorms. Generally the rooms are doubles and there is a common bathroom on the hall. There will be prefects (older students--like RA's in college) and a dorm parent living on your hall. The dorm parent may come with a family and/or pets! The campus is beautiful!

On the weekends there are various events but also people just hang out or go into town or whatever. There are some closed weekends, like before finals, which are for studying. My sense is students mix work and fun most weekends.The only mandatory activity on weekends is Quaker Meeting for Worship on Sundays.

D2 said the food is ok but not amazing. There's always salad bar if you don't like a particular entree. You can always get junk food at Betty's Place, the snack bar.

If you take 6 courses you get one free period, none if 7.

You have dorm prefects who are seniors as mentors, and peer group leaders in Essentials of a Friends Community, which is a peer group. There will probably be one or more for new Sophomores.

Sports have developmental teams as well as JV/Varsity--everyone is expected to participate.

And yes, it is a wonderful and welcoming community!

Please let me know if you have more questions and I'll pass them along to D2!

• SudsieSudsie Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    Oops--just read your first post--female and living in Africa--there are quite a few international students at GS. One of D2's roommates was from Turkey. Again, happy to answer more questions.
2»
This discussion has been closed.