right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

It's time to stop chancing each other and give back to future applicants...

Replies to: It's time to stop chancing each other and give back to future applicants...

• AtriaAtria 820 replies16 threads Member
    In addition to the above...

Its equally important to demonstrate dedication to community service... Showing dedication to one service for a long duration (in regular intervals) is impressive. It shows dedication and persistence to do something throughout the year...
    Doing a community service (unique or no) for just a couple months is not the same...
    · Reply · Share
  • HhopefulFforSsuccess2021HhopefulFforSsuccess2021 256 replies19 threads Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    In addition to above...

I live in the countryside. My family doesn't have enough money to take me to Jamaica every year, although I wish they did. I am not exposed to as many opportunities as many other applicants are. I don't have any unique service activities I can join in the small town I live in. The most I can do is shelve books at the library (which is a lot more tedious than it sounds.) I'm not mocking or trying to be mean to anyone who is able to do more, and if anything I encourage you to keep doing that if you can!

I know some applicants are like me and they read about other people who have a lot more EC's than them and a lot more experience in, well, anything and everything. However, never use your situation as an excuse. The Ao's know about your situation, and now they want to know what you did with it. Go out and make the most out of your situation. I reached out this year to volunteer work. I joined clubs like Mathcounts and participated in the Science fair-- this year was my first year for all! Not only will this look good on your application and to the AO's, but it's good for you in general. I made it to the Chapter competition! I'm going to the District science fair next week! And the best part is, I'm going to continue doing science fair-- it's really fun for me! I'm want to keep working at the library-- it's really fun and I get to work in an environment I love.

Do anything you can, and if your school doesn't offer volunteer opportunities or clubs, do things yourself that you feel passionate about. Again, make the most out of what you've got. I promise there's more than you think you can do.

Sorry, I'm not very good at conveying ideas clearly, but basically...never give up, regardless of your situation.

Also, the points above by Nico and Atria were wonderful.

Also...remind me any grammar or spelling mistakes if you find any, thanks :) .
    edited March 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • AtriaAtria 820 replies16 threads Member
    Since we are on this topic:

When people say community service, you envision food drives, helping poor, rescuing animals, etc. The fact is, community service can be anything; as long as you goal is to help someone else. It doesn't need to be large or extravagant. Any effort counts. You don't have a community service program? Create one, gather a group of friends and organize a food drive, build a fence, etc... Or even simpler: help your elderly neighbor with her grocery bags... Take her dog out for a walk... What are your interests? Perhaps you are good at art or dance. Organize a intro class (it doesn't have to be somewhere special... a local community center, or even your house) for the kids in your neighborhood...Yes some of these things you can't account for in your app... But you know what... The application doesn't decide you life... The experiences that you will get and the exposure that you will receive is invaluable...

So yea that's my mini spiel... Go help someone... :D
    · Reply · Share
  • Fielding2000Fielding2000 122 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I, for one, volunteer at the Ojai Raptor Center (I'm into birds)!
    · Reply · Share
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom 1978 replies61 threads Senior Member
    Really nice posts, everyone! Thank you so much!! There is always room for more !!

Convalescent Homes ( as an example ) are always looking for volunteers. I imagine a young musician playing for the elderly on a quiet Sunday afternoon, or a young person reading to someone who can no longer see.... those are just a two lovely ways ( off the top of my head ) that someone anywhere can share their time, talent, and make a difference in someone's life .

It never needs to be grand... just meaningful to you.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nico.campbellNico.campbell 709 replies18 threads Member
    @HhopefulFforSsuccess2021 You should be immensely proud of how resourceful you've been, coming from the countryside... Seriously: no matter the outcome on Friday, just realize all of the amazing thing's you've done! :)>-
    · Reply · Share
  • preppedparentpreppedparent 3341 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Identify what makes you awesome and ask those close to you who know you best, and focus on that! Don't try to be anyone else, that's already taken, (to paraphrase Oscar Wilde.) Make your own contribution to your communities and realize you are good enough for any of these schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • monica20monica20 87 replies5 threads Junior Member
    I second @HhopefulFforSsuccess2021 . AO's are looking for creative innovators who know how to use different situations to their advantage. When I lived in the rural south, I didn't have half the opportunities that I currently do in the city. I applaud you for taking the initiative to contribute to your community! I also second what Nico said about devoting yourself into community service opportunities you care about. Doing community service for the sake of looking good to AO's seems sketchy to me, and taking action for causes you love allows you to expand on your interests. AO's will get a better idea of what you stand for.
    · Reply · Share
    Another important note: Although test scores are an important part of your application, DONT OBSESS OVER THEM. If you are applying to Andover and get a 90% on the ssat, you're in fine shape! going from a 90-93% really won't make a difference (and it's harder than you think to improve your score). Just get within the school's range, and relax. If you don't have enough EC's or are lacking in another part of your application, great test scores can help fill that gap BUT again, a 2% change won't make a difference in your application. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • Personof2017Personof2017 100 replies44 threads Junior Member
    One more thing: Be yourself. Love the school that loves you.
    · Reply · Share
  • HhopefulFforSsuccess2021HhopefulFforSsuccess2021 256 replies19 threads Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    I forgot to mention this about the SSAT, but please try your best to stay calm while performing it. Try some calming exercises/ breathing exercises. Stay focused. Tell yourself "I can do it, and I will do it." I remember how anxiety lasted me halfway through the test and I really felt it impacting my performance on it. However, that may have been just me.

Also: Use your time wisely.
    edited March 2017
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you for all the wonderful posts! :)
    · Reply · Share
    Hey, y'all! I've reflected more since my decisions have come in, and I've got more advice.
    - Show admissions officers your aspirations and passions. I talked extensively about my love of activism during the interviews for the two schools I applied to (both HADES) and it definitely stood out to my interviewers. In the notes sent in packages from A and E interviewers, both highlighted my passions and aspirations significantly. Every kid applying to BS has the general good stats and personality, but your passions will distinguish you from others. Tell them what you want to do with your life.
    - Be nice to the kids at the school you're touring! My friend (who also applied to a HADES school) did a local alum interview, and her interviewer let it slip that sometimes, AOs might ask the kids if you were friendly. I assume everyone will be friendly no matter what, but it's a good thing to keep in mind.
    - Don't procrastinate during the app process- you may end up turning in some forms late to a school... (cough, cough, something I may or may not have done.)
    - Don't be afraid to apply to "second-tier" BSs. Hidden gems are often forgotten because they don't have the same name value as HADES schools, but their academics and social scenes are often very respectable. Your dream HADES school may not be a good fit, while that "second-tier" school you might have seen mentioned on CC could have been a perfect fit. My friend (the one mentioned earlier) was rejected from her dream school, and she's seriously mulling in regret that she didn't apply to Tabor or Emma Willard, schools she only began to look at later.
    - I cannot emphasize the "don't be complacent" attitude ENOUGH! I know I mentioned this earlier, but I was shocked with a result last weekend, so I'll say it again. My friend (who has a sibling at Exeter, does nonstop community service, has devoted ECs, had a 98th percentile SSAT score, applied with full pay, had a 5.0 GPA, and wrote amazing essays) was waitlisted at Exeter! If any candidate was 'perfect,' it would be her. Our entire community wasn't worried about her admission (they were more worried about mine lol) and we were all thoroughly shocked upon her decision. Never assume anything! Admission seriously isn't a guarantee for anyone, no matter what anyone on CC tries to reassure you. At the same time, don't spend your days stressing in a nonstop flow of anxiety like I did- it isn't good for your health. Que sera, sera- honestly.
    · Reply · Share
    Sorry if I suggested anything I didn't mean to! I totally agree with everything @PhotographerMom posted.
    · Reply · Share
    Just a simple clarification, @monica20 . No worries. :) All the best and I hope you have an amazing year next year!
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks ! I love this thread idea, btw.
    · Reply · Share
    This has definitely been my favorite thread to post on so far :)
    · Reply · Share
  • zixzaxzixzax 17 replies6 threads Junior Member
    @PhotographerMom: Your comment(quoted below) is really intriguing! For those of us just starting to make our lists (and applying next year) can you mention a few/handful of names making it to the top of these JBS matriculation lists? Much obliged! Thx!

"Here's an interesting tidbit to ponder : If you've looked at JBS matriculation lists lately, you will see that many VII form kids/families are staying away from the schools most mentioned here on CC, and I can assure you that it's not because they can't get in! Keep in mind that most of these families have access to many SSs, and have already spent a minimum of 150K on their child's education. Much, much more if they arrived at JBS via their PDS."
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity