Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Getting into Groton

2»

Replies to: Getting into Groton

• Korab1Korab1 Registered User Posts: 338 Member
    I agree with @preppedparent - read the view book - its also a good idea to look at the course catalog on line, look at the upper level/AP classes so you and/or your child can reference whatever opportunity may exist that catches his or her eye.

As someone who was in a similar position to yours at this time last year, resist the urge to feel like your circumstance is unique. To the contrary, there are hundreds just like you, coming from an under performing public school where everything is too easy, looking for the child to be pushed, rub elbows with equally motivated peers, etc., etc., etc.

That is BORING! Don't be boring, be interesting. While your circumstances are not, unique, your child is - figure out how to show that to your admissions officer

Are you full pay? from an underrepresented geographic area? a minority? The one thing your child's profile is light on is community service/extra-curriculars. Schools expect to see that.

Good luck in your pursuit of Groton - it really is an amazing community. I know my son would have been very happy there had he chosen to accept their offer.
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 3,150 Senior Member
    My daughter's interview with the head of admissions focused on why Groton? and a lot on sports.
  • Nomad001Nomad001 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    >> its also a good idea to look at the course catalog on line, look at the upper level/AP classes >>

That's a good read for what's covered in form 2 (grade 8). Interesting regarding languages where Latin is on the curriculum which my son has expressed interest in. Choice of a world language: one of French, Spanish or Chinese which wouldn't be on my son's list of language choices.
    Also the section on visual arts is interesting.
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 831 Member
    Groton struck us as much more diverse than some of its peer schools.. that probably dilutes the preppiness? No?
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    @CaliMex thats funny. It seemed the "whitest" of all of the schools we visited.
    ^^have to agree with @Center
  • cababe97cababe97 Registered User Posts: 409 Member
    It's awesome that your son wants to go to boarding school! One thing that is very improbably to consider is the amount of schools you're applying to. Not many schools accept kids for the 8th grade. How badly does you son want to go? Groton is a highly selective school and nobody can guarantee admission.

I don't know you or your son/what his needs are, but if he really has his heart set on going to boarding school, I junk he should wait another year and cast a wide net of schools to apply to so that he can try and make sure he is able to go to boarding school. Good luck!!
  • Nomad001Nomad001 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Yes I've seen that there are plenty of good schools which offer boarding starting at 9th but very few at 8th.
    He is very keen and knows Groton is not easy to get into. His mother and I are very supportive and we'll see how the admissions process works out.

My 2 students only applied starting in 9th. Both got into schools for ninth. Looking back, I would have suggested they apply to Groton for 8th. Easier to get into. Fewer seats, but much less competition. I would not wait for 9th which is highly competitive.
  • Korab1Korab1 Registered User Posts: 338 Member
    @CaliMex @Center @preppedparent - Groton is actually the most diverse prep school I know. According to www.boardingschoolreview.com they are 43% students of color which is the highest reported number I have seen.
    Actually I believe that they are right in the mix with dozens of schools with what they "report".
  • badminton4lifebadminton4life Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Being an eighth grade applicant myself, and not getting in, I am not sure how much I can help but I can say that you need to be diverse in many different fields. Not only do you need to be a high academic achiever, but also an athlete/public speaker/musician, they definitely want diverse talents.
    @badminton4life Agreed! and for what it is worth, I am not sure how much easier it is honestly. We visited Groton and know a number of current students and recent graduates. I think they are wary of people applying for 8th simply to get early (kind of like Milton's lower school). They don't want to ask people to leave later.
2»