right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

TAMS Class of 2021 Prospective Applicants Thread

TAMS2021HopefulTAMS2021Hopeful 9 replies3 threads New Member
edited April 2018 in Prep School Chances
Hello guys! As the title indicates, this thread is focused on any prospective applicant to the Class of 2021 at the Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science. Feel free to post your thoughts, comments, tips, advice, expierences, etc. to help out future applicants.
UNT's Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science is the nation's first early college entrance residential program for gifted high school students. Online applications and forms for the Class of 2021 open on July 31st, 2018 on the website. To be considered for admission, a prospective applicant must:

- Complete and submit the online application (Deadlines are December 9th for Early Decision applicants, February 10th for Regular Decision Applicants),

- Take and send sophomore SAT math and verbal scores (Only Official College Board scores will be considered),

- Submit English, Math, and Science teacher evaluations,

- Submit a counselor or principal evaluation,

- Submit a residency questionnaire,

- Submit copies of report cards from 7th and 8th grades, and

- Submit official high school transcripts from all high schools attended
This is also a “chance me” thread and I would like to share my stats with you guys on CC so you guys can judge my academic expierence so far and give me tips for maximizing my chances of getting accepted to TAMS. As you may have already guessed, I am a freshman who goes to a high school in Texas. Plus my grades are very bad compared to most people who apply. So, here goes:

* 7th and 8th grade report cards - I went to two different middle schools in two different school districts in Texas, and still have to get the report cards from my old school. Anyway, I had only two Bs out of all my classes; everything else was an A.
*High School Transcript - Haven’t gotten mine yet (I will get my mid-year transcript when I go to my high school as I am at the freshman center right now), but here are my classes so far and my selected classes for next year (including grades from semester 1):
- HGAP (89)
- PAP Art 1 (92)
- PAP Biology (88)
- PAP Geometry (76)
- PAP Spanish 2 (86)
- PAP English 1 (85)
- Medical Terminology (92)
- Intramural Tennis Fall/Spring (100)
Sophomore Year:
- WHAP
- AP Biology
- PAP Chemistry
- PAP English 2
- PAP Spanish 3
- PAP Algebra 2
- PAP Principles of Health Science

*All Extracurricular Activities (7-Present)
- UIL Calculator Skills (7)
- UIL Science (7, 8, 9)
- UIL Spelling (8)
- UIL Mathematics (8)
- Builder’s Club (7, 8)
- Academic Team (7, 8)
- Tennis Team (8)

*Awards/Honors (7-Present)
- A/B Honor Roll (7)
- School Spelling Bee Winner (7)
- UIL Spelling Academic Excellence (8)
- Fall Team Tennis Tournament Medal (8)

So, considering my stats, what are my chances of getting accepted next year? What should I improve on, what is good, bad, etc. Thanks for reading this long post and have a good day
edited April 2018
16 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: TAMS Class of 2021 Prospective Applicants Thread

This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity