right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chance me for Boarding Schools (Andover, Exiter, etc.)

2»

Replies to: Chance me for Boarding Schools (Andover, Exiter, etc.)

• denvermanningdenvermanning 23 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    edited July 2018
    Thanks. Any more chances and things I can do would be much appreciated!
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliPopsCaliPops 330 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 332 Member
    edited July 2018
    This will sound trite, but just be yourself. Don’t try to game the system. The admissions officers review and have reviewed thousands of applicant packages; they will likely see through any image you try to portray if that image does not align with what your current teachers say in their recommendations. And if you do gain admittance to a school by portraying yourself as someone you're not, you may find yourself in a school that is less than a good fit. Being in a high school that is a poor fit will make you unhappy and will probably not help your cause when it's time to apply to college.

Research well the schools you are considering and reflect on why the school may or may not be a good fit for you--there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Continue to do your best in school this year, and continue to pursue with zeal the activities in which you are already engaged. Good luck.
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • denvermanningdenvermanning 23 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks. Any more "chance me"s would be great!
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfgr8Golfgr8 975 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 992 Member
    To the OP - this is for yourself, right? Your interviews are important. My sense is that AO’s are looking for not just smart kids or talented kids...they are also looking for (drum roll).... happy kids. Do you come across as a happy kid? We saw kids waiting in the admissions offices of some schools and they just looked uninterested or bored. Maybe there were both, or maybe just afraid. You have to put on a positive front even if you are afraid. The AO’s often ask “Why do you want to go to boarding school” and “Why do you want to attend “X” or this school?
    I believe your demeanor and attitude does make an impression just as much as your numbers. Do you seem like a happy kid during your interviews? Also...Can you hold a conversation with an adult about current events? Yes - one more thing - smile, make eye contact, shake hands, and be polite while you genuinely show that you are serious about attending their school. :bz
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you everyone.
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 2018
    Oh and I got a SSAT score of 99Reading 98Verbal 97Math and I'm getting all A's except for one 92.
    My interviews went good at all schools. I am applying to Choate, Goton, Andover, and Lawrenceville because of their amazing music and academics. They all have opportunities that I never could be available to 14-18 year olds back Florida.
    How does that affect my chances?
    edited November 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • TemperantiaTemperantia 242 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    If music is your thing, take a closer look at Hotchkiss.
    · Reply · Share
    I can't revisit so I"m only trying out for those 4 schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliPopsCaliPops 330 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 332 Member
    Congrats! Those are great scores and obviously a plus factor. Please understand, however, that scores plus grades alone do not guarantee acceptance.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you to everybody who answered - I really appreciated your advice and encouragement.
    · Reply · Share