Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me for H-W and Polytechnic; IHP; Stanford Online Please?

JudiAUJudiAU Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
Can anyone chance my son for Harvard-Westlake or Polytechnic? And if you are familiar with public schools, the IHP program at Walter Reed?

ISEE: 9-7-9-9 VR 98 RC 86 QR 97 MA 96

In public school testing, perfect SBAC state test score these last two years, 97% before, NWEA 99% in all categories this year and 95%-99% all years of testing, at least 4. Straight As both years he had grades. Identified gifted by district.

Presumably nice evaluations because he is an affable nice kinda quirky kid who is not a discipline problem/. But we come from a charter school that is lovely on a lot of fronts but lousy for gifted kids. Nice extracurricular actives but he isn't an athlete.

He seems like a perfect admission but we are applying for financial aid of at least half. White boy. And worse IMHO, father went to Exeter and Harvard. Mother went to gifted public and various good other schools. We can't afford the best but he has a lot of privilege which I acknowledge without the monetary boost. One parent is an academic and the other is very sick, will maybe recover or get much sicker (expensive.) Our income is low, our expenses our low, but our asset base is high. If it matters, socially well connected, but not as well locally.

If we go public, we'll probably supplement with Stanford online for Latin. If anyone has another source I'd be happy to hear of it.

Replies to: Chance me for H-W and Polytechnic; IHP; Stanford Online Please?

• CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 1,693 Senior Member
    Most of the folks on this board are focused on New England boarding schools, so they might not be familiar with LA day schools. Have you considered any of the smaller CA boarding schools that might like a high stat kid to up theirs averages? I’m thinking Dunn, Midland, Ojai Valley School, Besant.. Their financial aid budgets are limited, but they might really like your kid? And they aren’t too far from you. Our kid is at Thacher, but it is probably too late to apply there...
  • CaliPopsCaliPops Registered User Posts: 328 Member
    I sent you a DM.
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 Registered User Posts: 1,236 Senior Member
    @JudiAU I have a couple of online Latin sources depending on what he's interested in and what level he's at. PM me if you'd like and I'll send them along.
  • JudiAUJudiAU Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    So I overshared in my original post and neglected to read the user agreement so this is here forever. Thank you to those who responded or PM’d me. I wasn’t able to respond because I have too few posts. I just wanted to update that we were qualified and wait listed for IHP, a lovely and thoughtful program within public schools for highly gifted kids. They fill seats later in the year but there will be just a few. The application year was last year but I was too sick to apply. Still a chance and I really liked it. Lots of smart hardworking kids and very thoughtful teachers; gigantic classes and poor resources.

We were waitlisted at HW and Polytechnic both, for obvious financial aid issues. I’m sorry we raised my son’s hopes. I didn’t apply to safety privatesbecause I didn’t want one of the many happy and pleasant non-academic options available in LA. I wanted solid academics and there simply aren’t many options. I have some sour grapes about the kids we know who were admitted; very sour grapes about the life choices that required financial aid; seems to be the feeling for the age. This was for 7th so we have a few years to get him to an actual boarding school which I guess is the option.

I’m not really sure how to enhance his my son’s chances. He is a pretty great math student so I guess the path is nationally ranked contest math. I hate to do it when he’d rather write a poem.
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 1,693 Senior Member
    Have you considered junior boarding schools on the East Coast? Fay, Eaglebrook, Fessenden, Cardigan Mountain, Indian Mountain, Bement? Some have rolling admissions. These schools are for 7th, 8th, and 9th grades.
  • JudiAUJudiAU Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thanks. I’ll look at all.