right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Typical Interview Questions????

charpmike35charpmike35 24 replies6 threads Junior Member
edited January 2009 in Prep School Chances
Hey, I was wondering what questions I could expect at a typical interview.
I'm applying to Exeter, St. Paul's and Holderness.
94% reading
96% verbal
99% math
98% overall
edited January 2009
49 replies
Post edited by charpmike35 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Typical Interview Questions????

• DiveAliveDiveAlive 1714 replies20 threads Senior Member
    I see and hear
    "What did you do this summer?"
    "Describe your after-school activities"
    "What is your favorite and least favorite subject, and why?"
    "Why would you like to attend ________?"

IDK. I wouldn't worry too much about the interview, unless it's by phone (I suck at phone conversations!). Just be yourself and try not to sound scripted :P
    · Reply · Share
  • arox94arox94 607 replies68 threads Junior Member
    what books have you read recently
    · Reply · Share
  • BrooklynGuyBrooklynGuy 630 replies36 threads Member
  • SenaySenay 1121 replies9 threads Senior Member
    when are you the most proud?-exeter

phone conversations are easiest for me. i don't get nervous and i never stop talking, cause, well, i like talking about myself
    · Reply · Share
  • charpmike35charpmike35 24 replies6 threads Junior Member
    thanks good advice:)
    · Reply · Share
    yea thats a toughie. i would say education and cause i get to live on my own
    · Reply · Share
    but the live on my own is not a good thing
    · Reply · Share
    im referring to hotchkissjin's comment but shes ahead of me cause of time differences
    · Reply · Share
  • hotchkissjinhotchkissjin 713 replies32 threads Member
    i would start thinking about "why did you decide to apply to boarding school"
    · Reply · Share
  • tennisgirl123tennisgirl123 9 replies3 threads New Member
    One of the things I would include in my interview would be that I hope to have an unforgettable high school experience at _____ academy. Also, you have to show a passion for wanting to go to an academy. Hope this helps!
    · Reply · Share
  • starz27starz27 369 replies15 threads Member
    The very first question that the interviewer at Exeter asked me was: describe where you live.

It really threw me off. It was my third interview and I hadn't gotten a question like that. I didn't know if he wanted to know about my town, family, school, where I go after school,...
    I don't think that was my best interview :(
    · Reply · Share
    aww it's okay star27
    · Reply · Share
  • WowsaWowsa 37 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Make sure you have a list of questions to ask the interviewer. They don't want to do all of the asking and when you ask a question, it shows an interest in the school.
    · Reply · Share
  • scubasteve1233scubasteve1233 44 replies15 threads Junior Member
    I had the most amazing Exeter interview, and my Choate was awesome also.
    The Exeter guy asked a bunch of very deep questions, which really made me think. He was super cool, and a millionaire alumni. I had the interview on the top floor of a skyscraper overlooking (city) and it was amazing.
    My Choate interview was very casual. I just showed up at the apartment, and we just kinda talked. But it went really well. Eventually, the interview was over, and they said that I could stop talking like I was in an interview. They kept offering me wine and stuff. We went to dinner afterward, and they even drove me back to my school. (I don't live in America)
    I have a Deerfield phone interview coming up. Has anyone had one?
    · Reply · Share
  • starz27starz27 369 replies15 threads Member
    scubasteve, where do you live? thats sounds really cool.
    · Reply · Share
    Israel.
    The Exeter alumni was an ex-fighter pilot, Georgetown and Harvard graduate, and ran a huge company. So pretty much led my dream life.
    · Reply · Share
    he asked u to drink wine. like w-t-f?? is that normal in israel? u refused, right? it was probably a test to see if you would take it and if you did, it would definitely be on the interview sheet
    · Reply · Share
  • mpiczmpicz 2341 replies24 threads Senior Member
    No...its casual in a lot of places outside america. I can go anywhere in Europe and get a drink at 16...
    · Reply · Share
    I don't drink. But it is not that big of a deal. Like he said, different culture. I was just in Greece staying with a friend. And at every meal her mother or family offered me wine/beer/whiskey/ect... but I don't drink. It is just a matter of culture
    · Reply · Share
  • mpiczmpicz 2341 replies24 threads Senior Member
    I think if Americans made drinking more casual at home you would have a lot less idiot kids getting wasted at parties. If your deprived of something for the majority of your life, obviously once you can get it you consume it in excess. While this is not the case for everyone it is for a lot of people...

I don't drink, but that's because I don't like to drink. I don't think my dad would care if I had a beer would friends (even though I never would), my mom would go crazy but thats a different story lol.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity