Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What boarding schools should I apply to?

deepsy52deepsy52 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
edited September 2009 in Prep School Chances
I am going to be a sophomore this year but am applying as a repeat sophomore, but I don't know much about which schools would be a good match for me. I will need FA. These are my stats:

in 9th grade I had a 4.067 weighted GPA (I took all Honors classes and got mostly A's, some B+'s)
ECs:
Rec soccer
Jazz Band (flute)
String Ensemble (cello)
Operation Smile (it's a club at my school that raises money for kids with cleft lips & palates)
Concert Band (oboe)
Marching Band (clarinet, this is my first year of it)
Have had private piano lessons for 9 years and oboe for 1 year
Girl Scouts (9 years) - I got my Silver Award & about 40 hours of community service, I will be getting my Gold Award this year and hopefully much more community service hours
Earth Club
Model UN
I am also very passionate about photography & could send in a portfolio.
Also planning on running Track this spring, if that counts. I've never done it before.

I haven't taken the SSATs yet but when I took them in 8th grade I scored in the 93 percentile, if that helps. And I am planning to work very hard this year and get straight A's.
Post edited by deepsy52 on

Replies to: What boarding schools should I apply to?

• deepsy52deepsy52 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Forgot to add - I am also on the Principal's Leadership Team at my school, which is a group of students chosen by the principal to work as a link between the students and the administration.
  • 2bizee2bizee Registered User Posts: 499 Member
    Why would you apply as a repeat sophomore? You're doing fine.
    I would apply as a repeat sophomore because it is much harder to get in as a junior. Apparently it's not uncommon to do that.
    I go to a public school right now, by the way.
  • wickedcrazywickedcrazy Registered User Posts: 484 Member
    Heyy...... you are the person I took a class with this summer, no? I won't give anything away, but Jessica was our teacher, right? I don't want to say names of us or anything, but...

Oh. If this isn't you (which I'm pretty sure it is), never mind. Sorry.

However, if it is..... POUNDER!!!
    Yes it's me!! Haha (:
    Hehee. That makes me so happy. Want some?

You are an amazing applicant and I am so glad you're applying! Will you do classics in BS if offered?
    If offered, I probably will. Do you know what schools would be good matches/safeties for me? I really don't know. I've been looking at Taft, Peddie, Miss Porter's, Emma Willard, NMH, Gunnery, Kent, Loomis Chaffee, and Choate, but I don't know which ones I actually have a good chance of getting into.
    I think you have a really good chance at getting in to the top schools! You may as well try. I can really see you at Choate, Taft, Lawrenceville.
  • DiveAliveDiveAlive Registered User Posts: 1,734 Senior Member
    you have a great chance at the schools you listed. you mentioned a passion for photography; i forgot which school it was, but apparently one of them had a great program (it might have been choate.. or concord.. or milton..)

good luck! :D
  • WintersetWinterset Registered User Posts: 717 Member
    Look at some of the most competitive schools too. They have more scholarship dollars
    I don't think I could get into any of the HADES, so hopefully some of the other ones I mentioned will be able to give me sufficient FA...
    I would not assume that. With your grades, extra curriculars and projected SSAT's, you stand a very reasonable chance. I know SPS better than the others, but do not discount yourself too much.
    I agree, give hades a shot. You have great stats.
    Really? I thought I had no chance at a HADES, but maybe I'll put a couple of them on my list. Thanks!
    On this site most people get WAY too focused on stats. I can assure you that St. Paul's does not make their decision based on stats. If they did it would require no people. You could submit your stats and the computer would produce an admissions letter. All schools decide based on the individual. Some "high stat" kids get rejected, some "low stat" kids are admitted. Most schools want to know that you can handle the work load and will rise to the challenge, but beyond that they want to know about your personality, you skills, how well do you get along with others, where are you from, and whether you have skills and experiences that will 'add to the mix'.

So its the individuals, not the stats. True at boarding schools, true at colleges.
This discussion has been closed.