Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Extra Curriculars

polodollypolodolly Registered User Posts: 401 Member
edited May 2010 in Prep School Chances
okay so here are my extra curriculars, I may add a few, just letting you know:
4 years of viola, 2 years private lessons
the orchestra that I am in has won 3 platinum awards, and I have received special reconition

I am on My School's Literary Magazine

I am on the School's Newspaper

I was chosen for a Young Leaders Association in my town, which is basically community service

I have been in Girl Scouts for 8 years, and have completed over 50 hours of community service while participating

I have won a poetry contest

I do field hockey 3 times a week

I do tennis 3 times a week....

I almost participated in like a summer program at John Hopkins iver this past Summer, but the plans fell through sadly

and, I think that that is it, but I may add more
and I am applying to the Hotchkiss School

Plates rate, it will be appreciated
Post edited by polodolly on

Replies to: Extra Curriculars

• polodollypolodolly Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    I also have almost straight A's, so PLEASE comment and tell me your opinion,whether or not you think that those are enough extra curriculars! PLEASE rate my chances, and I am also a child of an alumni as well as a URM! Your input is appreciated, believe me
  • frannykfrannyk Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    having alot of extra curriculars is great. And you obviously have a bunch.
    However, what the schools want even more than the numerous extracurriculars is wether or not you are extremely talented at one of them. Quality, not quantity.
  • bookluver07bookluver07 Registered User Posts: 738 Member
    viola is a great instrument to play because it is rare
    Thats exactly why I chose it, everyone else chose the violin
    Please reply people, give me your opinions!!!!! I'm also considering other schools in the top 10 east Coast schools, tell me if that idea is ludicrous or actually reasonable.
    bump.........
  • BlueRaven1BlueRaven1 Registered User Posts: 2,109 Senior Member
    Except everyone on CC seems to play the viola... It's weird

I play it and so does Urbanflop and others.

Good ECs, better than mine actually although my strengths lay elsewhere. I was accepted at Hotchkiss..
    mayb its becuz we all chose to play something that is rare so schools would accept us...idk
    thanks! congrats on getting into Hotchkiss..im hoping that the legacy thing will boost my chances a little...
  • BlueRaven1BlueRaven1 Registered User Posts: 2,109 Senior Member
    When I choose to play the viola, I hadn't even heard of BS and wasn't even thinking about it being rare...
    me neither, I didn't mean for it to sound like I only played it for a BS. Playing a string instrument is kind of required in my family, my sister plays the bass, my brother the cello...
    bump..hehehe..this is fun
  • urbanflopurbanflop Registered User Posts: 1,682 Senior Member
    I wanted to play the violin, but my music teacher wanted me to do the viola since my friend was doing it, so I did.
    my teacher didnt have a viola on hand but the violin sounded too high for me and then all these years i have realized how good it is to continue since it is rare
  • exoveerotchexoveerotch Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    what grade are you applying for? your ecs look great, but long-time committment is going to add quite some weight to your apps, but the longest ec you've been doing is girls scout, so i would put some emphasis on that, what about any awards that you've won, leadership titles, school grades, standardize test score----all are quite important.
This discussion has been closed.