Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which school is best/worst for . . .

13»

Replies to: Which school is best/worst for . . .

• maharaja63maharaja63 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    thanks Periwinkle for your answer; Std XI is equivalent to Junior year.

yes, i did look into the campus(es) of both the schools in their sites.

GMTplus has raised a very pertinent question, any feedback on that?
  • stagemumstagemum Registered User Posts: 544 Member
    NMH is a large school, with splendid on-campus resources, but it is in a very rural location. Concord is small, with a high day-to-boarder student ratio. They don't have the on-campus resources that NMH has, but it is an easy commute into Boston, where an enthusiastic dancer might be able to arrange weekend excursions for classes.
  • friendlymomfriendlymom Registered User Posts: 379 Member
    I don't know about urban vs. rural, but I sense that there would be a difference between schools with a large day student population and those without. If a big proportion of the kids are going home at the end of the day and on weekends it seems like there's more of a partying opportunity because the way the kids spend time is at the discretion (or lack thereof) of parents. In the dorms there's a more consistent set of rules. Which is not to say that there's no partying, just a different environment for it.
  • maharaja63maharaja63 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    stagemum and friendlymom agree to your view points. thanks for the comments.

meanwhile, academically which one can be regarded stronger in Junior year (std XI) : NMH or Concord?
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Registered User Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    maharaja63 - Please start a new thread with your questions about NMH and Concord. Thanks!

Go back to the Parents' main page (where all the threads are listed), go to the top of the page, and click on "New Thread." Start a new thread (sample title: "NMH vs. Concord?"). Then post your questions about the two schools there.
  • PeriwinklePeriwinkle Registered User Posts: 3,505 Senior Member
    GMTplus7, I don't think parents can answer this question. Unless one has ten children, all attending different schools, who all share everything with a parent, it's really hard to tell. I think it also depends upon the student body, and the expectations and habits they bring to campus.

NMH and CA are great schools, but they're very different. The same child might do well at either campus, but it would be best if the family were to revisit campus.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    The issue Friendlymom raises re the percentage of day students, reminded me of a comment made by the interviewer (an alum) for one of the schools to which DS applied. In front of me, the interviewer told son to make friends w the day students because they're the ones w the cars... wink... wink...

I immediately mentally crossed that school off the list.
  • PelicanDadPelicanDad Registered User Posts: 536 Member
    ^^While I understand your concern, I think it's a mistake to cut a school for such a reason. Riding in cars with classmates in high school is a pretty common phenomenon...to the movies, ice cream, pizza. Your response says as much about your presumptions as anything.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    When an interviewer makes inappropriate comments to my kid, accompanied by winks, the red flags go up for me.
  • friendlymomfriendlymom Registered User Posts: 379 Member
    GMT's experience sounds like a problem with having an alum as interviewer rather than a staff member. I'm sure the school would be horrified to know the interviewer did that.

Maybe the day student/boarding student partying thing is something I got in my head after reading the book about the Milton scandal. It just seems like the more day students, the less time collectively spent in the centrally-controlled (for want of a better word) environment at the school. I know that at some schools we visited it seemed pretty clear that when weekends rolled around the social life was around the home life of the day students, and not around what was happening on campus. But, needless to say even at schools that are 100% boarding, students find a way to get into trouble.

Back on the original topic, St. Paul's makes a very big deal of their "freedom with responsibility" system and is very interested in students learning to make their own way. So I would say that it's not a helicopterish school.
13»
This discussion has been closed.