Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Miscellaneous Ramblings...

Replies to: Miscellaneous Ramblings...

• girlgeekmomgirlgeekmom Registered User Posts: 513 Member
    GG's school does not offer laundry service, so it's moot at this 200-year-old "hidden gem" (you know, not one of those "Top" schools).

That said, having ironed my share of dress shirts in the day, I could totally see the benefits of laundry service for busy scholars who have to wear jackets and shirts to classes... having seen some young peoples' idea of "ironing," I would assume that for many parents, the savings on burnt shirts alone would be worth the cost :)

As for the expensive yoga pants... there are, imo, limits to self-expression. Turquoise hair, okay--- if that's how you're wearing it every day. As long as you dress for the interview in something that shows you care about it...

And Photomom, just think! This is a wonderful life lesson and amazingly altruistic behavior on your kids' part. Unless, of course, they're running a secret charge-by-the-piece operation ;-P
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,088 Senior Member
    Regarding ironing…my kids can and do iron at home (I happen find it moderately therapeutic), but I would worry about having an iron in dorm room in the same way I'd worry about a hot plate. Wonder how many people's kids have personal clothing iron (as opposed to rig in laundry room).
    Many schools don't allow any heat-producing device in rooms. Chez GG, ironing gets done in laundry room or "alcove," aka common room, using school-supplied iron and board.

Or... not at all.
  • firstgenbsp112firstgenbsp112 - Posts: 177 Junior Member
    My son does his own laundry and so do many other kids based on the fight for an empty washer. If I found out that my son was sending his clothes out in someone else's bag, I would nip that in the bud- essentially cheating-stealing however you want to look at it. I look at it from the standpoint of character. How can you expect kids to follow an Honor Code and then they turn around and cheat the laundry service.

I am not directing this comment at the person who posted the situation, I am just saying how I would handle it if it was my kids was trying to cheat the system. We agreed that possibly he can use the laundry service during Junior year when the heat is on. Until then, he will be deciding what to wear straight out of the laundry basket because I know it gets washed but I doubt it gets folded and put away.
    Definitely ranking... we can diss the concept of "safety" vs. "Top Tier" schools or better yet, applicants and their obviously delusional families? ;)
  • creative1creative1 Registered User Posts: 1,657 Senior Member
    How about a discussion on how threads are too quickly & easily shut down? ;)
  • london203london203 Registered User Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    ThacherParent...

How about: "which school has the TOP laundry facilities?" Would that do it? :)
  • neatoburritoneatoburrito Registered User Posts: 3,449 Senior Member
    Parlabane will be so happy to know that my daughter does her own laundry without fuss.

(and how DARE you! :) )

It just occurred to me how few of us from the original laundry thread remain. It's just an inside joke to most here.
  • redbluegoldgreenredbluegoldgreen Registered User Posts: 1,256 Senior Member
    PC: Everyone knows the "top" boarding school is the one that is the best fit for your student. Tee hee :)
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    1) I'm glad my boys don't have access to an iron. They would probably try to heat food with it or take a simple ham sandwich from the student cafe and make it into a panini.

2) I think my boys are just helping out their fellow man. And they're not sending out entire loads of laundry for other kids. It's more like odds and ends and it doesn't happen all the time.

3) Right after I posted my last comment, I received a random email blast from the laundry service. Spooky, right?

4) I was largely responsible for two (count them) SD threads being shutdown. Just in case we're keeping score.

5) Choate is a safety school.
  • redbluegoldgreenredbluegoldgreen Registered User Posts: 1,256 Senior Member
    If you haven't yet, I think you'll learn there is no such thing as a safety school.
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    That was too easy :)
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,223 Senior Member
    Laundry: ChoatieKid did his own laundry first year because, obviously, it was the morally correct thing to do (and you could buy a brand new washer and dryer for the price E&R Laundry was charging). Last year, Choate negotiated a price with E&R that made the service only slightly more expensive that what he paid in quarters first year so, obviously, the morally correct thing to do was let him use the service (no matter how badly laundered/lost the items were). Two weeks into this year, CK decides the service is crap and wants to do it himself. He takes care of the cancellation, and we tell him that, for being so cost-conscious, we’ll split the refund with him. Moral of the story: whatever ChoatieFamily decides regarding laundry is the morally correct thing to do.
    Many schools don't allow any heat-producing device in rooms.
    Good thing that is not a Choate policy or ChoatieKid would have nowhere to sleep. ;)

I think we should discuss why CHASED is the best acronym for the most highly pursued schools and why you should do everything you can to get your kid into one of them to ensure admission to HYPSM. It really isn't worth the money for second tier.

(Obviously, none of us has anything better to do... Maybe we should discuss the pathetic lives of BS parents.)
  • classicalmamaclassicalmama Registered User Posts: 2,261 Senior Member
    I cannot believe you guys are resurrecting laundry, just as I've depleted my ranting reserves over on the FA thread...

Just saying. Now I must nap.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,223 Senior Member
    He started it. (Points finger at someone else.)