Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Miscellaneous Ramblings...

SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 3,865 Senior Member
edited January 2014 in Prep School Parents
A few thoughts that didn't seem to fit on any thread (including my own "One Family's Story" thread)...

- A recent reminder of the uneven playing field BS AOs need to be mindful of.
The other day, I was walking through the Princeton U. squash gallery and overheard a conversation by two kids on a court. A girl, who appeared to be in her middle school years, replied to some question from a fellow player with the following, more or less verbatim, “Oh, Wednesday mornings are no good for me, I have chamber ensemble before school.”

My first thought about this overheard exchange was this “Wow, that is some esoteric stuff this kid is into at such a young age.” When I was in 8th grade, I was playing scholastic league soccer (badly), had already given up playing the saxophone, and had the following before-school commitments: Eat Breakfast.

Goes to show what a difference geography/socioeconomic status can make. And how Boarding School (as well as college) Admissions people really need to take this into account if the process is going to be anything close to equitable.

- What not to wear, BS edition
I was sitting in the admission area of a BS mentioned occasionally (and not often enough, IMO!) on this forum. No, it was not SAS. And while the majority of applicants appeared to be wearing what I (and most people, I think) would consider to be appropriate outfits; one young woman was wearing an ensemble that both my wife and daughter felt compelled to mention on the ride home. Yoga pants, a tank top, one of those very open-knit slouchy sweaters, worn off the shoulder, and Uggs. I don’t care if you play squash and play cello like Jacqueline du Pr
Post edited by SevenDad on

Replies to: Miscellaneous Ramblings...

• SharingGiftSharingGift Registered User Posts: 552 Member
    Perhaps she just got out of dance studio?
  • london203london203 Registered User Posts: 1,300 Senior Member
    I think it is things like this that cause much of the "panic" about BS applications on this board! :) I guess we have to hope that the AO's have ways of getting the best out of each applicant. I don't know how they do it..... if you try to compare "apples to apples", it could prove difficult if one "apple" is at chamber practice while the next "apple" is at a bowl of Cheerios.....
  • NYCMomof3NYCMomof3 Registered User Posts: 387 Member
    SevenDad was she wearing this to be interviewed? If so def. not appropriate attire
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 3,865 Senior Member
    @SharingGift: I don't think so. And even then...

@London: I think the opportunities available to my own children are something I very much take for granted, living in relative proximity to a university town…so it was good to be reminded of the disparities that exist. FWIW, I do think AOs factor this stuff in. And as I noted somewhere here over the years…for the most part, we parents are doing the best we know how/can afford.

@NYCMomof3: Was definitely a prospective student…
  • creative1creative1 Registered User Posts: 1,657 Senior Member
    Perhaps the girl was from a family with a socioeconomic background or profile that was unable to provide her the guidance to dress a certain way for a boarding school interview? I would imagine that the AO would put her attire into proper context just as they would need to do so for Wednesday morning chamber ensembles. ;)
  • cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,269 Senior Member
    We will never forget the girl who exited her admission interview and walked back with the AO to the reception area (where her mom was). The AO was still talking to her about her application, and the girl was actually checking her phone and sending texts. I thought her mom's head was going to explode. My d's take on the situation? "She must not care about whether she gets accepted here or not. Maybe her parents made her apply."
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 3,646 Senior Member
    Good job, 7D, a promising thread has degenerated into the vile clothing discussion. Would anyone care to comment on whether or not kids should be doing their own laundry? ;)
    @creative1:
    There are allowances to be made, I think, for dress. But these were that fancy brand of yoga pants that begin with an L…so I don't think the economic part of the socio-ec factor was in play here.

That said, I think there is a part of it which ties back to what I observed in the Squash gallery (ugh, I hate myself for even writing that…"I observed Professor Plum in the Squash gallery with a candlestick."). Not necessarily for the girl in my example, but in many other cases.

I don't know where I'm going with all of this, btw. Hence, the title of this thread. I guess what I'm saying that it's a complex issue.

But still, prospective students/parents…no yoga pants.

@ChoatieMom:
    There's hope for this thread yet! ;-P
  • ParlabaneParlabane Registered User Posts: 596 Member
    Only lazy, entitled, good-for-nothing kids send their laundry to wash and fold!!!!!
  • ParlabaneParlabane Registered User Posts: 596 Member
    Yes, that was a joke.
    Hah.

BTW, I am interested in hearing other parents' "misc. ramblings"….I know you have them.
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Registered User Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    Both of my kids have laundry service (cough). I look at their clothing as an investment.. well, kind of. I found out recently they're letting their friends (without service) send their clothing out in their bags.

So, before anyone brags about how well their child does laundry.... I think there's a BS laundry racket going on.

Now that I got that off my chest: What is a "Top" Boarding School?
    OMG, PhotographerMom has invoked the "nuclear option" by posing the "Top" Boarding School question!!!!!

We are surely going to get shut down now.

I call sabotage!!!! ;-P
  • london203london203 Registered User Posts: 1,300 Senior Member
    I have to confess I am absolutely laughing my head off. This is a perk of your kid being at BS.. no one to notice when you do crazy things all alone in your house. :)