Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

Helicopter parents buying house near kid's boarding school

Replies to: Helicopter parents buying house near kid's boarding school

• payn4wardpayn4ward Registered User Posts: 2,848 Senior Member
    I think that perfectly makes sense as they are day students. The original thread was about parents buying a second home near their boarding student splitting time between their main residence and a second home near the boarding school.
  • agentwoodagentwood Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    "The couple who recently bought a house in a town where they hope their child might attend boarding school a year from now."

Wow. That's unbelievable! 8-|
  • mexusamexusa Registered User Posts: 567 Member
    When I first saw this thread, I thought "that is crazy!" However, after Parents Weekend, I can count over two dozen sets of parents who have done/are doing some version of relocating to be closer to the BS. Apparently, it is quite common. Who knew?
  • allinoneallinone Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Its really alarming that our culture sees parenting as superfluous after the age of 14. It is almost as if parents need to go underground if they, god forbid, care about and want to be physically close to their kids after middle school. No wonder kids don't feel the need to communicate with their parents after that stage. Parents and children are related for life, folks. Why is physical proximity, aka the desire for a family to live together so taboo? After all, we could have totally controlling parents who live a 1000 miles away and the most liberal parents that live under the same roof as their kids. More families need to live together than apart and for as long as possible. Some cultures got that right for many centuries and are the happiest people in the world.
  • stargirl3stargirl3 Registered User Posts: 3,377 Senior Member
    I have an international friend whose parents bought a house nearby (less than an hour). It's easier for her parents to come in for vacations than for her to fly across the world.
  • harboundharbound Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I hope you realize this is a humor article :-0
  • ItsJustSchoolItsJustSchool Registered User Posts: 1,974 Senior Member
    NO! Are you sure @harbound? I believe it is serious! Parents flocking to the dorms, usurping kids so they can "be close to their student". I got a good laugh out of it! ;)
  • payn4wardpayn4ward Registered User Posts: 2,848 Senior Member
    Perfect! Kill two birds with one stone. I always wanted a do-over and to bond with my child while "group studying" for the SAT.
    Quite a few parents at CRH moved to CT to either be closer to soon-to-be-boarders or have them be day students. I know at least a dozen just from 3rd formers!!!
    Actually, about two dozen.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 930 Member
    When we were at Exeter a young girl on a panel from near our home piqued my interest as she lived just 15 minutes away. The moderator then referred to her as local now as her parents either moved or bought an extra house in NH.
  • ParlabaneParlabane Registered User Posts: 596 Member
    Never understood the helicopter choice. I love being with my kids to be sure, but one of the core reasons for sending them to boarding school is for them to achieve genuine independence. If there's not actual distance, if a safety net is always 15 minutes away, then you basically have a day school outcome. That's fine if you want it, but it eliminates one of the great benefits of boarding school.
This discussion has been closed.