Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BS Class of 2017 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2017 Thread

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,967 Senior Member
    I don't think BSs give students much down time, even as seniors. Mine found the whole concept of "senior spring" much overrated.

I do think many seniors at BS start chafing at the bit with all the rules and regulations, though, at least mine felt that way. In many ways, it's a good thing (as long as they don't do stupid stuff that prevents them from graduating!).It's good for them to be ready to move on. Among their peers, the ones that seemed to have a hard time adjusting to college life were the ones looking back a little too wistfully at their BS years.
  • HMom16HMom16 Registered User Posts: 601 Member
    My daughter definitely enjoyed her senior spring. She kept up with her classes but spent a lot more time socializing and cementing bonds with her classmates. Her school transitioned EC leadership in January so she definitely had more time to enjoy herself.
  • london203london203 Registered User Posts: 1,372 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    @cameo43 Already???? Holy cow that was fast. 3:-O
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,194 Senior Member
    FWIW, the acquaintance we ran into was not a BS student. But very smart and I'm sure generally very driven/motivated. I asked kid mostly to make conversation, but also out of curiosity/hope that it isn't too "real" of a phenomenon. But I guess the answer is the usual (and somewhat unsatisfying) "It depends".
  • HailuMuHailuMu Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    My kids grades made a jump up once app deadlines passed. There is a spirit of senioritis as far as wrapping things up and having more time for personal endeavors especially since all her sports have ended but since she genuinely enjoys studying she relished the freedom to do it while not having a ton of other obligations. Boarding school kids really do have a lot expected of them especially if they have leadership roles to fulfill.
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 540 Member
    My 2017'er is not a BS student. She goes to our local public school. Oddly, she has felt pressure to lay off of her school work. She was accepted early decision and over and over again well-meaning adults have commented that she can relax now, take it easy, enjoy her senior year, etc. DD finds it aggravating because she would like to do just that but she is not good at coasting. She is the type who studies hard and gets As or high Bs or doesn't study and gets a D or worse (learned that fast - doesn't happen now!) She never found the sweet spot of doing just enough. The pressure to slack has been very frustrating for her.
  • TheStig2TheStig2 Registered User Posts: 221 Junior Member
    A big congrats to all the '17 Seniors! DD had a bit of a lull since she applied ED to college so had a more relaxing winter trimester. She just finished her spring sport season and studying for a couple of AP exams now so not able to slack off too much lately.
  • payn4wardpayn4ward Registered User Posts: 3,000 Senior Member
    @carpoolingma Same here with my DS1, a '17er in local public school. Senioritis must be a public school thing. :))
    I think DS1 has also suffered from junioritis, so basically he has been coasting for almost two years. I-) [-( I am hoping college wakes him up. :-B
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney Registered User Posts: 668 Member
    NMH has a special rule to curb senioritis which I hear was enforced last week (oops!) Any senior with a violation in the last month of school, even if it is a first violation, is immediately sent home and not allowed to walk with his or her classmates at graduation; diplomas are issued through the mail. I don't believe colleges are notified however (unless and I am guessing here, it was a very big oopsie) As they say at NMH orientation every year - "Don't be that kid!" <:-P
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,194 Senior Member
    My concern (and impetus for asking) is less about discipline issues/rules infractions and more about general laziness. I know if I were to get into a school early, my nature would probably be to slack off precipitously....
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,348 Senior Member
    @SevenDad , having to sit for the IB exams can curb that tendency. I've known kids who were accepted to schools abroad on the condition that their IB score was X or above. Talk about pressure!
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney Registered User Posts: 668 Member
    edited May 2017
    I think by the time most kids are seniors, the work ethic is so ingrained and homework so automatic that the majority are not really at risk of majorly blowing off everything. They have already drunk the Koolaid. I would think it is more common for kids to slack off just enough for their grades to drop from a plus to a minus rather than a major melt down?
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 540 Member
    In my kid's LPS, if you are a senior and maintain an A average in a (non-AP/DE) class, then you don't have to take the final. For a certain type of kid, that is a pretty good incentive!