Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

BS Class of 2018 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2018 Thread

• Momto4kidsMomto4kids Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    This is anecdotal as well, but my son reported that his class did quite poorly with EA in the ivies this year. There were only a handful admitted where in the past there have been a good chunk. Also, many rejections as opposed to defers. I know that at least a few of the admitted were "hooked".
  • jdeweyjdewey Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    edited January 17
    Deweykid is doing regular decision only... so you guys are making me sweat over here. It will all work out.........
    for those of you that know folks doing EDII when do results trickle in? X_X
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 2,618 Senior Member
    Pomona's ED II is always early to mid February.
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney Registered User Posts: 513 Member
    Emory’s ED 2 application deadline dates coincide with RD - you get the extra credit for promising to enroll if admitted but the university can see all the RD tuba players applications at the same time as your ED2 application. Decisions are released by Feb 15 for ED 2 vs April 1 for RD
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 3,467 Senior Member
    ^I think that's the norm. Although I think they read the ED2 apps first. (Or they would release all decisions mid Feb.)
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 15,895 Senior Member
    Congrats to your son and your entire family, @Momto4kids!
  • queenmotherqueenmother Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    @Momto4kids, congratulations to your son!
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 778 Member
    Congrats @Momto4kids !! <:-P
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 2,618 Senior Member
    Yay!! Congrats. You gotta have a few of these good days to keep you goin'. So happy for you and one of 4 kids.
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 654 Member
    Congratulations, @Momto4kids ... Did I do the arithmetic correctly? Did your son apply to 16 schools? Is that the norm these days? WOW. That's a lot of work!
  • Momto4kidsMomto4kids Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    @CaliMex, yes that’s correct, he applied to 16 schools. He originally applied to six EA and rolling, but I was worried. All of those schools are big state schools which don’t give much financial aid to out of state kids. This last admit from today is the only exception as they meet full need, but was a major reach. I told the college counselor that he needed some more safer financial schools. The next ten are mostly privates that reportedly can be more generous.
    I think that some kids apply to less schools, but when you need financial aid you need to cast a wide net. Fortunately, most were on the common app so that helped. I was shocked, however, by the cost of it all. With the application fees, ACT fee for each school and the CSS profile fees we spent over 1000$ on the whole thing.
  • twinsmamatwinsmama Registered User Posts: 1,345 Senior Member
    My daughter also applied to 16. All are selective privates; most wanted extra essays. We couldn't talk her out of any, and the ones she doesn't love quite as much are those where she is more likely to be admitted so couldn't be dropped. She did say after it was pretty much done that although it hadn't been more than she could handle (because she handled it), it had been as much as she could handle. Five applications were "free," but not free with sending scores, arts supplements, and CSS Profile fees. My son applied to 11. You do the math. :-(
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 654 Member
    Is that what the Groton and Mercersburg college counselors recommend for students who will need FA for college? Wow!
  • infinityprep1234infinityprep1234 Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    oh wow we wait anxiously for 2019. Despite having top grades, ECs, the need for $$$$$ makes us anxious.