Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

buying dress clothes for boys

sadieshadowsadieshadow Registered User Posts: 263 Junior Member
It is interview season and I have a tall, broad shouldered 8th grader. He definitely won't fill out men's jackets and yet his arms, etc. are too long for boys. Men's pants are too long in the crotch .. . boys are too short. You get the picture. I always prefer to shop on line and order a bunch of sizes and try them on at home. Any suggestions: Brooks Brothers? Land's Ends? Others? Given his tendencies, I can't see one size fitting for the first interview through the last interview. .

Replies to: buying dress clothes for boys

• carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    edited August 2016
    I learned something last week...the sleeves of jackets can be let out! We were having the same issue with my son who is tall but very lean. The sales people in Macy's couldn't help us. They just suggested going to other stores. We bit the bullet and went to the Nordstrom men's department. There, a salesperson measured my son and sent us up to kids. He said the tailor can let out the sleeves and the pant length right from the get-go. We went upstairs to kids and, sure enough, he is in an 18 or 20. The tailor came right in and is making the alterations now! (I can't remember the size and we haven't picked them up yet from alterations.) Not only will it fit better, but the cost is less because it's kids! (And it's their anniversary sale. I think today may be the last day. And the alterations are free.)
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 6,586 Senior Member
    I also recommend looking at size 18 or 20 in the Boys Department. Also look at Express . They're pieces tend to fit younger adult frames better than traditional men's suits. Marc Anthony brand at Kohl's may also work .
  • sadieshadowsadieshadow Registered User Posts: 263 Junior Member
    Great ideas. I am going to be on it right now. Sounds like manufacturers don't waste much time fitting typical 14 year olds . . Nordstrom has been suggested more than once .. I will check the other brands as well. Cheers
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,223 Senior Member
    edited August 2016
    One thought at least with regard to pants, is that once you get out of boys sizes, you get into pants that have a range of waist/length pants. So you can get sizes like 28W x 34L or even 36 L. Also, if you are getting true dress pants (from say, Brooks Brothers), the pant legs come unfinished and are hemmed on request.

With regard to jackets, some of the newer styles are cut VERY slim (with high cut armhole) with less structure than jackets of years past. Honestly, when I first started wearing them, they felt almost restrictive...too tight. But you get used to it and they do make the wearer look slimmer (not that your son needs that). Finally, keep in mind that jackets should actually be shorter than the shirt sleeve...so that some shirtsleeve shows past the jacket. Anywhere from 1 to 1.5 inches. So the jacket sleeve could end at the wristbone while the shirt sleeve goes farther down.

Nordstrom is good, but I'd also check out Brooks Brother's "Red Fleece" line. <---- assumes you don't mind spending $$$ on clothes for a teen.
  • payn4wardpayn4ward Registered User Posts: 3,013 Senior Member
    I also have bought size 18 and 20 nordstrom brand shirts, jackets and pants and had jackets and pants let out in length as much as possible. They put tapes just inside the hem.
    The only issue is that they would not do alteration without having and measuring DS there. So some negotiation is needed to take the boy to the mall. :-?
    I also buy size 18 and 20 for DH saving $$ and buy my shoes in children's section as well :))
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 6,586 Senior Member
    I was able to get a Ralph Lauren blazer for 75.00 and pants for 40.00 in size 20 for my son at Belks. Calvin Klein also has size 20 Blazers
    @payn4ward: When I was a teen, I lurved the mall!
    Bribery!
    To clarify, my point about the jacket sleeve is that what might seem "too short", may be — in a stricter sartorial sense — totally correct.

BTW, I need to revise my statement on how much shirt cuff should show. It's more like 1/2 inch to 1 inch (with more being more "dandyish". Most online sources I could quickly find cite 1/2 inch, but in my experience with more modern silhouettes, up to an inch is fine. With arms at one's sides, the shirt sleeve cuff should almost touch the point where the hand starts to widen from the wrist.

• soxmomsoxmom Registered User Posts: 730 Member
    I go the cheap route, because they grow so much at this age (and for the next several years to come). The slim fit line of Old Navy men's clothing fit my tall, skinny son long before any other brands of men's clothing did. I don't think they have blazers, but they're great for chinos and wrinkle free dress shirts. In fact, I just checked the website and they have some of their wrinkle free shirts on sale for $12.99. Awfully hard to beat that!
  • twinsmamatwinsmama Registered User Posts: 1,501 Senior Member
    We've found JCPenney to be an excellent source for decent-looking clothes for a growing teen boy. The transition between the largest boys' sizes and smallest men's sizes was relatively smooth. We even found an acceptable suit there last year at a bargain price. No, it's not a great suit, but it fits well and looks fine for a teenager.
    Aeropostale has a 60%off sale right now. We just bought a bunch of "uniform" shirts - polo shirts in different colors and with no insignia - for about $9 each.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,149 Senior Member
    edited August 2016
    We used Nordstrom back in the day when my son started in 9th grade. If your son can wear a size 18 or 20, they have some decent price points and the quality is good. There are a few cheaper options than this, but here's a blazer on sale that seems like a good buy:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hart-schaffner-marx-sport-coat-big-boys/4037204?origin=category-personalizedsort&amp;fashionsize=18 (Big%20Boy%20XL%20)&fashioncolor=NAVY

These clothes will take some abuse so between that and growth spurts, definitely don't spend a lot. If you have my luck, making a purchase will ensure a growth spurt within a month. ;)
This discussion has been closed.