Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tuition remission for employees

2»

Replies to: Tuition remission for employees

• InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    ^^From the above article
    "We don't admit them carte blanche, but I think all of us try to give special consideration to faculty children," Mr. Blackburn says. "It's probably even better than legacy consideration."

Everyone in the article makes statements like "all else being equal, this would be a tipping point" or, as above, that it's equal to or slightly better than being a legacy. Far cry from being the equivalent of a development admit.
  • Charger78Charger78 Registered User Posts: 711 Member
    I have known faculty children who wanted to go to other high/boarding schools for whatever reasons. Sometimes the school will help foot the bill, and I believe a number of similarly wealthy colleges do the same, in lieu of a reduced tuition at their own institution. In response to changing demographics, like a spike in the number of faculty children, some BS will put rule changes through to address a perceived problem. A prospective employee should see or inquire what the rules are early on in the hiring process as it is a big deal; and might gauge interest by how quickly the school let's them know!
  • CindyLWhoCindyLWho Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    I have worked at several boarding schools. All have offered tuition remission and it is a pretty open "secret" that fac-brats have preferential treatment in the admissions process. Also, the assumption that boarding school teachers can't afford the tuition is pretty close minded. We have a child who has received tuition remission because said child chose the school I worked at. Other child is full-pay at another boarding school. Some teachers teach because they love to teach, not because they need the paycheck.
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    Fac-brats and their parents/families were a huge part of the greatness of AppleKid's private school at home. I was a college fac-brat and I know first hand how much faculty are in it for the kids. Admin can be great or even not, and so too the student pop, but the faculty are who really define a school.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,675 Senior Member
    "Also, the assumption that boarding school teachers can't afford the tuition is pretty close minded. "

No one was making a judgment here. Bottom line is that the salary of a faculty member, with the exception of some higher ups, falls below the threshold for full pay. But of course spouses often work, some have other financials sources, etc. It becomes moot when faculty get an employee discount anyway but, yes, many would qualify for at least partial need based aid.
2»
This discussion has been closed.