Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BS Class of 2020 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2020 Thread

• SculptorDadSculptorDad Registered User Posts: 2,328 Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    I talked to DD over phone today. I think it was the first call this year that lasted longer than a couple of minutes. She is not calling us this year because she doesn't have problems to discuss like she had last year.

AP Bio seems is the most challenging course at Grier, because it is the only double-periods class, and with heavy prereqs - A in both advance bio and chem. Bio was not her favorite subject but she is planning to take it next year anyway, because her friends highly recommend it as a very well taught course.

She is taking AP Physics 1 now, which I worried to be too easy because it is repeat of her previous community college course. Fortunately, most of her classmates have taken Calculus and the teacher covers a lot of Physics C materials too, since it just is easier to explain Physics 1 theorems using Calculus. So it's still the most challenging and favored course this year.

Last year, she had very little free time and still was sleep-deprived because she had problem with procrastination, that she doesn't have now. She got professional help in the Summer. So even though she is taking more challenging classes this year, including 3 APs, she can do all the academic works before 11 PM and still have weekends free, which she takes activities and reads many none-class books.

Even bigger difference of this year was starting day 1 with old friends, instead of struggling with her introvertness for nearly two months to make new friends as she did last year. She is also making new friends in her grade, so she won't be alone after this year when majority of her old friends graduate.

In the Summer she was planning to apply for early college for next year. But now life is so good that the transfer is gone for good. She also talked about standardized tests and grades. She is rapidly growing ambitious about very competitive colleges, which I can't mind even though I don't want to push either. Maybe she will contribute on Grier's matriculation list.

We met a psychiatrist. I am seriously considering getting help for myself too.
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue Registered User Posts: 538 Member
    There's professional help for procrastination? Gee, I think I'll call a shrink next week :-c
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 1,609 Senior Member
    @SculptorDad What kind of treatment works for procrastination? How many sessions does it take to be cured? I'm in California, too! Who is this miracle worker? I want to go!
    edited October 2017
    Please ask any questions about professional help, if you are serious, on PM. :)
    I feel that the gravity of having an empty-nest is finally kicking it. I had always thought she might come back but I am realizing that dd is truly gone gone for her separate life. She is not even coming home this Thanksgiving and visiting a friend instead. Between homeschooling and boarding school, we never had the "school parents experience" and now never will.
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    We definately all have our different journeys @SculptorDad. AppleFamily never homeschooled (we would have failed miserably), but I imagine that it is a very special time and connection between parents and kids. And we shouldn't rule out just yet that we might get them back at some point in their adult lives! I do have to say that one thing I miss a lot about the "school parents experience" was the socializing with the other parents. We get a little bit of that when we visit AppleKid at school, but it's far less than when the kid was home.
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue Registered User Posts: 538 Member
    How was Parent/Long Weekend for everyone? Although only three weeks ago, it already feels like a year has passed since I hugged my DD goodbye. I am SO looking forward to her coming home for the Thanksgiving Holiday next Friday! Woo hoo--only seven days away!
    We didn't visit in the parent weekend because of logistics and also dd didn't want us to come. She isn't coming home for Thanksgiving either and will visit a friend instead. We both love living independently but we text quite often and deep. Still I would love to see her in the Winter break!
  • RuralAmericaRuralAmerica Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    @itcannotbetrue Parent’s weekend was awesome! I loved getting to watch my DD play volleyball again. (I seriously miss watching her play) I loved getting together with the parents and seeing the staff again. My Mom and I went out together and so it was us three girls for the weekend and it was just great! I’m counting down the days until she’s home for break! I’m super excited to see her. The time I have with her is just so much more special. I’m glad I’m not the only one this excited!!
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Today I was watching boarders load into vans bound for the airport and more than a few brought along their laundry service bags. Interesting luggage alternative. *-:)