right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

BS Class of 2020 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2020 Thread

• AppleNotFarAppleNotFar 1035 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Reading about the BS and college decisions here is freaking me out about being at the halfway point! For many of us, two years ago our kiddos were making big decisions for high school, and for most of us, in two years they’ll be making big decisions about college. How did we get here?? Even with AppleKid away at school, I can’t begin to wrap my brain around the idea of the kid going away (again!) to college. :-O =((
    · Reply · Share
  • GoatMamaGoatMama 1331 replies12 threads Senior Member
    %-(
    · Reply · Share
    I'm taking GK to see a couple of colleges during mid-spring recess at the end of April. Any kids taking SAT subject tests in May or June?
    · Reply · Share
  • payn4wardpayn4ward 3191 replies13 threads Senior Member
    P4K '19 is taking Chem test in June. Hopefully, he improves last May's scores.
    He took Math 2 last June and got an 800.
    · Reply · Share
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue 582 replies13 threads Member
    DD is taking Chem and Math II for SAT subject tests. and depending on pre-ACT results, prepping for and taking the ACT or SAT this Summer. She took Physics subject test last May. Hoping for @payn4ward ‘s son’s 800!

Agreed with @AppleNotFar —it seems like she was prepping for the SSAT just yesterday! ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad 2268 replies66 threads Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    DD is planning to take Math II this Summer, but she is flying back home Friday and I am not sure if taking it the following day is a good idea. For me, taking August test before school starts sounds better, because math skills will only improve over time and is not short term memory based.

On the other hand, she plans to take World History and Biology next year, and the June SAT II test for those would be better so that she can take them while her memory is fresh.
    edited April 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma 757 replies8 threads Member
    DS is taking the MathII in May.
    He is taking the Bio Subject test in August because May is in the middle of Bio AP test prep and he will be away for the June test.
    We haven't decided on the best date for the first SAT or ACT test.
    · Reply · Share
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad 2268 replies66 threads Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    DD took her first SAT (had a specific need) & PSAT (school required) last year. She will get her second PSAT (school required and for NMS) this Fall. I don't think she will need another SAT except one on Summer after Junior year, which will hopefully be her last.

Because both English and Math skills for SAT will improve naturally over time, I don't think it's a good idea to take it earlier and get it done, except for those exceptional students who can get near perfect scores in earlier years.
    edited April 2018
    · Reply · Share
    DD is taking SAT Math 2 and Chem subject tests in June and SAT French with listening subject test in November. She'll take her first SAT in August to have a score for college athletic recruitment, but she'll take it at least a couple of times later on as well. This summer, she'll take a bio class locally so she can test out of regular bio and enroll in Advanced Bio for junior year (and take the SAT Bio subject test in June of junior year).
    · Reply · Share
  • MA2012MA2012 1243 replies1 threads Senior Member
    DS is taking SAT Chem in June. He took Math 2 last year.
    · Reply · Share
  • MA2012MA2012 1243 replies1 threads Senior Member
    All over the local news is the story of a PA Spanish teacher (and cross county coach) who placed 4th in the marathon. She was a bit surprised, but she’s used to running in this weather while many of the top women aren’t.
    · Reply · Share
    If I had more motivation, I'd search the other boards for this information, but alas, I do not. Instead, I turn to you, my seasoned online BS parent friends for help. Please blame this on not my lack of motivation, but on my lack of geographical knowledge of New England. Or both.

So far, DD has expressed interest in schools in the Boston area (of course!), as well as VA/DC, CT, and NY. That said, this year and next's school drop-off and Parent Weekend will inevitably include a few college visits.

That said, if we are looking at the usual highly, (highly!) competitive Boston-area schools, what might be some (reasonable?) 30-50% acceptance range match schools that we could add to the mix? A vague question at best, I know--and yes, also one I could research myself--but there is the motivation piece again, rearing its ugly head! Off the list are all-girl colleges, and large state universities. Unsure of major, but right now she is leaning toward the sciences. We will probably have three days for the Boston area trip, with two schools a day at most.

Thanks in advance. Signing off now to purchase her ticket home for the Summer (cart before horse, as usual :)

· Reply · Share
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar 1035 replies11 threads Senior Member
  • CaliMexCaliMex 2015 replies34 threads Senior Member
    WPI? @cameo43 can tell you all about it...
    · Reply · Share
    Booked her flight home. LOL
    · Reply · Share
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma 757 replies8 threads Member
    Good question, @itcannotbetrue !
    · Reply · Share
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney 807 replies1 threads Member
    Emerson?
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 6299 replies10 threads Senior Member
    I was going to say Emerson as well. It's quite strong in theater and journalism.

You may want to look at Bentley. I know a kid who is thriving at Wheaton.
    · Reply · Share