Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BS Class of 2020 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2020 Thread

• itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue Registered User Posts: 538 Member
    @AppleNotFar --THAT is hilarious! DD comes home in four hours (hopefully with no dirty laundry). Counting down!
  • queenmotherqueenmother Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    So happy to see my kid! Of course he came home with a suitcase full of dirty laundry that HE has to wash.
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney Registered User Posts: 746 Member
    Washing machine here was just fired up by my BS student - great minds think alike!
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad Registered User Posts: 2,328 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Good luck for all whose kid took the PSAT. The score is out. If you live where the score is published in 12~13, you can use a proxy server in California to spoof ip.

DON'T forget that the score WILL go up by next year, after another year's schooling and hopefully some preparation!
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    How do you use a proxy server in CA????
    Otherwise I have to wait until tomorrow.
    Here is how you can do it: http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-set-up-a-proxy-in-windows-10/

and here is a list: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/proxy/list1.html

Personally, I think an inexpensive lifetime private proxy server account is very useful for protecting your identity (and access collegeboard for AP scores, etc.) such as this one;
    https://slickdeals.net/f/10950235-vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription-5-devices-18?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    We were scheduled to get it the 13th but I just checked and there it was. AppleKid might start studying over winter break! :-O
    edited December 2017
    It says the release date depends on where your kid took the test. That's not correct though. It depends on the ip address they see when you login to check the score.
    @AppleNotFar, Summer vacation wouldn't be too late. :)
  • GoatMamaGoatMama Registered User Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Our results (test taken in NH) were posted and available through Family Connection: http://connection.naviance.com/ [enter your school's name here].

The College Board claims that sophomores scoring at or above 95% are likely to score at the 99% when taking the test as juniors - but it seems they omitted the phrase "provided they prepare for it"... :) So don't despair, @AppleNotFar!
    BS have sophomores to take it so that they can be prepared for the real PSAT a year later. There will be major improvement over the next year with some prep.
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    Thanks for the kind and helpful words @SculptorDad and @GoatMama. I’m trying to gain my own perspective before I bring the score up with either DH or AppleKid and this is my go-to place for such perspective! AppleKid is really busy this last week of school and I’m not going to mention anything but want to be ready when/if the kid figures out the scores are out. As for DH, I need to be able to quickly yet completely answer the question: “Well, is that a good score or not?”.

After further consideration, I’d say that the math score was pretty good, but the reading was 60 points lower which seems too lopsided even for my math-loving kid. At least we know where to focus the studying!

Next month AppleKid is taking the Pre-ACT at school and I’m considering a little test prep for that over winter break, just for the sake of providing some familiarity with the test. On the other hand, the kid took the PSAT cold, with no prep or practice whatsoever (we opted not to do the 7th grade testing), and perhaps it would be a better gauge of which test the kid is best suited for if the Pre-ACT was also taken cold. Any thoughts?

And in related standardized test fun, we’ve got to wait another week for the results of the Math 2 Subject Test. Talk about bah humbug!
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,557 Senior Member
    My two had big reading vs. math gaps too. 11th grader at home in public school - 70 points; 10th grader at boarding school - 50 points. Ironically, same reading score for both, although one kid took it on Wednesday and the other on Saturday.
    I think most of BS will go review the PSAT result with the students, areas to work on etc, saving us from the possible unpleasantry in the X-mas.