Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BS Class of 2020 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2020 Thread

• GoatMamaGoatMama Registered User Posts: 992 Member
    @AppleNotFar, I think that the "cold" approach is very informative provided parents (and some kids though not mine...sigh) can reign in their Type A personality. DD's SAT in 7th grade, her first SSAT, and now the PSAT were taken rolling-out-of-bed cold. It really helps see strengths and weaknesses.

As for the PSAT, there was a 40-point gap between reading/writing and math, but that's not surprising considering she didn't even finish the math section (didn't bring a calculator, asked to use someone else's, fidgeted with it, couldn't get it to work, realized she didn't really need it, oh well...). So the reading/writing score ended up being higher than the math score, which is not how she normally scores. I was surprised by the high reading/writing score though. Maybe there is some utility to BS education after all, contrary to smack talk?
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    I think that the "cold" approach is very informative provided parents ... can reign in their Type A personality.

@GoatMama *IF* I manage to control myself, think that could count as one of AppleKid's Christmas gifts??? :-?
  • GoatMamaGoatMama Registered User Posts: 992 Member
    All credit for breaking my Type A personality goes to GoatKid, who has fought me so hard on it I've thrown in the towel. Wanna do kid-swap for the holidays?? :D
  • RuralAmericaRuralAmerica Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    My DD improved quite a bit from last year to this year, so hopefully there is another jump next year as a Junior. She had a significant gap between sections as well, but that wasn’t surprising since she excels in Math. She’ll definitely be studying to improve the Reading!
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 539 Member
    I will have to wait until I talk to DS tonight. He is not sharing his password. lol
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue Registered User Posts: 497 Member
    Late to the standardized testing party as I've been in my own (final exams) testing vortex!

DD told me the 13th. Due to aforementioned
    yikes, strange, I really did have more to say. . . I will pick-up here. . .

Due to aforementioned &$#!* week, I'm relying on DD to forward her scores to me. LOL! School says they will be available on the 13th.

*Looked for a praying emoji but couldn't find one.
    BTW, Sculptor Day, I think you need to change your CC handle to something techie-oriented. Wow! Who knew?
    *Dad

Clearly time for me to go back to grading.
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad Registered User Posts: 2,314 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Nah. I am getting outdated in the techie game.
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 539 Member
    edited December 2017
    Spoke to DS...50 pt gap here!
    I think we will continue with our plan of a few tutoring sessions just for the reading and writing sections.
  • payn4wardpayn4ward Registered User Posts: 3,000 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    I have bought all those books above over the years, maybe twice, but they are nowhere to be found. :-/ I cannot even sell them back to Amazon unlike other AP prep books I sold.

DS2's scores decreased by 20 pts. It can be erratic for high scorers. NMS is overrated anyway. :)

My college freshman DS1 had a 100 pt gap between EBRW and Math.
    DS2 has a 20 pt gap but the other way around.
    I am attributing DS2's high EBRW scores to "Maybe there is some utility to BS education after all."