right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

BS Class of 2020 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2020 Thread

• CaliMexCaliMex 1821 replies34 threads Senior Member
    Academics aside, I would not be in a hurry to send a 16 or 17 year old to a college full of 18-24 year old men ;-)

I am not familiar with Grier, but at some of the boarding schools, like SAS and Thacher, senior students play important leadership roles in the community and it feels like an important capstone year that rounds out the whole experience. Sounds like that's less the case at Grier?
    · Reply · Share
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad 2265 replies66 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    @Calimex,

I am not in a hurry. I am trying to carefully figure out how should I support her needs the best way. I feel confident about her being with older male students, for everyone's safety and benefit, and will leave it at that.

I have learned that seniors play important roles at Grier too. Let's not make too many assumptions. Missing senior year experience will be part of the price she pay, along with chance to apply for more prestigious and possibly better schools with more scholarship. We are not considering this lightly.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue 578 replies13 threads Member
    Well, @GoatMama, between two internships, ACT prep, SAT subject test prep, friends, and having two cars and three other drivers in the house, there hasn't been a lot of opportunity/motivation! We have to do 10 hours of teacher behind the wheel + 50 hours of parent time in this state.

WHY CAN'T THINGS BE EASY LIKE THE OLD DAYS?!?

^^^ also a direct reference to college admissions process old days. Remember 3-5 schools applied to, one SAT, and you're done??? :)
    · Reply · Share
    @sculptordad --one of my kids left HS after sophomore year and went to Community College. Is finishing up six months early and moving on to what our family is calling a Gap year program of sorts in the Arts. We felt that said kiddo needs the additional gift of this extra year before heading onto a BFA program. Don't know if that helps. I seem to remember that your DD has already completed CC at something crazy like age 13!
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 2018
    @itcannotbetrue I have recommended taking a gap year after graduating from Grier for full 4 years. I have heard so many good things about taking a gap year. But I have learned that parenting is supporting and not controlling. She has over 60 CC units that hopefully will increase her admission chance and getting adjusted to early college entrance.

After some ups and downs in her 9th grade, 10th grade at Grier was blissful. Workload was manageable and grade was perfect. Friendship was as hoped and she was respected by teachers and classmates. I wasn't even thinking about her most of the year, and seldom visited college confidential or facebook. I only learned that she started dance seriously until she came home for the Summer!

Her junior year is also hopeful. Her roommate will be her next best friend. Her class choices mostly excite her. She is hoping to move up to intermediate dance team which is not pre-professional but still amazing considering Grier's renowned dance program... Yet she claimed that she is emotionally ready and wants to explorer beyond introductory level science research in one year rather than two. She connects her more closely to rising seniors and feel that it would be a good time to move up too when they do next Summer.

It's not the first time that she considered it. But up until recently, she always concluded that she would rather just complete another year after already spending 3 years at Grier. But now that Grier is completely comfortable for her, ironically, she feels even more willing to move on next Summer. For her, junior year might give good enough paramount of her BS experience.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • payn4wardpayn4ward 3179 replies13 threads Senior Member
    I would say why not. @SculptorDad I think it is important for her to meet with her advisor and Guidance Counselor very soon so that they can support her application. We were not assigned the College Counselor until January of Junior year. If it is the case with Grier, she would need to have a GC assigned for her so that GC can submit the school transcript, profile, and teacher recommendation through naviance, common app, or other systems.

· Reply · Share
    @payn4ward Thanks. I am supporting her application. She will talk to her counselor as soon as she returns back to her school.
    · Reply · Share
    Update; She applied to Colorado School of Mines last month. And after an exhaustive research, I came to conclusion that this is really best for her. We are likely to receive the decision by end of this month, and if she is admitted, we are ready to commit.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliMexCaliMex 1821 replies34 threads Senior Member
    What is she interested in studying, @SculptorDad?
    · Reply · Share
  • vegas1vegas1 573 replies2 threads Member
    @SculptorDad our oldest son will graduate in May from Mines. PM me if you want to discuss our experience.
    · Reply · Share
    CS, Physics, or Stat.
    · Reply · Share
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma 701 replies8 threads Member
    Wow @SculptorDad ! Congratulations to your DD!
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21423 replies224 threads Senior Member
    Congrats, @SculptorDad. Is she planning to pursue her art in any fashion going forward?
    · Reply · Share
  • payn4wardpayn4ward 3179 replies13 threads Senior Member
    Congratulations @SculptorDad !
    I’m not sure about the need based aid, Mines being a public school, but I heard there is a highly competitive scholarship. Hope it all works out.
    Great school in a great town!
    · Reply · Share
    I am guessing only a small amount in need award in addition to $14k set merit aid. Our backup plan is moving to CO, which will give us low instate tuition plus adjusted $5k merit. We are visiting CO next month for a week, which is the second visit for dd. It will work out one way or another. Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
    I love this-- So true--even for us parents in this day and age. Thank you @GoatMama for posting!
    · Reply · Share
  • Mama ParadoxMama Paradox 237 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I enjoyed reading your post.@GoatMama
    · Reply · Share