Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

BS Class of 2020 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2020 Thread

• carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 528 Member
    @itcannotbetrue That is very helpful - like 90 pdf pages of helpful! Thanks!
  • GMC2918GMC2918 Registered User Posts: 912 Member
    Thanks @itcannotbetrue!!! Neither of my kids test well, so starting early and having that piece planned out will (hopefully) minimize anxiety.
  • GoatMamaGoatMama Registered User Posts: 969 Member
    Another thank you to @itcannotbetrue! We're in the same boat as @AppleNotFar, having to start the process earlier because of hopes to play the sport at the collegiate level.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 35,157 Super Moderator
    Compass Test Prep has a downloadable PDF all about testing, with a fantastic grid on which colleges are looking for what type/how many SAT Subject tests, reporting, etc.
    Please note that, unlike the rest of academia, which seems to evolve at glacial speed, requirements for college admissions tend to change with every application cycle at some colleges. So while secondary sources, like the above, are a good starting point, you should verify that the information is current via each target college's website/admissions office.
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    Yes, agreed @skieurope. I do believe they update it yearly.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 35,157 Super Moderator
    I do believe they update it yearly.
    Probably. But not always up-to-the-minute. Again, it's always better to verify with the source.
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 528 Member
    I liked it for the timing suggestions. :)
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    I thought it odd to receive an email today about an info session location change from a college we’re visiting soon that didn’t blind copy the recipients. Based on just the email addresses I saw there’s at least 7 other boarding schools that will have a visitor on the day we go. Makes me kind of wish that AppleKid’s “college-only” email wasn’t quite so revealing!
  • payn4wardpayn4ward Registered User Posts: 2,973 Senior Member
    Well, you should write back to the college about the gaffe.
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney Registered User Posts: 662 Member
    When touring with my oldest, there were certain days when it seemed half the visitors were boarding school kids and it was summer. At Bates I think? Went around room and said where you were in school and the majority were NYC privates and boarding school.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,389 Senior Member
    That doesn't surprise me as half their matriculated class comes from private schools. 52% public 48% private
    https://www.bates.edu/admission/student-profile/
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,242 Senior Member
    When touring with my oldest, there were certain days when it seemed half the visitors were boarding school kids and it was summer.

It's also because of logistics. Most public school kids can arrange their college trips for fall long weekends. it can be hard to do fall weekend visits from prep schools because

1. Many boarding schools don't do long weekends or days off for the fall religious holidays.
    2. Many families don't live near enough to scoop up their kids for a weekend trip.
    3. By senior year most kids at both boarding and day schools have Saturday games.
    4. Some boarding schools have Saturday classes.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,389 Senior Member
    But that 3 week spring break sure came in handy for college visits! Now, that's when we definitely bumped into a lot of other BS kids on the rounds. Some visits were like old home days.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,242 Senior Member
    We too saw tons of kids from prep schools during March break. We all seemed to be on the same tour and by the third school at which we'd seen the same families we began to compare notes. I think a lot of the boarding school kids on summer visits are either doing a second pass or are kids who didn't have a clear idea of what they wanted when they did their initial spring break trips.

We had a kid at a day school who did two separate trips during the fall of senior year. The most we could do with boarding school kid was a local hotel conference room interview with a school she'd visited but not interviewed at in the spring. Saturday classes and sports made it near impossible to take off for the weekend. Some families do skip part or all of parent's weekend, when kids tend to have a Monday off.
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    (Good GAWD, I just posted this on THE WAIT LIST thread. Need caffeine).

On a completely separate note, I am back from our school's College Information Weekend (YES. Many 2020 families attended "early" in a communal attempt to stay five paces ahead of our children). DC has stated that after taking the practice ACT that our school offers in the Spring, she would like to take the SAT or the ACT this Summer. Thoughts regarding prepping taking standardized tests the summer after Sophomore year vs. the traditional summer after Junior year? Pre-calc will be done by this summer. Thanks in advance for any feedback, especially from those of you who have gone through the college admissions process.