Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BS Class of 2020 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2020 Thread

• RuralAmericaRuralAmerica Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    @ChoatieMom Yes, she is applying to West Point. We PM’d about it a few months back.

@AppleNotFar From what she’s researched, the Naval Academy doesn’t offer the major she wants to study though. West Point and the Air Force Academy do, but she would prefer to attend West Point.

No matter though, it would definitely be a reach school for her with their low admission rate.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 5,147 Senior Member
    Sorry, @RuralAmerica, I forgot. :(
    @ChoatieMom that’s ok! I would think you have a lot of members that PM you with various questions. I’m not super excited for her to attend a service academy, but I’m not going to stand in the way either.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 5,147 Senior Member
    I’m not super excited for her to attend a service academy, but I’m not going to stand in the way either.

That's about all you can do. If she's 18 by the time appointments come out, you'll have no say anyway. It's their life, but the military is such a hard row to hoe and the academies are NOT ANYthing like a normal college experience. It takes a certain kind of kid... I didn't think mine was one of those.

Anyway, I went back and reviewed our chat. I said everything I had to say there, but I'm always willing to talk about this road with anyone facing it. Best of luck.
    @ChoatieMom Your advice in our chat was amazing and definitely opened my eyes to things, but like you said, it’s really up to them when it comes down it. We are definitely looking at other college paths too though, so that is helping me!
  • AppleNotFarAppleNotFar Registered User Posts: 1,046 Senior Member
    Reading about the BS and college decisions here is freaking me out about being at the halfway point! For many of us, two years ago our kiddos were making big decisions for high school, and for most of us, in two years they’ll be making big decisions about college. How did we get here?? Even with AppleKid away at school, I can’t begin to wrap my brain around the idea of the kid going away (again!) to college. :-O =((
  • GoatMamaGoatMama Registered User Posts: 1,123 Senior Member
    I'm taking GK to see a couple of colleges during mid-spring recess at the end of April. Any kids taking SAT subject tests in May or June?
  • payn4wardpayn4ward Registered User Posts: 3,155 Senior Member
    P4K '19 is taking Chem test in June. Hopefully, he improves last May's scores.
    He took Math 2 last June and got an 800.
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue Registered User Posts: 515 Member
    DD is taking Chem and Math II for SAT subject tests. and depending on pre-ACT results, prepping for and taking the ACT or SAT this Summer. She took Physics subject test last May. Hoping for @payn4ward ‘s son’s 800!

Agreed with @AppleNotFar —it seems like she was prepping for the SSAT just yesterday! ;)
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad Registered User Posts: 2,328 Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    DD is planning to take Math II this Summer, but she is flying back home Friday and I am not sure if taking it the following day is a good idea. For me, taking August test before school starts sounds better, because math skills will only improve over time and is not short term memory based.

On the other hand, she plans to take World History and Biology next year, and the June SAT II test for those would be better so that she can take them while her memory is fresh.
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 625 Member
    DS is taking the MathII in May.
    He is taking the Bio Subject test in August because May is in the middle of Bio AP test prep and he will be away for the June test.
    We haven't decided on the best date for the first SAT or ACT test.
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad Registered User Posts: 2,328 Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    DD took her first SAT (had a specific need) & PSAT (school required) last year. She will get her second PSAT (school required and for NMS) this Fall. I don't think she will need another SAT except one on Summer after Junior year, which will hopefully be her last.

Because both English and Math skills for SAT will improve naturally over time, I don't think it's a good idea to take it earlier and get it done, except for those exceptional students who can get near perfect scores in earlier years.
    DD is taking SAT Math 2 and Chem subject tests in June and SAT French with listening subject test in November. She'll take her first SAT in August to have a score for college athletic recruitment, but she'll take it at least a couple of times later on as well. This summer, she'll take a bio class locally so she can test out of regular bio and enroll in Advanced Bio for junior year (and take the SAT Bio subject test in June of junior year).
  • MA2012MA2012 Registered User Posts: 1,213 Senior Member
    DS is taking SAT Chem in June. He took Math 2 last year.