Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

BS Class of 2019 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2019 Thread

• ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 3,727 Senior Member
    I've never had access to any of our son's e-mail accounts, so I have no idea what his college spam level was, but I can tell you that as soon as the snail mail started arriving, it was a different story. At first, I just put the flyers on the desk in his room until he came home for break. Then, I got a folder. Then a box. Eventually, I realized what I really needed was a garbage can, and there it all went. So many trees... (I'm looking at YOU, U of Chicago!)
  • soxmomsoxmom Registered User Posts: 667 Member
    All unsolicited snail mail from colleges goes directly into the recycling bin. Not that D'19 has received any yet, but S'17 has received enough to last us all a lifetime.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 28,926 Super Moderator
    I've never had access to any of our son's e-mail accounts, so I have no idea what his college spam level was,
    FWIW, I set up an email account, on the advice of those who went through the process, for the sole purpose of college admissions. I was told that I did not want my school email or personal email clogged up with crap at the expense of missing an important email. That was really good advice. The amount of spam email was through the roof.

And yeah, I concur with @ChoatieMom ; UChicago won the award for volume of snail mail. Too bad they weren't even under consideration.
  • payn4wardpayn4ward Registered User Posts: 2,846 Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    Ditto on the UChicago. Personalized postcards and all. Never considered by S1.

12 more college emails. Got GW, Oberlin, RIT, RPI, Swarthmore and Harvard summer school. All in Trash. Oh, kept RIT, RPI.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 3,320 Senior Member
    Yes, Chicago did in a large woods. WUSTL a forest.
  • MA2012MA2012 Registered User Posts: 900 Member
    Case Western has sent a lot of paper (it might have been after he signed up/visited) but has continued after he's been accepted. Mostly postcard type. Miami University has sent a lot unsolicited. RIT too. More in senior year - several after NMSF was announced. These are thicker packets from schools with big NMF money (Alabama, UCF, UT Dallas, etc) talking about their programs.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 922 Member
    The problem I have with it like @skieurope indicated above is that at the rate they're coming in my son is certain to miss important school emails. They must have had the students simply use their school account.
    edited January 2017
    @MAandMEmom It is not too late to create a separate email and change the email on the student's CollegeBoard account. Future spams after more standardized testing will go to that separate email address. Sign up for tours and visits to colleges with that new email address.
    Awesome idea thank you @payn4ward !
    My son's account has received 46 emails so far and many of the colleges are pretty persistent!
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 3,727 Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    ...many of the colleges are pretty persistent!

Many of the colleges automated spam programs are pretty persistent. ;)
    edited January 2017
    I am guessing the colleges outsourced their spam operation or purchased a suite of best-practice on-line-recruiting news-company-ranking-boosting toolbox. The spam emails look similar.
    DS's emails could be compiled into a book of Top 100 spamming colleges.
  • infinityprep1234infinityprep1234 Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    Longtime lurker, finally joining. I have also a kid in BS who will graduate in 2019. This process is new to us and we have no idea how the college system works in USA.
  • GoatMamaGoatMama Registered User Posts: 813 Member
    edited January 2017
    Got a brochure from Colgate in today's mail. Huh?? Kid is just a freshmen! Plus, I still have all the BS spam scattered around.

She hasn't taken any tests yet, so it must be through the athletic recruitment that our home address has ended up in some database? The least they could do is send a complimentary 13-gallon tall kitchen bag... Ugh.