Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

BS Class of 2021 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2021 Thread

• sadieshadowsadieshadow Registered User Posts: 261 Junior Member
    Just woke up with a start and realized . . I don't know what the appropriate tradition is re. holiday gifts at my son's school. From where my kids grew up, I am accustomed to getting letters from the school making explicit that no gifts are allowed although we are always welcomed to make cards. This year, with my son finishing the first half of the year at Berkshire, I could not ever be more grateful to the entire community. (I have said so much in writing to many). If I figure out something today who would I include . . house parents? teachers? or advisors? and then there are coaches . . and the nurses and the librarian. . What do other people think?
  • buuzn03buuzn03 Registered User Posts: 981 Member
    @sadieshadow I was thinking the same thing! I didn’t know if I should order something and have DS hand out or send things back with him after break? We are very grateful for everyone there and definitely want to show our appreciation!!!
  • sadieshadowsadieshadow Registered User Posts: 261 Junior Member
    Well . .I just thought about it and I called the student mail office. They said it is fine if I send one box with individual names/cards and they will distribute as it were inter office mail. I know my son doesn't need one more thing to remember during exam week. I am thinking of advisor, dorm parents, coaches? I think the main point is the card. We all like to know we are appreciated.
    Hmmm. Didn't think about that....I'm not sure I could do that and it get to the school on time. :-?
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney Registered User Posts: 579 Member
    We kept it simple and sent Chimneykid back to school with fresh bagels for the dorm parents and RAs and sent cards with a little candy for advisors, coaches etc. Chimneykid enjoyed handing them out.
    i ended up ordering candies/snacks from a local confectionery here in our remote Tx town. Luckily. They have a website and provide express shipping (even priority take 4 days from here..). Hopefully, it will give them a taste of Texas. More hopeful that DS hands them out to everyone. :-SS
    Aaaaagh!!! Local confectioner called last night (why they waited three days, I’ll never know) and said there’s no way they can get shipping in less than a week...what?!?! I paid over $70 for express shipping! I canceled that order. It looks like I’ll be doing what @sadieshadow is doing and I’ll mail it myself priority, which will get it there Thursday.
    edited December 2017
    I hope everyone has their kiddos home for a great holiday! I know our house seems complete again, with DS filling it with his antics and dry humor. I love having him around! I also wanted to send a shoutout to @nico.campbell and @Atria to see how the first half of their school year went! I'm sure I speak for others when I say we miss seeing you on CC, but are glad you are focused on your studies! Merry Christmas, class of 2021 families! Enjoy!
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 809 Member
    I'd love to hear from those two also! :) Happy holidays to all!
  • CTMom21CTMom21 Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    Merry Christmas everyone! DS has been home a week as of this afternoon, and I feel like I've hardly seen him due to working late every night. But he is definitely leaving his mark in the form of doubling the laundry volume and eating all the food :-) (Definitely getting our money's worth in the dining hall and the laundry plan.) We are looking forward to our family time over Christmas and being a little more relaxed next week. I hope everyone all the parents and kids enjoy the break!
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 3,548 Senior Member
    @Atria , glad you're happy. And thanks for checking in - we missed you!
    So glad, @Atria !! I bet mom (& little sister) was glad to have you home!!!! DS went back yesterday...we all flew out on same flight, then said goodbye at first layover while the family headed to WDW marathon weekend. DS was entered, but that was before M10...whoops....he was a little bummed he had to miss out on the race fun at Disney. Happy New Year to everyone! Hope you enjoyed time with DKs!!!!
  • CTMom21CTMom21 Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    In case anyone's wondering, it's a true blizzard in CT/MA today, and the only kids going to school today are boarding school kids. All the public and day schools and even colleges in CT are closed today (and many offices). And, the temps are in the 20s today, which is the warmest it's been in over a week. (Around 0 this weekend.) This is to make up for the warm weather in October.
    SMS canceled classes today. DS is making up for lost sleep in his room today. Be safe everyone!!!