Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

BS Class of 2021 Thread

Replies to: BS Class of 2021 Thread

• momof3swimmersmomof3swimmers Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    Even PEA, who is notorious for not canceling, canceled today. It was their first day back and a lot of kids never made it back to campus. Of course the teachers handed out snow day assignments
  • queenmotherqueenmother Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    My kid’s school cancelled classes today too.
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 459 Member
    Classes weren't cancelled here, though day students who didn't stay over in the dorms were excused. Our public schools and local colleges were all closed.
  • Nico.campbellNico.campbell Registered User Posts: 724 Member
    Choate didn’t cancel classes, although a lot of kids couldn’t fly in... it’s gonna be a rough Monday.
  • GMC2918GMC2918 Registered User Posts: 835 Member
    Well... classes at Cate were cancelled today & tomorrow due to mudslides!
  • CaliMexCaliMex Registered User Posts: 772 Member
    I wonder if the fire and now mudslides will affect applications to Cate and Thacher. Will fewer kids apply?
  • buuzn03buuzn03 Registered User Posts: 976 Member
    Oh my...California can't catch a break! X_X
    edited January 9
  • ThacherParentThacherParent Registered User Posts: 821 Member
    edited January 9
    I don't think the fires or slides will have any effect at all on Thacher. The Thomas fire will have made the school safer for years to come and the mudslides have not (have never) impinged on the campus. In my recollection, the last major mudslides affecting Ojai were back around 2006 or 2007. I remember the Thacher students engaged in a lot of community service to help clean and protect the houses of the older residents of the community.
    It certainly hasn’t diminished our interest! If anything, we are impressed with how well Thacher responded to the fires and communicated with stakeholders. We were hoping it might discourage others since we know the odds of admission for a candidate that needs FA are really low, @ThacherParent
  • CaliPopsCaliPops Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    Anyone know whether academic counselors discuss with, or make recommendations to, students about taking SAT subject tests? I assumed they would have those discussions, but it's nothing more than an assumption on my part. Although we're trying to be hands-off where we can, we don't want to be too clueless either.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 3,533 Senior Member
    IME, students and parents were provided with general guidelines and timetables several times as far as subject tests went, but it was really up to the family to develop a strategy and timetable that worked. While our school has taken steps to remedy this since DS was there, there were often disconnects between academic advisors and college counselors until junior year. So I would reach out the academic advisor and see how much college counseling he/she is doing when it comes to test schedules, etc.so that you can be involved appropriately.

We never wanted to be "those parents", so I get where you are coming from,,btw...
    We received an email from the school apprising us that a relatively large number of kids have gotten sick with the flu, strep throat, or a serious cold, and my wife had a moment--the first one I've seen--where she wanted to fly out to make sure our child was doing everything possible to not get sick.
  • buuzn03buuzn03 Registered User Posts: 976 Member
    @CaliPops DS told us kids were sneaking out of the health center with flu to go to class. I'm like...don't breathe their air!!! He then pulled out his Lysol, purell and ski neck warmer (Shaun White style) to show me how he's been going to class. 8-|