Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Private High Schools in New Jersey

Replies to: Private High Schools in New Jersey

• sadler6sadler6 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    It is my understanding that MBS has multiple humanitarian and academic study abroad trips throughout the year in Asia, Africa, South America and Europe as well as the opportunity to study abroad for a year if you so choose. I would not be interested in the year abroad in high school for my son but all of the other short-term opportunities seem really great. I am going to look in to the IB Program at NA. I am not very familiar with it.
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
    Yes, look into IB - both in general - and NA. It is very highly regarded...but some parents/students/educators like it and some don't.
  • ArdenNJArdenNJ Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    Hi @sadler6

We are also looking at New Jersey privates and recently I just looked at the NJ Private college matruculation versus some top Boarding Schools. I didn't look at Delbarton as it is too religious for our taste. Here is how Pingry and Newark Academy compares to Philips Andover and Philips Exeter.

http://i65.****.com/qrhhdg.jpg
    Edit: Looks like link isn't working. Instead of **** please type in **** on your browser
  • BlazingSaddlesBlazingSaddles Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Pingry Parent of two kids (one graduated, one still in). Opinion may be biased :)

Academic curriculum is wide, you can choose to take hard courses or cruise thru easy ones. Depends on what ur kid choses to do.

Sports wise, school is big into it. Kids playing Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Fencing are regularly recruited at top schools. They just built a mega complex.

Low school spirit ? - You will get different opinion from different students. My one kid thinks Pingry is a good school, and other does not think so highly. So, it’s up to you as a parent to make the decision, what’s best for ur kid.

Ivy Feeder - This is a misnomer. As @wisteria100 mentioned, if you take out legacy, athletic recruits, URMs, field is pretty small. All in all, school sends over 25-29% (based on last 10+yrs of data) to Ivy or Ivy equivalent (Stanford/MIT/UChicago/Duke/Georgetown).

Abroad trips - School does have “save the world/cultural immersion/sports related”. It’s up to you to participate. In my experience, it’s a great opportunity for kids to get a glimpse of different side of the world.

Areas that need improvement - STEM is weak, College counseling could use some boost.

Final thought - Would i do it all over again? I think so. It’s well worth the money. Kids are more confident, well rounded and prepared for college.

Best of luck with your search. IM me if you need further details.
  • kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 3,378 Senior Member
    25-29% is huge - even with hooked applicants. Not many schools have that kind of number.
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
    It is huge...but she is including Georgetown (known to take kids from many prep/private schools), Duke, and other second-tier schools. Great schools, but what is real Ivy number? And I think many of the Ivy are athletes, just as in other prep schools.
  • BlazingSaddlesBlazingSaddles Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Last ten years, Pingry sent 22% to Ivys. Best year 2010 with 26% and worse in 2008 with 17%.
    Yes, I agree that Pingry does great with the ivies. OK. A little more that I have been thinking. The issue is that the campus is not great in comparison to Delbarton, Morristown-Beard or Newark Academy. Families say that focus is very academic and not great in school spirit and kids are very competitive and not very friendly. Looking for overall experience....solid academics, solid athletic program, strong school spirit which will run in to good, long-term friendships. I believe my son will excel academically in any environment and as a result will secure a place in a top university (full disclosure both mom and dad are ivy grads). He is straight A's and strong athlete. He is respectful, kind, sociable and happy. I want to maintain his positive outlook in an inclusive, academic and diverse environment. I want my son to have a full, challenging and positive high school experience before he heads off to college. He is a very strong student so I do want him at a place to support him and be able to help him achieve his goals. The ivy aspect of Pingry is incredibly enticing but I am thinking I want more for him than a pressure cooker environment. We have kept our ears open for the last couple of years, more in depth since September and seriously looking since February. We will start apps in September. Stuck on reps but have been discovering so much more about each school. If I knew nothing and just went to the schools, it would be either Delbarton or Morristown-Beard. Knowing the situation at Delbarton, I would replace with Newark Academy and Morristown-Beard. ....but Pingry has such a great academic rep and that is hard to pass up as a parent. Going back and forth a lot right now. This has been extremely helpful in getting other points of view other than those from our work, town and friends. I have been to each campus and discussed each school in detail. I will have my son go to the open houses this spring/summer. Once I get his feedback I will know how to better proceed. He is open to all and is looking forward to visiting each school.
    BTW - when I said that mom and dad are ivy grads, it should be noted that we both went to public high school. We like private school education and think it will be helpful in the college process but know that ultimately, it will be our son and his success in academics, athletics and in the arts that will help him to achieve his goals. He will need to work hard and be active and be a leader among his friends.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 4,114 Senior Member
    Have you considered Peddie?
    No. We have not considered Peddie. Too far away from our home.
    @sadler6

I love your enthusiasm but I would first try to get my kid get accepted into those schools before I asked all these questions,.

Last year, I was confident my twin boys would get in both Pingry and Newark Academy as 6th graders but they couldn't. They failed getting in. Just FYI, my wife and I are expats from a European Union Country and we finished the Harvard of our country. My wife also has a Columbia University masters degree. And our kids failed to get into both Newark Academy and Pingry.

I would first try to get my kid into those schools and then worry about all the things you mention. Don't get caught up in the excitement just yet. First, make sure your kid gets accepted by those great schools. Just my 2 cents.
    Hi - I understand and agree. Unfortunately, I think that in your case the expat issue may have hurt the twins chances. It is my understanding that expats are not looked upon favorably. Even though relocations often occur, if you are an expat the chances are exponential and selective day schools often do not want to risk a spot (or two in your case) only to have to have them leave midway through school due to a parents reassignment and leave a financial and #'s gap in a class for a non-entrance year. College is different since the experience is seen favorably but that is not the case for a non-boarding day school.
    So, I have a little more info. Delbarton and Morristown-Beard both just recently had an Open House. Both schools have very beautiful, yet completely different campuses. Delbarton is older and very collegial . MBS is bright and new with the most updated capabilities provided to the students. MBS was very impressive, including their faculty of which the fast facts noted 71% maintain advanced degrees and 19% maintain PhD's (I thought this was an impressive fact). Also, on the global studies program that I previously mentioned and was under the impression, MBS has a very broad program and allows students to travel to various countries for both humanitarian and academic purposes. At MBS, the global studies program starts in the middle school. Delbarton really stresses the "brotherhood" . The young men represent well. MBS focused on all that they can provide to your child on an academic, performing arts, athletic and social basis. The new math/science buidling that MBS is going to open in September, if true to what they are saying, is going to be a big differentiator. Incredibly impressive. Much different than original perception going in to both schools. Looking forward to doing another visit to both in September. Newark Academy does not have any info session/open houses at this time or in the next couple of months so looks like September is going to be a busy month! Pingry has a info session on May 12th and 18th.