Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Private High Schools in New Jersey

Replies to: Private High Schools in New Jersey

• Nocreativity1Nocreativity1 Registered User Posts: 841 Member
    edited May 2018
    State Championships, head to head games and National Rankings are what they are. If you don't believe these to be accurate measures I will stand down (although that is why they keep score).

If you can name a school that has as much athletic success as Delbarton across as many sports with so few students I will gladly stand corrected. NJ.com couldn't when they named Delbarton as the top athletic school in the state.
    For the record they are currently the lacrosse, soccer, baseball and hockey state champions (with several sports having state wide tournament of champions).

I also said this mix of athletics and academics might not be the best option for all students. That other mixes, environments might yield better results based on the individual student. Context matters and my point was each school is unique and has its strengths that may lend themselves to the individual needs of an individual student.

• sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 1,201 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    Right...LOL...Delbarton is great for athletics and is a BOYS school. I believe most kids going to Ivies or Duke from Delbarton play sports. Duke is known for taking Duke LAX players, for example. Let me check...
    Yep, 3 on Dukes LAX roster are from Delbarton: http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=2027&SPSID=25941

It's also rumored that Delbarton has increased class size over the past few years and relaxed criteria a bit. Nothing wrong with that, just saying it is known.

They are all good schools. But there are clear differences in their focuses, evident on their websites and in their school profiles.
    Sunnyschool Not sure why the passive aggression? I have not said a single negative word about another school yet you seem compelled to attack both Delbarton and in this last post by inference my son.

Your presumption that "most kids going to Ivies or Duke from Delbarton" are admitted based on athletics is incorrect. Of the 22-23 this year I know of 5 that are recruited athletes. Not to identify my own son in response to your comment but he is an athlete but not recruited to play college athletics. He got in based on the entirety of who he is. Again other schools may be "better" but please don't diminish the achievements of Delbarton kids, it's beneath you.
    edited May 2018
    These 50 private high schools are the best for athletes in New Jersey, report says
    Posted February 06, 2018 at 07:20 AM | Updated February 06, 2018 at 05:22 PM

http://www.nj.com/hssn-mms/2018/02/these_50_private_high_schools.html#incart_river_home
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,693 Senior Member
    My kids didn't play sports, but they had one major EC they were close being professions. They did the EC outside of school. I also know many students from my kid's school who were admitted to Ivies and top 20 schools were athletic recruits and most of them did their sports outside of school (club level?). Therefore I am not sure if I would necessary choose a school because of sports.
    Oldfort- couldn't agree with you more. Exactly the point I was making. Different kids will thrive or benefit from different environments.

Sunnyschool- thanks for proving my point. The ranking you showed is a survey that has Delbarton number two with MB at one. I am sure you took note of the fact that the greatest determinant was parent and student input. Stated differently the kids and parents at Delbarton still love their athletic program while being the most successful based upon championships. If you dig a little deeper that ranking is in there as well. Not even the most fervent MB supporter would suggest they compete with Delbarton.
    Here it is. That was last year but this year won both State hockey and soccer championships and ranked number one at lacrosse.

http://www.nj.com/hssn-mms/2017/06/njcoms_completely_subjective_t.html
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,304 Senior Member
    Wait, so now Delbarton isn't the best? I'm confused.
    edited May 2018
    SevenDad- one last try. Never said Delbarton was "the best" school. If you read the entire thread you will see my comments were in response to the assertion that Pingry was "the best" and "the benchmark" for all NJ private schools. I have repeatedly said that all the schools have their niche which will serve individual kids.

I have defined Delbarton's niche as a strong academic school that has the preeminent sports program in the state. This opinion is evidenced by both surveys above and the numerous championships mentioned. If you have a HS that you think is better athletically name it please.

This shouldn't be so controversial.
    edited May 2018
    I'm only marginally interested in this topic, but seeing NJ in the title caught my eye. I admit to not having even read the thread from start to finish.

However, I do find it amusing that you contend that you are not trying to say Delbarton is "the best" despite having also written this: "No school in NJ can match the combination of national level athletics and great academics Delbarton has."

If no school can match it, then how is that different than saying it's the best?

IMO, in reading your posts here, you come off as overly defensive of Delbarton. We're all cheerleaders for the schools we love, but...

When I get some time, I promise to read the thread from start to finish.
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for your admittedly uninformed comments.
    I do my best.
    Careful with the term "best" it triggers some folks.
    Yes, so I've read.
    edited May 2018
    Right..,Delbarton is strong in sports, no one is saying they aren't. Regarding college admissions, I am not just talking about recruited athletes...I am including all who leave HS and play sports in college, and who are "admitted based on their entirety" -- such as D3 athletes and Ivy admits based on the big picture of sports/academics.

Per the data, Pingry's academics look to be stronger based on National Merit Semifinalists, college matriculation, AP exam scores (which DB doesn't publish like all other schools do, hmm...), etc. The college profile form is very skimpy compared to the other schools.

Does Delbarton recruit for sports / admit based on ability to contribute in sports? And things ebb and flow....pretty sure your baseball team is dropping in rankings with each game this year after getting beat by several public schools that were unranked.