Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Private High Schools in New Jersey

Replies to: Private High Schools in New Jersey

• gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,912 Senior Member
    For an athletic boy, especially one who might coast on his bmoc laurels at his lps, Del Barton could be an inspired choice as the value in being a scholar athlete will be reinforced by the school and the other students.

I am not a fan of picking schools by college matriculation lists and scores. There is just too much that could influence both that may not be part of your story. If you have a kid that has a shot at a top college, none of these schools will change that. But they might change how he feels about learning and more important, himself. High school is a time of enormous growth, not an extended admissions test for college. Try to help your kid find the place where he can be his best self.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,691 Senior Member
    When I chose schools for my kids (yes, college too), I focused on what’s important about a school, and for me it was education. My kids could do their ECs outside of school and all other fluffs outside of school. Kids give up their sports and ECs for whatever reason, but the mission of school is academic excellence. If I am paying 40k a year for school then I would want the best education possible. I didn’t need the school to make my kids to feel warm and fuzzy (I could do that). I didnt need the school to have the best EC program my kids were interested in, I could pay for it outside of the school.
    Look at those private schools profiles. The differences are significant. NJ has some of best public school systems. If those private schools do not have have better profile than your public school then why pay for it. My kids went to a private NJ. They benefited greatly from the education they received. It was probably better than their college education.
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,302 Senior Member
    @Nocreativity1: Okay, so I read this from start to finish and still maintain that you have been inordinately defensive of Delbarton and prone to the same "My school is best" rhetoric that you are dismissing in others.

I'm sure you'll assert that I'm "regrettably uninformed" and while I admit to not having much interest in ANY of the schools mentioned in this thread, you might be the only one on the Prep School Admissions sub-forum who would call me "regrettably uninformed" about prep schools in NJ and beyond.

From YOUR 4/1/18 post #55:
    "Delbarton remains as described. The best of the best at everything they set out to do. 20+ ivy admissions plus Duke, MIT, Williams, Amherst, etc...

The school produces young men incredibly committed to one another as brothers, academic excellence, serving their communities, and being the best athletic program in the state. I am a proud father of a senior who works tirelessly to live to the amazing standard this school sets.

Anyone who suggests otherwise is regrettably uninformed or wishful in their criticism."

Not leaving much room for disagreement with that post, right? THE BEST OF THE BEST AT EVERYTHING!!!! Was the date of your post intentional?

Because in post #63, you state:
    "I only respond because you are making declarative statements such as 'Pingry they are the benchmark'."

So only you are allowed to make declarative statements about a school's excellence?
  • Nocreativity1Nocreativity1 Registered User Posts: 839 Member
    edited May 2018
    Ok you win, enjoy.
    edited May 2018
    Given your knowledge of NJ preps are there any others that have a top 5 athletic program, top 10 academic (to be generous), top 10 exclusivity of college placement, and are either Catholic faith based or as service to community oriented as a school like Delbarton.

When I say best of the best those were the criteria I was describing and readily accept that others schools may share that niche. I just can't think of any.

Noting of course again, that others may have students that flourish in a different type of school.

Am I correct to assume you have first hand knowledge of Delbarton?

Thanks
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 1,201 Senior Member
    Sevendad is objective and has no skin in the game here.
    edited May 2018
    Sunnyschool why so defensive I didn't say he was biased. I just wanted him to share his knowledge around who would be Delbarton's peers. I had already yielded that he won the "there not the best of the best". So I want to know who is the best contrary to my assertion that there is no best.

You had previously referred to" rumores that Delbarton has increased class size over the past few years and relaxed criteria a bit"(#77). So I was hoping to rely on his first hand knowledge rather than your self described speculation.
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 1,201 Senior Member
    Not speculation...the fact is in your data you show 119 students, and the following year, according to the School Profile, there was 131 students.

Why so defensive anyway? Why do you need to prove Delbarton is "the best at everything"? IMO, no school is the best at everything and parents/students choose based on best fit, affordability, academics, sports, etc. Be thankful your family could afford a Delbarton education and use it to do good in the world.
    edited May 2018
    I don't see the part that suggests the relaxed criteria you mention so speculation. So who are the peer school's that have the balance across the criteria described?

Also I don't understand the relevance of "be thankful your family can afford"... Once again you are generallizing based on reputation and word of mouth.

I have affirmed that I was in error to say the "best at everything". I stand however by the statement that Delbarton is unique in NJ in its ability to combine athletics, academics and service at the top tier level it does.

I welcome the opportunity to hear about other schools that match or excell in this regard but I personally can't think of any. Please enlighten me.
    Please also consider this started not with me trying to "prove" anything but respond to "Pingry and NA both have very sharp hardworking students and student athletes. Delbarton is primarily a highly polished Catholic school for athletes" and numerous references to the sad history of sexual abuse that took place decades ago.

What I have expressed are my opinions and observations. Nothing more and nothing less.
  • kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 3,336 Senior Member
    Pingry also has had it own sex abuse scandal - just this week this was announced -
    The Pingry School and 21 victims of sexual abuse at the school have reached a settlement in their litigation involving both financial compensation and a commitment from Pingry to improve safety programs.
  • london203london203 Registered User Posts: 1,376 Senior Member
    Reminder to all involved: "Best" is relative. There is no absolute "best" in anything. No pun intended, but the best you can do is find the "best" for your own kid. We are talking about individuals, with differing goals/talents/challenges/personalities. If one school were "best" for all children, there would only be one school. As the internet maxim goes: YMMV. Just my .02.
    London203 i completely agree with you at the risk of previously not having conveyed that view. Well stated.
  • djv1222djv1222 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I would think most schools have a service and international/global perspective. I would object to the notion that one needs a Catholic or Religious school to have that exposure.
  • skrrtbrothersjrskrrtbrothersjr Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I don't know if this discussion is still relevant, but I am going to give my two cents as a student at one of these schools and a friend of at least one person at each.

So first Pingry:

Very Cutthroat environment, not for people without high stress and anxiety tolerance. They do a great job at getting kids into top colleges, but often at the expense of a holistic education that is intended to quench curiosity and edify the students. AP school so not that writing based, but a big emphasis on STEM (for those interested).
    The campus is okay, the building is kind of dreary and dark, and the fields are nothing to be too excited about.
    It is not as elitist as people say, but definitely more WASPy than like a Newark Academy. They definitely think they are the best their and that attitude guides the school. If that spirit is for you I suggest Pingry.
    Also, they have the most national merit scholars because they have more kids than some of these other schools. Per capita, probably not leading.
    A lot of athletics at Pingry, they are fairly competitive in some sports, like some of the more mainstream like football, lacrosse, but not like at Delbarton.

DelBarton has a good academic environment. Students there are fairly motivated, but not a huge STEM focus if that is your thing. Great for those interested in religion, history, and some of the more humanities based things, as they engage with some pretty fundamental texts that are being ignored elsewhere.
    The campus is huge and beautiful, there are separate buildings for the upper school unlike NA and Pingry, but they are all designed well.
    Also many great sports teams, much better than any of the other schools being considered here.

Newark Academy is definitely competitive like Pingry, but not as externally. People won't like undercut you, but they definitely want to do better than their peers. Regardless, there is no class rank or anything like that so you do not need to be that competitive. Plus, most classes do not curve. The IB program is pretty big at NA, though its importance and prevalence in the school is probably overstated. About 1/3 of every graduating class is composed of IB diploma candidates, but almost everyone takes at least 1 IB class at there time at NA. Some IB classes are definitely easier than others, like enviro.

There are still some AP offerings, especially for those who are advanced in STEM. The big ones are AB and BC Calc and AP Physics with Calc. The school also offers Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Non-Euclidean Geometry, and Number Theory. A few students reach the last three, but over a dozen of students per class reach DE and MVC, it's fairly common. That is because they offer 3/4 (a course that combines Precalc Algebra 2 and Trig into 1 year) and AB/BC as a one year course.

The school also allows students to move far ahead on language. So students will sometimes reach third semester or fourth semester college level. They definitely want students to be in a class that works for them.
    Students also have a lot of academic opportunities that are fairly unique. Seniors can propose and independent study in a topic of their choosing. Students can sign up for online classes with students from around the country like Hopkins in New Haven, and these classes have very different topics than what are covered in traditional classrooms. There are many other offerings that I'm sure you can find on the website.

Newark Academy also has a very strong arts program, especially in Jazz. The school placed 2nd in the country in Jazz this year, losing to a music school, and beating many music schools. It is the top school by a lot for schools not specifically intended for musicians.

So if you haven't figured it out I go to NA, so let's get back to the IB program. I completed the IB program and I really liked it. There was a huge writing focus, especially because of WAs IAs and the Extended Essay, which I really appreciated, especially because whatever field one goes into for their career, writing will be an essential component of it, because you need to communicate what you have done or what you need to do. The IB program also has TOK which was a really great class, and just epitomized for me the school's focus on learning for the sake of learning. However, IB isn't for everyone and that's definitely something to talk about to your advisor, the principal, your college counselors, etc. at the school. If you do not do IB you are at no disadvantage in the college process, because you can have just as much rigor through other means.

So there is a huge system of mentors and advisors for different aspects of your time at NA. So you will have two advisors in the Upper School (I also went to MS here and the system is different), one for 9 and 10 grades and one for 11 and 12. You can help choose your advisor for 11 and 12 grades. Also the principal is very engaged with the students. You have your sophomore meeting with him to help decide what classes you should be taking 11 and 12 grade, if you should take ACT or SAT, what SAT IIs you should take, go over if you are not doing enough extracurricularly (whether in clubs, sports, or arts). Basically it covers everything. Junior year you get your college counselor, all three of which are great. There is a great new college office now with candy and couches and its awesome. Anyways, you can talk to you college counselor about anything and they will give you great answers.

For sports it really depends at NA, like our tennis teams are always really good. We have decent teams in other sports, but nothing compared to tennis, and then we are pretty bad at like football and basketball and stuff like that. But we're also a very small school compared to like Pingry.

Now for COLLEGE Stuff

Okay this is probably the most important thing for those of you on this site so I will try to provide the best details possible for this. PM me if you want to know more about the school generally or just the college stuff.

Anyways, NA does a great job getting its students into top schools. They want to make sure everyone goes to where they want to, but also make sure to space out applications. By this I mean, like only a certain amount of kids are getting into Stanford ever year, so even if 12 kids want to apply there early, they are going to advise some of those kids to apply to like Northwestern or something (depends on what they student likes) instead, because they want that student to get into the best school possible for them. Of course it is up to the students at the end. What this does is kind of optimize for students where they're getting in.
    We have a lot of kids every year go to ivies and an increasing amount going to Stanford, Duke, MIT, Vandy.
    Our most popular schools are definitely UPenn WashU and NYU (though I feel like NYU is decreasing in popularity. Columbia, Cornell, Northwestern, Lehigh are also really popular. In the past we've had like slightly over 20% go to ivies, more than that get accepted though (as some will choose good schools they got scholarships to or got in good programs to like the medical program at Northwestern). This year we had a lot get into some top schools. We have 3 going to Harvard, 2 to Stanford, 4 got into Yale but I only think 1 is going. A bunch to Columbia and Penn. We also have some kids go to top LACs like Williams and Middlebury. And then we have a bunch go to like Michigan. We do pretty. For example, for the class of 2017 over 60 percent of the class went to a top 30 national university or top 20 LAC.

For testing the kids do a great job. I would not credit that to the school necessarily, but whatever. For example this year 4 students in the graduating class got a perfect score on the Acts. A ton got a 35 and probably 25 percent got at least a 34 or the equivalent on the SAT. Students also do well on the Sat IIs AP tests and IB tests