Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Private High Schools in New Jersey

1234568»

Replies to: Private High Schools in New Jersey

• tutu17tutu17 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    As a mom of three students who graduated from a private school in NJ I think the fit of a school is more important than the list of where students are going to college and more importantly, getting students into the right college outweighs statistics of how many kids are sent to ivies. Read:" Where You Go Is Not Who You''ll Be" by Frank Bruni. Just my opinion of course.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,912 Senior Member
    ^^Totally agree, @tutu17. A couple year ago, a private school where friends had kids (not in Nj) saw a full 20% of the graduating class not return to the college where they had matriculated. Based on the schools they were leaving, suggested that the college counseling had been more about results that looked good rather than good fit for the kids.
  • ab23momab23mom Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited October 2018
    Despite the new math and science building, a gorgeous campus and a strong teaching staff, MBS is not very academic. The philosophy of the school is minimal homework, minimal stress and no tracking. You will not find academic rigor at this school. Instead the focus is on "finding one's passion", travel, sports and extra curriculars. The administration shuns standardized tests and the majority of the students do not take AP classes (nor do they sit for AP exams.) There isn't any tracking, so regular students are in the same classes as honors students. This holds back the academically gifted students and many leave for a more academically fulfilling high school. College placement is not good. No graduates in the 2018 class went to an Ivie. .
  • sadler6sadler6 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    You are right. MBS is different. I do not know if it is more relaxed rather than an alternative way of teaching. Classes are very small and longer so all students are forced to participate in the discussion. Also, the school allows upper classmen to study and create areas of study/courses that expand outside the norm with full academic support. Phenomenal opportunity and great for the transcript for the more gifted students. Students seem to be happier and more engaged. I do know that two (2) students got in to UPenn in 2018. Graduating class was only about 96 students. Have you ever heard a student not speak highly of MBS? That speaks volumes. I think that students have a lot of pride in their school. That being said, I have really not heard much negativity on NA. Actually, it is a great school too. I have heard some negative feedback from borh students and parents on Pingry. I do not think the potential ivy connection is worth putting my child through that environment. It is about truly learning and enjoying the experience. NA and MBS appear to be able to provide that environment in a positive, successful and co-educational environment.
  • GudmomGudmom Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    If you look back to the question that started all of this, it is very clear that MBS was your first choice to begin with. Your son appears to have concurred, so that is great. I hope he is doing well. I think all of the above schools could be great for the right student, so no need to over-analyze trying to find the “right answer”. As you have found out, all that really matters is that it is the right environment for your child.
  • sattutsattut Registered User Posts: 970 Member
    You can take AP classes at almost any public school, so I don't see the point of going to a private school without them. or the equivalent. I understand some people can't get into better private schools and can't do well in AP classes.However, IMO there isn't much value in private schools like that.

I would look at the curriculum as well as matriculation data. You want to see lots of AP classes or equivalent advanced classes. I would also look for classes beyond the AP level, like Calculus III.

Around this part of NJ, Purnell also seems weak academically. I am suspicious of Catholic schools except for the top ones, but Delbarton does have a strong curriculum and matriculation data. Rutgers Prep is decent also.

I do agree that some competitive schools are too pressured, and that goes who colleges and graduate and professional schools also.
  • kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 3,338 Senior Member
    Looks like Purnell has switched gears and is now catering to girls with learning disabilities. Their academics were never strong (lots of arts instead) and now it looks like they have decided to take a totally different route.
  • chemmchimneychemmchimney Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    Re APs, many top prep schools are abandoning APs in favor of their own courses which are more rigorous than APs not less. The best schools don’t want to be confined to teaching to the AP tests which involve more memorization and not as much critical thinking. Students still have the option of taking the AP exams at the courses end. A lack of APs is not necessarily due to a lack of rigor.
  • djv1222djv1222 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    We have children at Pingry and were initially concerned with the reputation of stress and competition. While it has only been a few months so far In the upper school, we’ve been super happy with the decision. The teachers are wonderful and very accessible to the students. The advisory program is effective and personal. The students are expect to participate in class, seek teacher help, follow schedules. We have noticed a large growth in maturity in our children while getting a fantastic education. They can no longer “hide” as they did in public school. A large portion of the Pingry students are multiple sport athletes, which fit our children well. It is all about fit, but we’ve been very pleased with Pingry so far and haven’t seen the stress and cut throat aspect, yet.
1234568»